Boardgaming in 2019!

FFG is so frugal now. I used to hold them high in terms of quality mostly in art. But the last few games I’ve gotten from them mainly AH3 and the AH lcg… the art is merely good but not near the excellence from MOM and AH2. Even a game like Runebound 2 and Talisman…they spent greatly on art. Now they just seem good enough…feel like they’ve turned into Games Workshop…kinda too expensive.

Ah yes, the core set - forgot about that. I’m not above printing proxies for the extras I need but I’ll concede that’s a legit gripe.

Does X-Wing have little square chits with numbers on them? I forget.

No, you’re thinking of something else. I think X-Wing is the one where you put the little wooden blocks on their sides and turn them as they take damage.

-Tom

You laugh Tom, but the answer to Bruce’s question is literally yes.

https://content.invisioncic.com/Mfantflight/monthly_2017_10/59d27fba15169_missingxwingpieces.JPG.f654998d42924be457dd2f87e3740278.JPG

Those are most decidedly NOT “little square chits”. Also, why haven’t you punched those out yet? What’s the matter with you?

-Tom

Because those aren’t mine, since I am currently busy trimming wild mushrooms and don’t want to smear then over my actual chits.

Just like you keep beverages away from your games, I keep wild foraging away from mine. Beer is perfectly acceptable however.

Alright, Arkham Horror’s first expansion Dead of Night finally hit my store. Will be picking it up and playing it extensively this Foreign Invader Day weekend.

I’m expecting it to fulfill my lowest expectation: that it will provide two new scenarios that will be very fun for 2-3 playthroughs before we won’t want to touch it again. Fingers crossed that at some point they add in some kind of randomness to future scenario objectives. They could just model it after the Adventure cards in Eldritch Horror: split the objectives up into 4 acts with several cards per act and draw one. They could still retain the escalating narrative they’re shooting for that way.

So the wife and I got Terrors of London to the table at our local brewery this past weekend. We only played the main box, not the expansion since we were just learning it.

Overall, it was a decent deck building aggresive game. However, there were some significant issues also we found in the game. First, the theme doesn’t really play out in the game at all. While the cards art might be fine for people, we actually found the gameplay to be a series of looking at colors and card test. The overlords, monsters and relics really had no true thematic elements into the gameplay. Fenris, the werewolf overlord, has some synergy with other beast (yellow) cards, but only if his influence cards showed up in the same hand as the beast monsters.

There are only two influence cards in your deck and they are the only thing your overlord uses to build a synergy with monsters. If the card doesn’t appear in your hand, than any monster type is just like another. Even worse, while playing the demon, who has synergy with spirit (blue) monsters, they never showed up in the market to buy at all. This means I had to build my deck with all the other types that had no synergy at all and whenever my influence cards showed up, they just teased me.

Also, the attacking is weird. During your play, you build up power points, and then apply them to your opponent. Instead of feeling like that zombie has attacked your opponent, instead you play the card, add the 1 power to your pool and move on to the next card to play.

The rules also need a bit of a clean up, hordes took a game to understand and then it was confusing about creating and expanding a horde. There wasn’t really a difference and an expanded horde didn’t really have any new effects, each card in a horde just did its horde action regardless of how many cards were in the horde. On top of that, haunt is also very unclear in the rules. These are the only monster cards that get to stay in play between rounds, but the way to handle them and why they get set to dismiss and back is confusing as well.

Finally, in our second game, my wife built a card draw engine that just wiped me out in 5 rounds while I was playing the demon with 50 (the max) health. There is no interrupts or any other way to interact during the other players turns and once they have an engine up before you its just a matter of how many rounds before you are completely dead.

Thanks for the write-up, @Galadin. I was tempted to get Terrors of London based on the artwork and theme, but you’ve confirmed my suspicions that it’s not very well designed. Furthermore this:

…and this:

…are simply intolerable to me. There are too many good – or even just interesting – designs out there to mess around with this kind of muddle.

-Tom

Been waiting for this one for months…the only game I can get my kid to play. Now to learn the behemoth.

They really like black ink.

Lol I got mine a few months back. Then just this week i unexpectedly got another huuuge box. Apparently the expansions shipped separately

Nice of them to include joycons, but can’t imagine how they work in the game.

I opted for the colored option…black was just too overwhelming.

why hasn’t anyone mentioned to me that there is an area control strategy game where you can pit Rose from The Golden Girls against Lord Voldemort?

That was a month ago.

Sorry. I was being facetious, and hadn’t seen it.

Just got my Cloudspire box of goodies. Nice amount of content with solo and coop scenarios galore.

I enjoyed Hoplo Origins but not the others too much and did not really like TMB…although I appreciated that game.

Will be plunging into this once I get off the USS Nemesis.

AAA releases this week!

And presenting this week’s “WTF?” release: