Boardwalk Empire

I liked episode two, more subtle yet just as hard hitting.

How can you possibly say “subtle” in connection with this episode? It was really graceless and heavy-handed - more than any HBO show I can think of offhand.

I still hope it’s still finding its way, but can you better explain what you meant about it being subtle (and what you liked in general)?

On the subtle side of the fence here; wondering what stuck you as so heavy-handed?

Now I realize where I recognize Al Capone (ie: Stephen Graham) from. He played “Tommy” in Snatch! Holy shit, talk about a different character. And he does a flawless American accent too. I really love that guy.

He played basically the same character in Public Enemies, where he had a pretty big part as Baby Face Nelson, another Prohibition-era gangster.

“Whats motherfucker mean?”

Hehehe, awesome.

This episode didn’t seem to have as much going on in it. Still good, but not as great as the first two episodes.

Uh, is there any actual evidence that Lucky Luciano had gonorrhea and was impotent, or is that just a goofy potshot?

Luciano as a dumb, hotheaded, unsophisticated, impotent, STD-laden thug is senselessly stupid revisionism. I guess next FDR will show up with a penchant for fart jokes and crying for his mother while stuttering.

Derp derp derp.

Yeah, he had gonorrhea. He claimed he contracted it on purpose to avoid the draft. BTW, Capone died of syphilis.

This is starting to get weird: it seems like the casting director for Boardwalk called up the casting directors for Sopranos and Public Enemies and said “Give me everybody you’ve got.”

Eli’s blonde deputy played the brute FBI agent in Public Enemies.

I’m completely won over by this show. The 10 second scene of Van Alden’s awkward dinner with the wife, Van Alden sticking his hand in the dude’s gut, Michael K. Williams, the fact that Jimmy is in immediate danger… the show’s getting up to speed quickly.

The fed is a great villian.

I loved the single scene of him eating dinner with his wife.

I was DEEPLY disturbed by the gonorrhea doctor scene. I think it’s the first time I’ve ever felt ill by something implied that was happening off camera…

Yeah, medicine (and the equally cringe inducing dentist scene) was practically still in the dark ages until the middle part of the 20th century.

“Let me get the cocaine!”

I loved the gonorrhea scene, mainly because it was in sharp contrast to Bored to Death’s penis scoping scene earlier that evening. Watching Ted Danson’s character in the stirrups getting checked out by the hot female doctor was hilarity. When she brought in the magnifying glass I cackled!

Indeed, and the crazy in his eyes really makes him stand out. One of the best characters on the show!

More like boredwalk empires this week.

See what I did there?

Ok, so I’m a bit confused over what happened in this episode. Was the Irish woman jealous of Nucky? Certainly seemed like it when she saw Nucky with his lady. What did she hope to accomplish by stealing those clothes from the store? It’s not like it would harm him, but if she’s found out, she’s out of a job. A job that he helped her get.

Why would she be jealous of Nucky? She’s jealous of the girl with Nucky (Lucy maybe?). She was the fake Anastasia, living the lie while dancing with him, and exposed as a fraud when he left with the other woman. Not knowing, of course, that Nucky would rather be with her.

Ahh, that does make a bit more sense. She also seemed to be a bit uncomfortable around Lucy when she was fitting her the dress in the previous episode.