Borderlands 2

I kind of get it. So I’d follow your link, and give it a name to call me, and presumably some kind of sign up process. And then install it on my computer, but more importantly install it on my phone somehow as well, and then when someone wants to play, i get a notification on my phone at that point? So Discord is also a phone app?

Something like that. Discord is broken up into different servers. Each server was set up by someone (there is an 'official QT3 Server, but it’s usually quiet).

In each server, there are multiple text or voice rooms (set up by the server creator or someone with permissions).

You have to be invited to the servers or look for them, but after you’ve added them you, you can set it up to notify you if people write something or not. Although, people can @ you (like our forum here) and you should see a notification right away.

Generally, the GGG server is pretty quiet. Until its not. It really comes and goes, and most of the people on it are mostly RTS fans. So, I can’t promise miracles, just another place to see if people are interesting in gaming or discussing stuff.

When it comes to good conversations, I prefer our Qt3 Forum. It’s better organized and more thoughtful.

You remember irc chat from years ago? Did you try them, in the 90s or 00s?

Well, it’s the same, more or less. You can enter through web browser, or through dekstop app, or through mobile app. Because it’s all ‘on the cloud’, you can move between them without problem.

Discord got famous at first because it was free and it offered high quality voice chat.

Well, it didn’t make sense to me until lego mentioned the mobile app, and getting notifications on the phone. Then it suddenly all made sense. Because otherwise, if I’m on my desktop, it’s because I’m busy doing something, either some work or emails or games or Qt3. So getting a notification there that someone is in a chat channel made no sense to me. But if I’m watching something on the downstairs TV and happen to have my phone near me, and get the notification that someone is in the chat, trying to organize a game, that actually makes sense.

Exactly!

Well, that, and voice chat for those games without voice chat. Like Dawn of War or Company of Heroes.

A lot of people prefer using solutions like Discord (or Teamspeak or whatever, but those involve more faff) to in-game voice chat because in-game chat can be less reliable, lower quality, or have restrictions the out-of-game chat doesn’t, and it lets you communicate with people who are currently out of game for whatever reason, including if the game’s crashed or similar. I used to be annoyed at having to load and jump into Teamspeak for like, WoW raids when by the time I was doing that stuff it had a perfectly viable team voice chat option, but I eventually understood the rationale.

My co-op pals and I tend to get on Discord to discuss what we’re going to play, then just stay on to play it. It’s a good, stable, general solution that avoids having to worry about the particulars of a given game’s voice chat (or absence thereof).

I got a good hour in this morning. Going with a gunzerker. This game just feels so bad so far. I’m constantly dying and having to go back to where I died. All of the guns I’ve found so far feel like crap. I’m probably just getting unlucky. The first game had some really fun guns and satisfying guns. None of those here so far.

HINT: It doesn’t get any better

My biggest complaint about Borderlands 2 is that guns tend to be useful for a much shorter time than they were in the first game. Which then cascades into a bunch of other problems - playing solo can be an exercise in frustration as you’ve experienced if you don’t get the right class of gun, and you’re incentivized to raid the gold key chest in town, which short circuits the loot-driven gameplay loop of any good ARPG.

The Gunzerker is really dependent on the gear you get, it’s the best character once you have all the good stuff, but until then, you die a whole lot.

The Siren is much better for solo play without great gear. You can get a Health Regen Mod, and your basic ability is control focused, so you can usually survive much better even with less than great guns, not hard to headshot stuff that can’t move.
The Mechromancer is pretty easy too.

Did you grab some of the free gold key codes around? Getting those guns really made the loot search unnecessary. That really makes the game a little easier.

Also, I find for single player, I have the most luck with using a sniper rifle to start any fight.

By the way, one of the cool things I noticed in MP. When I took my character from the MP and brought him back to my single player game, it asked me (after I finished the Firehawk Quest line) whether I want to bring in the question progress from my MP play!

That is a nice feature.

I purposely avoided using any golden keys and shunned the gold chest. I feel it improved my playthrough a lot as it avoided short circuiting the loot search. I think it was the worst gameplay mechanic they ever introduced to the series.

I have to disagree. Nothing beats actually beating the game, and not having to rely on the roll of the dice. Give me awesome weapons to play with and let me avoid the grind. The long, boring tedious pointless grind!

I got over 200 keys! I can get new weapons every few turns!

The trouble is that you spend the first 2-3 hours of the game without access to Sanctuary, depending on whether you do all of the side quests and how hard it can be to beat Flynt with your starting gear. I couldn’t beat him until I got a shield with fire damage immunity.

This is a bit mind boggling to read as borderlands almost invented the “looter-shooter” thing and is its defining characteristic. It sounds like what you want is a standard fps?

The point of beating a boss is to open the chest afterwards and get something cool.

When you consistently get better loot from the shift codes, it makes the game pointless.

Because it’s just doing the sidequests to level up so you can go get yourself a level weapon from the golden chest. To me, finding cool weapons at chests is the reason I go exploring.

After beating my head against him for a long time, I finally beat Flynt. Phew. In the end, the secret was to get him close enough to the point where you jump down and fight him. Once you respawn after dying after getting him close to that position, you can just shoot at him from up there without any danger of dying, and there’s a ammo vending machine up there too. So you just keep shooting and keep buying more ammo until he dies.

God, I hate this game so much. I really hope it gets better. Everyone seems to think it’s better than the first game, so there must be something good up ahead.

With leveling. There is a huge difference between how the Mechomancer and the Commando play, even if they have the exact same weapons. Abilities matter.

Sadly, so do weapons, so even if I find the weapon that I like more then anything else, eventually I will have to discard it gun for some crappy weapon just because it’s damage fits with the level of monsters. Which sucks. I hate it in Action RPGs as well.

I just want to play my perfect character, and not be at the mercy of RNG.

If I could just level up my weapons and items as I can my character, that would be wonderful.

Not yet. I’ve never beaten Flynt with any of my characters until today. So I guess the golden chest thing will be an option for me now that I will be able to get to Sanctuary (soon?) in the story.