Bohnanza : Card Game

Has anyone had the pleasure of playing Bohnanza?
A card game about playing and harvesting beans. It’s amazingly great.

The guys at work pulled it out this week, as we are working on some ideas for “STEM” board games. We were especially inspired by the fact that you cannot rearrange the cards in your hand, so you need to work with what you have like it is a FIFO stack.

Here a link at the geek.

There is an iOS version too called BohnanzaHD

Yep. I play it pretty reguarly with the kids. Easy to learn and enjoyable. It’s also a game that’s easy to take along on holiday.

Having to work with the cards in your hand in fixed order is quite interesting too.

Wendelius

I agree, great game. It’s admittedly been years since the last time I played, but I think it’s my favorite Uwe Rozenberg game (he also designed Agricola, Le Havre and Ora Et Labora). Definitely his game with which I have the best memories. I’m kind of hoping his new game Glass Road fits a similar role, since it looks like a small(-ish) box and quick play time. Haven’t had a chance to try it yet, though.

I also like it, although I had a really hard time to stop myself from inadvertently cheating by instinctively rearranging my cards the first few times I played. I think it’s a relatively well-known card game, a minor modern classic even.

Bohnanza is my favorite non-computer game.

An instant hit with the kids.

Big hit for traveling with my family.

I’ve played a fair bit, and I’m kind of lukewarm on it these days. The problem being a bad player can seriously skew the game. Worst case being my niece handing the game to my mother-in-law, because she liked giving grammy whatever cards she wanted. It is popular with kids… but the kids are the ones most likely to make extremely generous trades or give away crucial cards.

It works best if you’re playing just to socialize, not to seriously think about how you’re playing.

Seems as though BohnanzaHD has been pulled from the appstore.

I’ve always found it a great fit for a decent sized group that includes non-gamers. Easy to learn and a lot of interaction. Whenever I’m grabbing some games to take somewhere it always goes on the stack.

I do the same.

We used to always play this at the beach when my extended family went there. However, since my extended family all has the surname “Bean” we would call the game “Beanzala!” Definitely a fun game for a mixed group.

Its certainly on the informal, socializing end of things due to the trading issues mentioned above but I think that’s part of the charm when you play in an extended family situation since it leads to different winners than more “serious” games.

This game always makes enemies of my friends.