Boardgaming in 2020: the year of the, uh, post-minis era? We can only hope!

That Black Widow deck looks fun, and I bet it will be popular. Are many of you playing the Marvel LCG?

I am! I have Black Widow in the mail, very excited about another Justice hero. It’s my favorite aspect to play at the moment. Though I think Ms. Marvel Leadership is my favorite deck so far.

Hey look it’s another Plaid Hat game that promises a bunch of support with future expansions and more content but will be abandoned by its creator with nary a whisper of anything more ever again. I’m not really bitter about Tail Feathers or anything… am I?

Any chance you’ve got Echoes of the Past for Arkham LCG? Been trying to find that one for a while now; it’s the last one I need from that cycle.

It’s actually reviewing so well I’m grabbing a copy for myself. But yes, I am fairly cynical on Plaid Hat crossroads games.

Backordered at the moment but I will see if I can get one for you.

The answer is Tough Cookie.

Every single review says the game as is is awesome. If it never gets an expansion, it’s still well worth the asking price. Mind you, that’s hearsay for me, as I bought it but have yet to play it.

Back to the Future - Back in Time. What a truly awful subtitle.

What’s wrong with it? That’s the same name as one of the Huey Lewis songs from the movie.

It’s insipid compared to the main branding, and it’s also sort of a tautology with it.

OK sorry, I don’t speak corporate.

We finished our King’s Dilemma tabletop sim campaign tonight after several sessions. I think it’s probably a little overlong? It does some really interesting things with the basic formula, and for quite a while it’s great fun, and the writing (in my opinion of course) was creative and compelling throughout. But in the last sessions I often didn’t feel like I could reasonably push very much for my secret agenda and my remaining house achievements seemed completely out of reach (as indeed they turned out to be - I never got them. turns out in part because the resource-based one was directly counter to one of the other players so we tended to tug of war inconclusively). So unless I had a storyline stake I wasn’t nearly as invested in the decisions anymore. Fortunately the last bits of the final storyline we did perked things back up, and then the way they wrap things up is pretty interesting. Just…that little bit slow at the end.

Next up is probably Imperial Assault.

Just bought Spirit Island to play with my buddy… We love co-op games and can spend hours analyzing and planning when we play together. Did I make a good choice?

Also bought Flip Ships because it sounded like a bunch of fun to mix in a dexterity game. Anyone play that?

You made a good choice with Spirit Island. Have not played Flip Ships.

I have pictures of @Lykurgos collapsed on the floor, head in hands after a near miss. And that was playing the tutorial difficulty. That game is tough and hilarious.

If you enjoy dexterity and the theme, I think it’s going to be a hit (no pun intended).

I’ve only played Spirit Island once. At a boardgame cafe a couple of weeks before confinement became a thing. I found it somewhat complex to grasp in a noisy environment, but very, very cool and incredibly deep. The game beat us handily. I’d happily replay it again.

Spirit Island is my favorite cooperative game, especially with 2 players. It gets around the alpha gamer problem by giving you so many choices and being so asymmetrical that it is hard enough to play your own spirit. This also means that it can bog down with players prone to analysis paralysis and gets harder to find a reasonable plan with more players. I’ve played it with 3 players and that worked pretty well. But I don’t intend to try with 4.

Note that the complexity comes more from the number of options you have and the number of interactions between different game elements, than from the rules.

I resemble this remark. Flip Ships is an absolute wonder of a game. It gets you up, moving, laughing, nearly crying, and yeah, sometimes, back on the floor again. For a long time I had prejudice against “dexterity games”, thinking them unworthy to join a collection of thoughtful eurogames with elegant mechanics. Screw that, have some super fun, super funny games like this in your collection!

Yes! That is the type of feedback I was hoping for!

Played a couple of games of Forgotten Waters today and really enjoyed it. I took a few photos and am planning on doing a write up tomorrow. My initial feedback though: Plaid Hat finally put together a great Crossroads/Storybook game.