Brexit, aka, the UK Becomes a Clown Car of the Highest Order

As one might expect, sadly, No learning from Corbyn. He is right about the manifesto of course, but his Brexit views remain May-like in their arrogance.

Corbyn was elected to carry out Labour manifesto. He doesn’t seem to be losing any sleep over not following through on fighting Brexit.

He’s the Deputy Leader, and should be treated as such. Rule of law and order and all that. The party is actually mention to be a party of government.

But no, its just the usual dysfunctional hard left split and purge culture, see: The history of the hard left 1867-2019. Put 2 in a room and they will split into 3 parties. They are obsessed with the enemy within. Every single CLP resembles this. 90% of the time is spent fighting each other, petty Commissars and Zampolits thrive.

And, it’s not as if New Labour/Blairites haven’t been just as guilty at seeing bogies in the Unite closet and causing schisms/ignoring party rules to target them.

It’s all a shitshow.

They should have expelled Corbyn when he campaigned for a Militant candidate in another constituency against the sitting Labour MP. He was literally knocking on doors and handing them leaflets asking them to vote for Trotskyists over their own Labour MP. Now there’s a man who can teach the Blairites the meaning of rebellion and infighting. Funny enough Blair personally blocked any deselection actions against Corbyn. I guess he recognised the need for Labour to have its fringe.

but just not on the front bench eh

edit: oh did you hear? Talking of Militant. They let Derek Hatton back in yesterday. Fucking Degsy lol. Labour is doomed.

Agreed, which is strange as Brexit will create much more unemployment and reduce NHS funding.

Not that I want to pass up the opportunity to point of May is far more responsible for the Brexit disaster than Corbyn ever will be, full stop.

But it sure would be nice for the narrow majority/minority of people who want to remain to have one of the two major parties actually represent them.

Yeah, its a Tory Brexit, no more, no less.

Nothing May could have done prior to the vote would have made a meaningful difference.

All Corbyn had to do was not be a liar when he said (paraphrasing) “If you elect me as Labour leader, i’ll respect party decisions and policies that I personally disagree with but the labour membership votes for”.

There’s not a hope Brexit would have won if Corbyn had have done even a mediocre job in leading Labour in opposition to it.

I remember that pr*ck & Militant Tendancy well even though I lived in the UK for only a few years in the 80’s and have no great interest in politics. What an asswipe.

And then there were 8.

Any movement tomorrow from blue side, do you think? If not, it’s hard to see this group doing anything but falling flat on their faces.

FWIW, I want to publicly apologize to @playingwithknives for whatever mockery I sent his way over Corbyn and Labour and the whole thing.

I (an American who follows this stuff almost exclusively through Qt3) thought Corbyn a leftist agitator who found himself in Labour leadership, under siege by the usual suspects, who PWK et al were angry at for not toeing the line of establishment left/Labour politics.

It would appear I was wrong, and that there is in fact a bit of fire under all that smoke.

I apologize.

In other news: Would you all please get your acts together so that the American left has something to point to other than Scandinavia these days? Thanks.

No need to, other than a few exceptions in the Trump/Gilette threads we’re all on the same side here. On paper/from a distance I know the Corbyn project looked a good idea or it wouldn’t be where it is now. People like me have had 35 years to know what Corbyn stands for. We remember the Derek Hatton days.

Joan Ryder had a vote of no confidence last year, and the Iranian intelligence service/Press TV broadcast the whole thing live from inside the CLP meeting. Invited by the Corbyn faction. Iranian agents have also been brigading for Corbyn on socmedia. All in the name of the fight against “the real enemy”

Potentially 30 more too according to the rumour mill

Conservatives turn today. Anna Soubry, Heidi Allen and Sarah Wollaston. All (mostly) sensible, pragmatic centrists who’ve said agreeable things in the past, for Tories anyway.

Corbyn genuinely has hundreds of thousands of ardent supporters in the UK, but you believe it’s Iranian intelligence acting for him on social media?

Press TV are the arm of the Iranian intelligence services rather than being the (shitty) Iranian version of a biased agenda driven regime-broadcaster?

I mean really pwk, one step forward two steps back with the out there anti-corbyn conspiracy theories.

As much as most of the media in the UK hates Corbyn, and much of the Labour parliamentary party hates him too, both have been incredibly careful in not calling him anti-Semitic or stating that he supports anti-Semitism, rather that he isn’t tackling it in any meaningful way.

I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that you’ve posted many times about how Corbyn is the arch anti-Semite and yadayadayada.

He’s an inept leader who seems utterly unable or unwilling to change his mind or views in line with a changing world, I don’t know why you need there to be vague shadowy conspiracy theories beyond that.

That has now happened.

Centrism is the new conservatism, dedicated to preserving the status quo.

Netherlands, Germany, Estonia, (I think), Switzerland, Canada (to some extent) and Finland. AFAIK, all have far better labor laws, social policies and educational outcomes. Pretty sure none have collectives and gulags ;).

Or at least, not taking the status quo out into the streets and burning it on the altar of William, Of The People.

If there’s another couple of pro-Remain defectors from the Tories, I wonder will there be renewed pressure on SF to take up their seats for Brexit votes.

SF will never take their seats. I can’t stress how much of a misunderstanding of NI politics it is to even float the idea.