Boardgaming in 2019!

Heh, considering how much Target has expanded their game options, that seems like a shame.

I know!

A game like Villainous, for example, started as a Target exclusive. And was a damn solid game to boot.

Walmart too! I mean there are actually good quality games in these box stores now.

Agreed.

I am also in the camp where I didn’t realize I was supposed to hate Exploding Kittens. I honestly just haven’t had a chance to play.

My heart

Speaking of which, board game sale at Amazon today. Just bought this and Queendomino for under 30.

I have a game night coming up at work that 11 people have signed up for, so I grabbed the Saboteur set off Amazon for less than $12 since that plays up to 12. Has anyone played Saboteur? I know it’s fairly well thought of, so I bought first and figured I’d read rules and ask questions later, lol.

Link? I’m not seeing anything.

-Tom

https://www.amazon.com/deal/7a7fa7b8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?&showVariations=true&searchAlias=toys&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=5638165a-11b6-4c6e-9f7d-2152a30ae2b0&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=5550342011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=704V59GZ32XHF27NSXDY&linkCode=sl2&tag=arstech20-20&linkId=577441d8aab1e3731a03bf62b7606bf0&language=en_US

Same. The proprietor of our local game store highly recommends it but we’ve never gotten around to playing at yet.

The sales are all collected here! Seems like a few things have dropped/been added throughout the day, so if you’ve got your eye on anything in particular I suggest checking back a couple of times.

Thanks agape and Tatiora for the links. I’ve put Terror Below, Sentinels of the Multiverse: Oblivaeon, and the latest edition of Run, Fight, or Die in my cart. Now to spend the rest of the day pondering whether to actually press the “order” button…

-Tom

launch

Ooh, this is a great price for this:

One of my favorite roll-dice-for-everyone-economic-engine games, kind of like Mochi Koro, but if Mochi Koro were more cutthroat. You’re scavengers in a post-apocalypse. A nano-apocalypse, actually, although I’m not sure what that even is. The cool thing about Colony is that it’s as interactive as you want it to be. It’s modular to a fault, because you pick which buildings are used in any given game, which determines what type of game you’ll be playing. Pirating each other? Squirreling away precious resources? Processing raw materials? Trading with each other? Building up victory points? Or some combination of options? There are recommended sets of buildings in the rules book, so it’s not like you have to make your own game. But it’s one of those games that is actually about five or six different games, depending on what playstyle you want.

Also, it’s by the guy who made Suburbia, so it’s got that going for it.

-Tom

I got rid of my physical editions of Sentinels. I’m all in on the pc/android app for this.

Thanks again, everyone! I woke up to more great picks from MattW and Tatiora. I knew I could count on y’all for excellent suggestions.

I started out thinking I would just get one or two games but, as I wrote last night, now I’m thinking a whole bunch of these would be pretty epic. We often have lame and cranky Friday nights. We all end up scattered around the house, alone with our dumb screens and suddenly it’s bedtime and we’re all a day closer to the grave.

I’ve tried game nights in the past with games that interest me (Carcasonne was one of them) but my younger daughter is headstrong and dramatic af. Sometimes it’s easier to avoid the frustration by just not playing games together. But, of course, the games will teach her how to handle frustration like a good sport. (Not to mention plenty of brain-type stuff.) So I gotta keep trying.

Hopefully if I pick a bunch of games that might appeal to her and I let her pick what we’re going to play, it’ll go better. That’s my Christmas wish, anyway, and I’m willing to throw some money at it.

EDIT: Santas’ elves are hard at work bringing us:

Takenoko
Wingspan
Azul
Kingdomino
Sushi Go Party
Potion Explosion
My Little Scythe
5 Minute Dungeon

It’s a great conversion, isn’t it? I had my physical copy of all the Sentinels stuff in the “get rid of” pile for a while. But eventually I decided I like the game too much to let the cards go. Even though it can be a pain to track all that detail, especially after playing on the app, it’s still a solid tabletop game if you just want to pull out three heroes, an environment, and a villain. I don’t think I’ll ever do the full-on Oblivaeon Cardpocalypse, but it seems like there’s enough general content in there in terms of new heroes and environments to be worth the $20.

-Tom

The new heroes and such are great. As for the main event… well. I just think it tries to use the Sentinels foundation for something it isn’t meant to do.

I agree. I played the digital version for almost 300 hours and got every achievement, but something about Obliviaeon mode just breaks my brain. There is so much happening at once, heroes dying left and right, all without me even getting an inkling about what would be a smart thing to do. I mean, I guess that conveys the feeling you’d get if you’re out there fighting when all of existence ist at stake, but I’m more a “beating up Mysterio” type of guy.

Can’t imagine doing all that with real cards, too.

Back from the first day of PAX, managed to play:

Dreams of Tomorrow
Which was a odd little game with a mutable rondel and some light tableux building. Would not play again.

Sanctum
Saw this at the CGW room. It’s another addition to the growing genre of adventure euro games, where your character is a euro-style cube engine. I quite enjoyed it, but it seemed a little easy. Also apparently it’s competitive in some way, but it has effectively zero player interaction and could have been co-op except that you all fight the final boss separately.

The Reckoners
I think most people are familiar with this game, but it was new to me. A co-op dice game with ridiculously over-engineered components (why doesn’t Terraforming Mars have these trays?). It seemed fine, I imaging it appeal to kids who like co-op games, unfortunately I’m neither.

The Taverns of Tiefenthal
This one’s a euro style deck builder with an upgradeable tavern and, of all things, dice drafting. I think the publisher might hope this is the next Quacks of Quedlinburg. It is not. Instead it’s a pretty tame deck builder that feels familiar, yet inferior, to most of the decent ones.

Also looked at the Divinity: Original Sin game, but they were only doing demo’s for the press. Looked intriguing though.

Also, also, Lockup: A Roll Player Tale looked cool, but I missed my demo spot at their booth.

Most impressive booth I saw today was Archon Games with a huge black tower dominating the east of the convention hall. They were showing a line of games that all appeared to use a black on black colour theme.

It is the next game from the designer of Quacks of Quedlinburg. No comment on its quality, of course.

I mentioned just recently that Machina Arcana is a solo friendly Lovecraftian game that is outside of the FFG sort of retread. The second edition is near availability. The developer seems to have really looked too closely at things he should not have. This is his latest Kickstarter update about the “Purging Ritual” as the final print editions reach port: