Boardgaming in 2018!

I’m not sure I agree – I think that How to Play video highlights some really interesting aspects of Catan.

Nope. I’m always right. Just ask my ex!

Here it is, 2018, and we’re talking about Settlers of Catan! :)

Settlers of Catan is exactly the sort of game I’m talking about when I say good boardgame design wasn’t invented until about ten years ago.

-Tom, hater

I don’t see the problem. I think Catan is a fantastic game.

Catan has historical value, and it is a good reference game to have played.

Catan is fun to play, just saying. I don’t really care where it rates on the board game scale. I’ll not turn down a chance to play.

no problem…

I dunno what I did to deserve getting dunked on by Tom multiple times in this thread but I’m really digging it :)

I’ll take some of the heat off of you, for your enjoyment of the terrible game Catan.

I like Citadels, and its always ready for when we jus want a short game. It’s one of our groups favorite <30 minute games. I see that look Tom. You too Bruce.

Citadels is great, I’ll back that one up.

Thirded.

WHAT IS HAPPENING???

-Tom

I don’t like where this is going. Not at all.

I have never played Catan, but I did play the Star Trek Catan and felt it was, OK? ish? Not terrible?

I mean compared to more modern designs that are comparably light such as Century Spice Road or Azul, it’s a pale shadow of their excellence.

It doesn’t suck outright but compared to the more recent and better designs, it’s kinda… meh.

Agreed, makes me miss monopoly ;)

It has the fundamental problem where, though no fault of your own, you may experience 5-6 turns, or more, where you can do nothing. That a player who gets an early lead in cities is likely to win. That if the dice are not in your favor and you can’t add a new settlement before others place their second, you’re done.

It also is a game that would be fine, if it played in half the time. Really it’s about an hour too long for the level of choice and variety the game presents. That is it’s fundamental flaw. For the length, there are many more interesting games I can play.

I think the fundamental mechanic (getting resources whenever -anyone- rolls specific numbers on your dice and then spending them on things) is enjoyable, but I don’t see any reason to play basic Catan when other games have riffed on that idea much more successfully. Some people would cite Machi Koro, for example. Personally I really disliked Machi Koro when I played it (though, in fairness, it was a perfect storm of badness that would be unlikely to recur) but there are games that follow up that idea with more decision-making and interest value like Valeria: Card Kingdoms, which I can personally vouch for, or there was some space game in that vein that SU&SD were recommending whose name I can’t recall right this second. But heck, even if you must play a Catan branded thing, the two player spinoffs, Starship Catan and especially Rivals for Catan, are way more interesting.

King of Tokyo says “Hi!”

I don’t think it has been mentioned in this thread so far, but the newest version of the DOOM board game (based on the 2016 videogame) is really great. It captures the feel of its digital inspiration, is fairly painless to setup, quick to explain the basics to new players, and doesn’t consume too much time to play (if you go for single missions rather than entire “operations”). Also: features some pretty awesome miniatures.

Garfield did Magic, Netrunner, Robo Rally, King of Tokyo… He has seen a lot of success.

Pre-ordered AH3. I both love and hate myself in equal measure for this…