Boeing drilling holes in the 777X rudder for better performance

I guess the trick isn’t limited to just monitors!

Wired: Boeing Adds Tiny Holes to Its Biggest Plane to Boost Efficiency

Just dropped in to make sure someone referenced monitors, glad to see you’re way ahead of me.

And I just dropped in to make sure somebody referenced speed holes. Welp, I’ve got nothing else.

I get the speed holes, but I don’t get the monitor reference. Who will enlighten me?

Look here

Lol, that’s why I visited this thread myself.

Here’s a question, though. Golf balls have dimples in them to make them more aerodynamic. If you put dimples in cars and planes, the same theory would hold true, yes? The Mythbusters even did a show about it and found that it did improve the fuel efficiency by about 11% and that was just with them molding some clay and slapping it on the car. So why the hell don’t companies actually do this?

'cause people don’t want dimples in their car, it makes it look like it just went through a hail storm.

I think as it turns out dimples in Mentos candies mixed with the chemicals in diet sodas is what makes them outgas rapidly.

— Alan

Surely people who buy Aztecs, Flexes, and Smart cars don’t care about aesthetics.

And it doesn’t explain the airlines!

I imagine it would be very hard to engineer properly.

I thought the dimples work on golf balls because they rotated in the air. So dimples won’t help cars, but they would help flying saucers.

So a if a plane with dimples is on a conveyor belt …

That was awesome.

Looks like someone at Boeing trying old tricks again

As of Friday, the incorrectly drilled holes had been found in 22 fuselages out of 47 inspected up to that point, spread between Boeing and Spirit, and may exist in some 737s in service, according to sources cited by Reuters.

An employee from Spirit AeroSystems, which is the sole supplier of the fuselage for the 737 Max, reportedly discovered that the holes were too close to the edge of the piece of metal in a window frame.

That unnamed employee was fired, others claim it was in retaliation. There’s rumors that you’re encouraged not to find too many defects.

There’s a class action lawsuit so I guess we will learn more about it later