Borderlands 2

I love Borderlands and enjoyed it throughout but if you are not yet enjoying the game after reaching Flynt then it might be time to abandon. You have already experienced the core gameplay loop and if you’re not enjoying it by now then I don’t think you’ll enjoy the rest.

I mean, I doubt that. I haven’t found a single gun that feels good to fire and actually has more than 3 bullets and constantly has to be reloaded. Believe me, once I get a decent gun, I’m sure this game will be fine. I enjoyed the original Borderlands plenty. But then, I never got super-shitty weapons in that game like this time.

Ah fair enough. Yes - it is tons of fun once you find a weapon you enjoy :)

Having a good weapon made the difference to me. I figure, I will go back ever few levels and grab a new set of purple weapons that are worth it

One of my pet peeves with BLs, is the overdone importance of your level vs mobs. If you are a couple of levels too low for the area you are in, every mob turns into a bullet sponge. The variables associated with level are way overtuned, and for me it destroys the game. In BL2 you really need to do every quest to stay on level, and if you don’t, you’re screwed. You can have the best gun in the game, and if you’re a few levels too low it will take multiple clips to kill a single random enemy, and bosses are a nightmare.

My feeling exactly. They broke their own game.

Personally I thought Borderlands’ guns were super boring, and the sequel really improved variety and entertainment value. (I haven’t used SHIFT-provided keys, though.) Class design also got a lot more varied and has a lot of things to slot points into that are interesting and not just number boosting. And then there’s the writing. But it’s a really frustrating game to solo because everything does a ton of damage and it’s super easy to die and not have anyone to pick you back up. Not to mention I was constantly running out of ammo.

I’d say give it a bit more time. Both BL2 and the PS have a first boss that’s poorly tuned for solo play and way harder than it should be. One you get to Sanctuary, the game opens up and there’s more options for quests to level up your character.

I’m playing the game too and I’m having a blast. The game can still look very nicely, with the new HD textures, supersampling, sharpen filter and physx which I couldn’t activate the first time I played.

I had zero problems with the first boss, although I have the feeling that I’m having an easy time because the fact I’ playing Gaige. Once I reached Sanctuary, I’m using gold keys every two levels which to be honest, also makes the game easier, but really, the game is more fun when I don’t have to hide and wait until my shields recharge in every fight.

The irony is that the whole reason I picked Gunzerker is because of the above discussion in this thread, and I thought it being the strongest class would lead to less deaths and less worry about trying to find the right weapon, and I could just blast my way through the campaign. But the opposite happened with the Gunzerker clearly. I look at my posts up above in this thread from when I tried the game back a few years ago, and I tried all the classes and meshed the most with the Mechromancer and the Turret guy. I wish I’d re-read those posts before starting this stupid Gunzerker.

The problem with the Gunzerker is that his ability is not very fun. You’re still playing how you’re normally playing, only you’re dual weilding instead of firing one gun. With the Mechromancer and the Turret guy, and even some of the other characters, the ability is one more interesting thing you can do besides your normal shooting.

Oh well, I’m committed now. There’s no way I’m playing through those first few hours yet again. It’s interesting reading my old posts about that too. By the time I got to the Mechromancer, I had done that intro so many times up to Flynt, I did it in only 92 minutes with the Mechromancer. That’s really fast, and really impressive.

I found Axton a ton of fun to play solo, as his turret(s) were a good distraction.

@Rock8man are you doing the side quests too?
By the time I’ve got to Flynt I’ve normally killed midge-mong and done a circuit of that entire frozen island. You can usually get a fairly decent gun from there and gain a level or two before facing Flynt.

EDIT: Axton is also one of my favorite classes. His turret helps a great deal.

I have time to play this, this week as I took some vacation. I want to finish the Dragon Keep DLC and the Commander Lilith & the Fight for Sanctuary DLC. So I am caught up for Borderlands 3 when I get to that later next year hopefully.

If I am on feel free to invite me for some co-op , I’ll join and help you wherever you may be in game. I am not super sure how level scaling works anymore though, and I am level 51. :P

Yep, did all quests, and died a lot while doing them. :)

Gunzerker is the strongest in end game. If you are just looking to go through the campaign, mechromancer, axton or syren is a much better choice

Decided to roll a new character and play from level 30. I restarted the Dragon Keep DLC. Its amazing, I am only an hour or so in, just entered the forest.

Some screenshots:

I’m sorry if you were lead astray earlier. I honestly can’t remember if gunzerker is harder or easier early game. It was soooo long ago. The thing to remember is that gunzerker WILL be a god later. If you can dual wield two rocket launchers, things tend to die quickly. But only when you can access rocket launcher. I don’t think you get rocket launcher that early.

I loved that DLC so much! As a fan of fantasy and D&D, it was a blissful experience.

Yea, that particular DLC is the best non-full-expansion DLC I’ve ever seen or purchased for a game. Fantastic spin on the game and continuation of certain story beats.

My favourite class was easily the Psycho. He is a bit of a high risk, high reward class. However I also ran him through True Vault Hunter Mode and then partway through Ultimate Vault Hunter as well before burning out. I also took Axton through the base game once. The game is definitely solo-able. The only time I ever played with friends was when I was overpowered and they wanted to blast through the DLC. The first difficulty mode, it is important to do all the side quests and generally explore the area, work out how to get into barricaded areas. The game is punishing if the character level is below the enemy level, especially at the start of the game before characters have a chance to have a respository of guns and skills. With Kreig (the psycho) I know I respecced a number of times because the build was no longing fitting my needs.