Boardgaming in 2019!

We successfully left the intro area. Then we died. I will likely have some further thoughts in an audio format later.

I got the Lights Camera Murder one.

Any idea if the more expensive ones have more “meatiness” or length to the mystery over the cheaper ones? Or is it just a matter of production value with the props?

For those who are interested, Glorantha The Gods War is back in stock, along with the two expansions.

https://petersengames.com/the-games-shop/glorantha-the-gods-war/

Yes, I ordered them.

There are five addon boxes, Empires, Elder Races, and three individual Monsters sets. Which are you thinking of as the “two” expansions? :)

For the true Gods War experience, between each round you have to play three hundred games of King of Dragon Pass to simulate the passage of time among mortals.

The Empires and Elder Races boxes seem like real expansions. The other three are just $39.99 “monster boxes” that seem kind of cheezoid. But it’s all in stock, so people can go hog wild if they want.

I still think the best Glorantha game is Dragon Pass.

They definitely seem like the most important buys, in that order. I think most people that are into the game would want the four factions in Empires. The Elder Races and Monsters seem wholly optional (we have played with neither yet) but it seems to me like the former would have a larger impact on overall gameplay.

That said, the monsters do some pretty cool stuff too and might be an interesting spanner to throw into people’s plans.

I still think the best Glorantha game is Dragon Pass .

Yes, though I think I enjoyed reading the rulebook more than I enjoyed playing. Certainly loved the diplomacy system, but the superheroes were too important, imo.

I would pay large sums of money for a modernized edition of Dragon Pass, with appropriate minis, a bigger map, cleaned up rules and some revisions to gameplay based on the decades of play experience. Still one of my favorite actual live gameplay experiences, even 30 years later.

Historically accurate!

I reckon yew must be one ah them Red Communists!

Seriously, what’s with people’s love for these horrible, kitschy, unpainted minis? They’re so garish and ugly, and add nothing IMO. Except that they aren’t in stacks so they don’t fall over.

Me too.

Dragon Pass is cool, but a redesign that changed very few mechanics but made the UI more accesible would be great.

I started such a project (made a version of the map and created special rules and diplomacy mat for every faction) but it requires too much dedication and I have too many hobbies.

Any chance of getting a copy of those?

Hmmm, I’ve had a copy of Dragon Pass in my collection for decades and i don’t think I ever even looked at it closely. It sounds like time to remedy that.

Yes it is.

New this week:

I look forward to Tom’s review of Lo♥e Battle! High School.

Really wish I could get excited about Outer Rim…but it just looks so ‘meh’. 🙁

Forgot to mention I’m also getting this:

Not new, but new to my store and a super crunchy space game to boot. I’m excited to try it.