Boardgaming in 2019!

Hey! You’re still around! Hope you’re well.

I have no recollection, either- I barely remembered who was in the game, heh. Perhaps @Alan_Au was there and remembers? I remember him being around for some of those game nights, too.

If you have the base game as well, let me know :)

Nope!

SU&SD has issues with Batman: Gotham City Chronicles:

I think it’s neat. It’s got an alternative comix Mike Diana meets R. Crumb thing going on there.

I have the replaced cards from the base game that are both the wrong size and incorrectly printed so you can tell the good cards from the bad ones before you draw them. Between those and triggercut’s expansion, you’d have a full set!

-Tom

The pre-ordering of the boardgame for the best video game franchise ever is now live on Amazon.

Tom Bunk AND the Garbage Pail Kids would call that hideous.

Yeah, I still poke around here once in a while. All is good here in Vermont, and I wish you the same in Seattle (or wherever else you might be these days).

I’m pretty sure Alan was there, as well as Anaxagoras. One other person, too, since I remember running that Overlord game but not playing.

Dungeon Degenerates is great fun! And the art is awesome. Dungeonpunk ftw.

Agreed.

7th Continent underway. Thanks to @David2 and @kiffist for joining!

What the heck! MGS by Emerson Matsuuchi? What an incredibly weird combo.

Recommended for play:

That’s actually a link to the soundtrack, which is what I am recommending.

So has anyone else here been playing Thunderstone Quest? I have a friend who got the full big box kickstarter (Chapters 1 to 5 plus promo stuff) and now he received Chapters 6 & 7 along with the Barricades expansion.

Barricades I like. It turns the competitive game into co-op but pumps up the pressure by having the boss Guardian attack the village. It also adds “Prestige Classes” which we’ve been using to replace the side quests, and is a solid expansion overall IMO.

However, I am very underwhelmed by Chapter 6 thus far. Today’s game was really long, fiddly, and just not as good as earlier games. Perhaps the game starts to break if you play too long in campaign mode. My friend and I have now played all 14 adventures in Chapters 1 to 5, plus the first adventure in Chapter 6, in campaign mode, which means you add one card from your deck for each completed adventure. Thus our normal 12 card starting decks have ballooned to 26 cards.

Or maybe, chapter 6 is just the point at which “cool expansion features” segues into “how can we make this different to sell more content?”. I felt the new classes, items, spells and weapons in chapter 6, with one exception (the Acid Burst spell), were pretty poor. Fiddly, not that different from prior content, and didn’t really add enough to justify the extra delay and complexity. The new classes in particular left me flat.

We’ll probably keep on (although I have to say my desire is flagging), but it’s an interesting case study in expansion-itis. Barricades IMO is a good expansion, justifying the extra delay and complexity it adds to the game by offering genuinely new and interesting variations. Chapter 6 OTOH made me feel like @tomchick looking at a table full of Eldritch Horror expansions.

I have been waiting a long time to get my copy of Thunderstone Quest in the mail. I skipped the first KS because I am not into competitive or semi cooperative score chase games. However the new Barricades mode opens up the whole game to me. I like co-op and heavy theme deck-builders. This one is very much that as you take your fledgling party of adventurers and see them level up and gain equipment in a deck-building system. The Guardians (big bads of Thunderstone) were seemingly pushover punching bags only good for score explosion in the competitive game. In barricades however, they seem pretty themeatic with the threat dice and they are darn mean too.

We played several games over the weekend. I still need to organize it all, but I got enough ready to play the first chapter of Mirror in the Dark in Barricades. One player had the Arcane prestige class (a secondary side board that gives that player special abilities as they do thematic actions to level up their class) and I had the Bloodhound prestige class. Focusing on magic, the Arcane player picked up wizards and spells while I focused on rogues, bows, and a splash of clerics. Each of our games ended rough as Smorga the spider queen burst forth on about turn nine to eat our town. We had lots of discussion and tried several modifications throughout the weekend. The last play had my much more gold flush build buying expensive spells to hand off (you can lend or give cards to another player if you form a party when you go into the dungeon) expensive spells since the wizards seem to lack money generation. She did include a few knowledge tomes and one rogue to boost income too. It went much better and I am eager to play more.

I really like the modularity of the dungeon tiles which is a step beyond the usual heroes/items/spell marketplace stuff. Also the quests, randomizers, and “epic” options add some serious mileage to this thing. But most of all, I think I really appreciate the theme that comes with specific heroes gaining experience (which always competes with the player’s personal prestige choices for experience) to level their class as they individually wield weapons. Seeing your cleric heal as you high level rogue fires the bow and the dwarf warrior dual wields short swords is pretty neat. It is much more engaging than “ok, I spend my 4 monies, now I will use my 8 combat” of most deck-builders.

That said the dungeon phase (combat) is way more fiddly than most deck builders and it eats a lot of time. However, it sort of has a dungeon alliance feel at that part as the players try to crunch out their best choices.

Solid game so far.

Somehow I think it might turn out to be… a Spector Ops clone :s

Anyone have any experience with the Mysterious Package Company? It’s one of those have a package mailed to you with one big mystery to solve. A lot of those suck, but this is high end with prices ranging from $50-$300.

My friend had a mystery person send him one, and for 4 weeks he was getting Lovecraft mythos themed packages showing up at his door with tons of stuff like 19th century newspaper clipping, “artifacts” like giant ancient brass coins, star charts, papyrus scrips with alien languages on them, old photographs, etc.

I was thinking about trying some of the cheaper ones, but was wondering if anyone can comment on the actual puzzle quality to back up the production values.

How’d it go? A couple of days ago, I started a VG playthrough and got stomped before I even left the intro area. Started again last night and am doing better, but I suspect I’m going to be starting a third time before I can finish it.

Re: Mysterious Package Company

I’ve gotten a bunch of them. So far -
Century Beast from the Kickstarter-
It was pretty good. I was distracted for a lot of it, so I didn’t dig that deeply. The final artifact was really well put together but just didn’t grab me visually.

John Augur - Got this for my son for his Birthday. I liked it. More of a coherent storyline, well put together. Final artifact was pretty good, but I think they had to cut some corners on the production for costs.

Post Mortem: Los Angeles - Spent maybe 30 minutes with this. I like it. Like the good parts of Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective but more ephemera (evidence bags). I thought the prop quality was great.

Curios and Conundrums for a bunch of issues - Good prop quality, great newspaper, never found the time to dork with the puzzles.

I still want to get the Adventure Zone one since we’re working through the series. Word is that it’s strictly for fans, and fairly expensive for what you get.

The new Kickstarter looks good, but I only glanced at it.

Which Post Mortem did you get? I just put an order in for Lights, Camera, Murder. The other one is Murder in LA LA Land.