Boardgaming in 2020: the year of the, uh, post-minis era? We can only hope!

More new games:

WesternLEgendsWildBunchofExtras

Was there a James Bond Legendary game I missed, or is that somehow an expansion to one of the others?

Spoiler: I couldn’t resist and yes it is. My son and I are having a great time with it.

I love these posts, @Vesper. They always send me down a rabbit hole of “ooh, what’s that?”

Babylonia looks like it’s just Tigris and Euphrates. For a minute, I got excited thinking Knizia had done something new and more modern.

Call to Adventure. Ugh. What a turd. Just ugh. The last add-on wasn’t even an add-on. It was an instead-of. You took out cards from the base set, replaced them with new cards, and played the game that way. I guess it did add one dumb new system for earning bonuses. But, still, what a godawful game.

I got momentarily excited when I saw Fantasy Flight’s Fallout Shelter game was made by Andrew Fisher! I like Andrew Fisher’s Oh My Goods, Hong Kong Blackout, and Maracaibo designs. I’d be curious to see what he does with a Fallout shelter game. Oh, wait, the games I’m thinking of were made by Alexander Pfister, not Andrew Fisher. Doh.

The Magnificent reminds me of a Victory Point game we used to play a lot called Circus Train. Each player’s circus traveled the US during the Prohibition era, competing for the most astounding acts: the funniest clowns, the most death-defying acrobats, the most terrifying lion taming acts, that most majestic elephants. You could even venture up into Canada to pick up booze to loosen up your audience. I wonder if Circus Train holds up. I doubt it. I house-ruled a few things in Circus Train that felt really half-baked, but it was before I decided any game that needed house-ruling wasn’t worth the time spent playing. Anyway, The Magnificent looks cool. That one merits further investigation as a possibule Circus Train replacement!

Undaunted also looks really cool. A World War II tactics game set first in Normandy (snooze…) goes to North Africa? Sweet! Why couldn’t it have been a solitaire game?

-Tom

I’m really excited about Babylonia! It looks more like Samurai or Through the Desert to me, but I honestly can’t get enough of those Knizia tile-laying games. Unfortunately it sounds like it’s better with more players and I don’t know when I’ll get to play board games with more than 2 again.

Yep you missed it! Came out late last year.

Last GenCon, I tried Undaunted Normandy. Enjoyed some of the mechanics but found fighting to be a bit of a slog. I’ve heard that might be improved with the North Africa version. Is your store open for customers @Vesper? I might have to make a drive-by…

We are playing like zillions of boardgames on Discord. Currently we have Brass: Birmingham, Ride the Rails, Gaia Project, and Pandemic Legacy going, and we recently finished games of Pax Pamir, Concordia, Ecos, Notre Dame, Dragon Castle, Gunkimono, etc. etc.

So why are you still sitting here reading this when you could be asking me for an invite!

Got the charging notice for Versailles 1919

But I still haven’t played Imperial Struggle yet

Yep! Reopened in May with mask and capacity restrictions as well as no in store gaming. Please give the store a call first to see if there is a copy of Undaunted available for you- not there today so not sure if there are holds already.

If you all are playing asynchronous, send me an invite! Especially if I can convince you to play Teotihuacan on BGA because that is one of my favorites at the moment. If you’re playing on TTS, unfortunately my baby is the biggest reason I can’t play games at the moment, covid is only a close second.

It’s asynchronous but all done on discord, via pictures.

Like that! Still interested?

If you own that game you mentioned, maybe you could run it!

I’m down for Teotihuacan anytime. I’m Shieldwolf on bga

Same. I miss the expansions on bga but I still have a game or two going there at any given time. If you guys are making a game and need players you can add me (MikeCathcart).

City of the big shoulders is on BGA as well. If you want a good crunchy economic game, I highly, highly recommend it.

@Dave_Perkins Sounds fun, send me an invite! I’d love to see how it works. I’m willswannack#6060 over there.

@Shieldwolf and @Mike_Cathcart I sent you invitations to a Teotihuacan game! I haven’t played there yet, but excited to check it out. That’s too bad it doesn’t have the expansions. I’m really fond of the new Construction and Decoration boards in the first expansion. The extra unlock symbols really open up the game in some interesting ways.

Thanks saw it. I’m trying to get my hands on the 2nd expansion as it has new techs which I really thought the game needed more of. It also doesn’t support solo play. Sorry, #Tom Chick

I really like City of the Big Shoulders too. I haven’t tried BGA at all.

It’s good. City of the Big plays well on the site.

Undaunted Normandy is really fantastic, though I can understand preferring a North Africa setting. Haven’t picked up the sequel yet as I still have to get through all the scenarios in the base game, but I definitely will eventually. They’re pretty cheap, too, so no excuse not to play them. Other than being stuck in isolation, of course.