Boardgaming in 2019!

Yeah this is really baffling for the 4th expansion (5th if you include the new board) to be kickstarted. I don’t get it. TM sells extremely well.

Upon some BGG investigation, it appears that this is a 1v1 card game. A casual glance at the cards doesn’t see anything jump out at me, artistically or mechanically. I’m seeing stuff like a card that says “return the top card of your graveyard to your hand”.

edit: don’t get me wrong, I’m sure the game is fine, but Magic is, like, right over there, you know?

Stronghold didn’t do Kickstarters. Then they (he) merged with Indie Boards and Cards, who had Kickstarter experience, and now Stronghold is doing Kickstarters. I guess they figure they’ll get to keep a lot more money than they would going through retail initially?

I’ll be interested to see where this one ends up funding at. I know a lot of people love Terraforming Mars so much that they’d pay quite a bit for anything put out for it (and already have), but the switch to Kickstarter + the fact that it’s the 5th expansion… maybe interest will wane a bit.

I’m dismayed. I wish everyone would boycott it but it’s already funded by a couple thousand percent. This is a hard no for me, and I love TM.

It’ll be at retailers too. If nothing else I’m
backing at a retailer level and can sell you a copy.

I’ll consider it on release. And I’m keeping you in mind for future purchases in general. :)

Anachrony expansion Kickstarter is up, if anybody is interested. Also includes a big box option with all the extras from the original Kickstarter.

I think I might back it just for this.

There are a few variations of these available from etsy:

That’s the cheapest no-frills one.

-Tom

I’m Europe based though, so I have to add shipping and customs. When I looked into trays before, there wasn’t anything particularly worthwhile looking that wasn’t too expensive to be worth it. The European options were like EUR 10 each. The Kickstarter price gets you five mats. Even at the price of that cheap Etsy thing, I’m basically getting the expansion for almost nothing.

The mats would make the game much more playable; it’s the most common complaint about the game. It’s utter bullshit that they’re making it a Kickstarter exclusive. Almost makes me not want to buy anything from Stronghold again.

My partner bought ours from Chaos Cards. We have a few broken ones on arrival, but they sent replacements, so we have an excess number of boards!

However she’s also backed this, so not sure what we’re going to do with even MORE player boards…

An expansion I’d like to see is replacing all the horrible, semi-transparent plastic cubes with wooden ones :)

Just took a look at the Kickstarter to see what “stretch goals” it’s unlocked, and I don’t see a specific retailer level. Which one is it?

Eh, I like the cubes, they feel futuristic!

In the future, everything will be spheres.

image http://www.quickmeme.com/img/0f/0f53301598c1ca7494068299757c71d1304515b962ef5a9a599677b64cfaf71e.jpg

The future of boardgame pieces is M&Ms. Clearly.

Wingspan seemed to get away with shipping mini-eggs as components.

Tom if you like a good post-apocalypse, have you looked at Fallen Land?

This game is the closest ive seen to Wasteland 2 becoming a board game. Its very unique in many ways it plays similar to a souped up Eldritch Horror mechanically, but is a competitive point scoring game. Its much more interesting than the Fallout game IMO. you control a party of 5 characters who you equip (each with unique abilities, stats, and weight limits). You can also take and equip a vehicle if you find one (and is considered a 6th party member).

Your goal is to gain influence 20 prestige and out influence your competition OR soup up your base with upgrades and people (called town health) till the point it becomes a teaming metropolis (60 town health).

You have 4 weeks each turn to complete missions, have encounters, or harass other players camps or resource centers, or even commit PVP. its very simulation, in that just about anything you can think you would want your party to do, you can do in the game. Its a very unique gaming experience, and everyone that i’ve played with so far feels its meaty enough to be a PC game in its own right (in fact it would make the character buffs from equipment easier to track).

Naga Raja has been on my list for a while. Looking forward to trying it out.
Vesper, what did you think of HoLAS?

Didn’t play a full game yet but gave my thoughts on podcast this week. Should be posted tomorrow!