Brian Fargo is returning to the Wasteland for a third time

This is a very unrealistic view of game development and running a company. You have to have stuff in the pipeline or your company will die. You just can’t wait until one project is finished to begin another, unless you want to go out of business.

You have to wonder if they’d still have a company a year or so down the road if they did.

I’m not expecting them to have nothing else in development, but they’ve gone to market for funding several times since the Torment kick-started finished. They prioritised the Wasteland 2 director’s cut rather than Torment. The whole delay of Torment for “localisation” was such bullshit too. More like they didn’t want the PC release undermining future console sales.

By several times you mean once, with Wasteland 3 being the second time post Torment?

[quote=“Sam_Jones, post:23, topic:126150, full:true”]
The whole delay of Torment for “localisation” was such bullshit too. More like they didn’t want the PC release undermining future console sales.[/quote]

Why would they care about which platform people buy the game for?

Wasn’t thrilled with Wasteland 2. Coming from a Fallout 1&2 background I was probably hoping for something more along those lines that then the combat focused RPG that I got. But I’m a sucker for post-apocalypse RPG and it seems like they are introducing more typical RPG aspects. Interested but not sold.

WL2 definitely wasn’t Fallout3. Completely different sensibility-- but true to the original Wasteland.

I didn’t finish WL2. But not because I didn’t like it. I thought it very well done, a real Wasteland vibe. I’ll go back and finish it eventually. Same for Pillars of Eternity. Something else just came along that grabbed my attention. I’d really like to see Torment come out. But I am also looking forward to WL3. Damn my fickle attention span.

The $1000 minimum on Fig is actually an investment, with actual returns, possibly, if I read it right. It’s in addition to and separate from the Kickstarter-like Fig campaign that will launch later, if I read the email correctly. That is, we’ll be able to give fifty bucks or whatever to get a copy of the game and stuff, in a week or so, but right now their soliciting actual investment.

Right, the crowdfunding isn’t open yet.

I haven’t even looked at the tiers. I’m saying I have no reason to trust Fig, not that I think the tiers are bogus. Obviously Kickstarter has changed dramatically since my WL2 pledge, for the betterment of backers IMO.

I hear you; I’m just saying that the Fig thing is very much unlike Kickstarter in that it seems to support both Kickstarter-like offers like we’re used to and actual financial investment opportunities, which KS explicitly excludes. The investment “tiers” as I understand it are actually buying shares in the market success of the company, with actual returns if the game is successful. It seems to be at this stage utterly unlike Kickstarter, at least until the actual KS-like user-level “give money and get a copy of the game, maybe” stuff opens up.

I was over the moon with enthusiasm over WL2 (also my first KS backing I think), but then found it completely underwhelming, sadly so. Now I’m unenthused about WL3, so hopefully will be overjoyed when it turns out to be much better.

Still holding out for the crowd funded game which makes it to classic status - hopefully Underworld Ascendant or Divinity Original Sin Ii deliver, and maybe WL3 as well.

I also didn’t finish WL2, I wish I did and I tried but after a while, it just too same-y to grab my attention further. I think I have been spoilt by the gaming industry in general.

Same here, I got really close to the end though. But man WL2 DC was such a huge step up from vanilla WL2 that I can’t help but recommend the game to every turn based rpg fan.

I’m -IN- WL2 and didn’t finish it yet =p

Hmmm, interested but not interested enough to sign up on yet another platform (Fig). Will pass until it releases.

Campaign is up and already 45% funded after only about 20 minutes.

So if you pledge it uses Stripe to process your order. Which just wants your email, phone number, and CC info. And if you have used Stripe before it just wants your email then texts you a verification code and that fills in the rest. Never touched fig before but that was certainly easy.

Edit - Spoke to soon, there is actually a final page where they want your name, username, and password. Still, not bad.

Just backed it. Since I also backed WL2, they gave me $5 off, pretty nifty.