Boardgaming in 2019!

Hmm… Not even a hint, or did you? Didn’t play a full game.
Well hope it works for you.

Can I say this is an expensive year for gaming. I was really hoping it wouldn’t be. I’ve been trying to be good with not buying new games, but then they just realease expansions that the completionist in me can’t say, “no” to.

U-Boot (super excited to try this)
Tainted Grail
Nemesis expansion
Lords of Hellas expansion
Anachrony expansion
Tsukuyumi
Great Western Trail expansion
Cmon finally let me order the Rising Sun mat and far east expansion with the ks extras.
Armada Expansions.

Then Escape Plan landed yesterday. Looks like another Vital winner. While I think Ian O’Toole’s art does a great job of keeping things clean and easy to read, I kind of hate it, but he’s the artist to beat these days. The KS add-ons are completely unecessary so plus for those who waited, but if you did back they are giving you a discount on, “On Mars” which launches tomorrow.

I’m also looking at Fallen Land too. Much of the gameplay looks similar to another favorite of mine–Duel of Ages 2.

Anyway, Fallen Land reprint is going to be launched on KS soon so there will be a good chance to buy it at lower price point.

Has anyone gotten Middara? Looks very bloated but at the same time very “this looks like it’s made for Tom Chick kind of game”. I’m still interested to hear the feedback here.

So what are folks’ views here on Anachrony? I tried it Sunday 3 player and thought it had great concepts but I it didn’t feel very balanced playing it, and it felt long and somewhat fiddly. I think the teaching was a bit incomplete so maybe that was a factor, but I also felt the placement slots in a 3 player game were just too damn tight, and I also had some real issues with certain aspects of balance (the build action is vital, the other actions much less so).

On the other hand, I was very intrigued by some of the concepts. I’m trying to decide if I want to give it a second try, perhaps avoiding the 3 player game due to the tightness of the board.

Whoa, that looks really cool, and exactly like the sort of thing I’d like. If it was a solitaire game. :(

This guy’s comments make me think I’d never get this to the table as it was intended. I don’t mind those kind of “flip up cards and roll dice and let a story happen” games when I’m just playing solitaire. In fact, I’m totally on board with that stuff! Basically, as you call it, the Eldritch Horror mechanic. But I wouldn’t want to drag my friends into that kind of game, especially the friends who would have the patience to learn something as apparently intricate as Fallen Land.

Damning with faint praise, indeed. :)

The community player count on BGG says it’s playable with 1 player, but the designers say otherwise. It sounds like the real pushback is trying to do better than the other players. Without the other players, is there much point?

Also, this image from the rules book tells me all I need to know:

I find that pretty endearing. I’m not even being facetious!

-Tom

Please. What do you take me for?

-Tom

Anachrony is in my top 10 games. Slots are very tight in all player counts. It is fiddly, but not overly so and it can be long, but doesn’t feel it. You’re always engaged. Mindclash games are also known for their iconography. It’s pretty, but not intuitive at all. Cerebria is another awesome mindclash game, but teaching it to people is painful. That game needs sleeves with actions written on the cards.

Did you play with the mechs or just the cardboard bits? Those plastic mechs go a long way to increasing the fun of the game.

Did you play with the a or b sides of the board? You really have to play the asymmetrical sides to appreciate everything going on and then choosing your starting resources should match up with the leader you choose.

Anachrony is also brutal, much like Trickerion, and you can hose yourself in later rounds. How many mechs do you send? How many resources are you going to request from the future? Control for 1st player while not an absolute, can be vitally important. You sometimes have to give up an action so you can secure it for the next round.

The most important thing you have to decide very early into the game is what are you going to focus on. You can win many different ways, but you have to pick one. You can’t really go for a balanced approach. I’ve won games where I didn’t even complete my cataclysm objective and instead focused on my player board and buildings that would give me an engine to generate points. You don’t lose points, if you don’t go there. Always expect the game to end the round the cataclysm is on. You can try and not use the main board, but most people try and end it there if someone is delaying so be careful.

The Chronobot is an excellent single player ai.

There is another expansion that game wth my copy that adds another board and the ability to mod your mech. Then you take the mech on an archeology dig to find items. Again you have to decide what your going to focus on. That said you can if you play right skip the entire main board and just do digs. I suspect that if all players are doing it you’ll have jump back and forth.

There is another expansion that focuses on 4 players. I haven’t played where two of the players are working towards stoping the cataclsym while the other two are trying to ensure it happens.

It takes 2 or 3 games to really understand the game and I’m still trying to master it. It is very easy to get distracted by super projects,cataclysm goals, and buildings. Don’t give up on it if you enjoyed it at all, I also recommend Trickerion. It’s another worker placement game they made. The story is the prestige meets willy wonka. You’re all 19th century magicians via to become the best performer. you’ll have to hire assistants, purchase materials, learn and perform tricks and visit the dark alley to altar the fates.

Tom pls. KDM, Shadows of Brimstone, and many more CMON games in your closet you’re too embarrassed to share.

I have Fallen Lands and will only play solo. The solo rules from the expansion can be used in the base game…lots of cool ideas, can’t wait to try it out.

Haven’t played Middara, but Tom V on bgg loves it. Sounds light a lighter version of Gloomhaven (in theme not play). Sounds cool, but not a game for me.

Aerion is up at Miniature Market!

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/zmgzm4904.html

I haven’t got the scratch at the moment, but I will be keeping an eye on it to be sure as I love Shadi games!

That’s another thing that bugged me about the SU&SD review of Blood on the Clocktower: they’ve consistently dumped on overproduced games with hard to justify prices, especially CMON game entries. At the very least they’ve mentioned it as.a caveat.

That whole review really was an infomercial.

The expansion has a full solo player design. I haven’t played it yet, but from what ive read the action cards that are hostile are the key aspect of driving the challenge against you.

Lacerda’s new game On Mars opened its Kickstarter today. I like Lacerda’s games and I like Mars games, but it’s Kickstarter so no. Also, getting a Lacerda game to the table is nigh impossible with my gaming groups, and given Rahdo’s impressions, this would be a real bitch to teach. And, you know, it’s $90. I’m kind of done with $90 board games.

Ok @Vesper @Wendelius @pod @AWS260 and @Don_Quixote thanks for the suggestions.

So based on what we have, and what was said, we’re doing the following:

Love Letter
No Thanks (had this one forever)
Gloom (had completely forgot about it)
Sushi Go
Bohnanza
One of the new Unlock games

And my collection of iPhone games like Ticket to Ride

The only one I didn’t have was Sushi Go, my brother has a copy we’ve played but this was a good excuse to get my own. Don’t know why I didn’t think of this before, honestly.

Sushi Go and Exploding Kittens are my go-to throw-in-a-bag and take to a party/camping/hangout/waiting-room, etc games. (At home we play Sushi Go Party.) I actually have a couple copies of each because they’re so cheap, and I just swap them in when the cards inevitably wear out/get chewed/stepped/spilled on.

Have finally played Spirit Island with both the Heart of the Wildfire and the new Burning Plague spirits, I love them both but I actually feel a little guilty that I’ve more or less rendered the island uninhabitable beyond the unicellular level.

They must have sold through their supply in preorders at CoolStuff because it’s already out of stock there. I have a hold order at CSI (with a copy of Quacks at $30) that I was hoping to add it to.

I was hoping there’d be some gameplay videos out by now, but I can’t find anything out there.

Wow! Great news for Shadi and Zman, I promise the thing said it had 20+ copies when I posted!

MiniatureMarket is showing 20+ like you said, just CSI is sold out.

ah gotcha, sorry I misunderstood your post.