Brian Fargo is returning to the Wasteland for a third time

I’d think it’s more a sign of it being a turn based game in a season of rabid anticipation of open world RPG/FPS games.

I wasn’t really impressed by Wasteland 2. ATOM RPG or even Dead State are much better games. I will still probably buy Wasteland 3 though.

I was pretty disappointed by Wasteland 2. I was expecting Black Isle’s Fallout 3, it was far from that in my recollection, with what felt like a lot of grind at the time.

I’ll be giving it a try since its in Gamepass but I faded from 2 also. Just was ambivalent after completing most of the Arizona map then seeing there was a whole southern Cali area too. Didn’t have the desire to keep grinding.

I’m a fucking -character- in Wasteland 2 and I faded fast on it =(

Yeah, why I should have Wasteland 3 in a wishlist after playing W2? I’m on a hold pattern here.

I am curious: why do some of you consider Wasteland 2 to have too much grinding!? If memory serves, all enemies were hand placed and there were no respawns? So what is this grinding you speak of?

I would agree that Wasteland 2 was too long for its own good and that some encounters did not feel altogether meaningful. But ‘grinding’? In a game with handcrafted environments and individually placed opponents? As far as I am concerned, grinding would imply doing the same thing over and over again before you can progress. That’s not what was happening in Wasteland 2, at least from what I can remember from my walkthrough…

I too don’t recall W2 as a grind fest. I did fade towards the end, and I only did one play through, which for me with a game like that is pretty unusual. I agree it went on too long, and could have used some editing. I think what contributes to the feeling of grind is also how slow and tedious it got to just move about the maps and the type of go here, go there quests that just made that torpid pace more apparent.

If W3 is more tightly edited and paced better, it could be a lot more enjoyable. I will still be getting it I’m sure.

I didn’t feel any grind either. I know people felt it was combat heavy though. I quite liked it, but I find the writing style dumb. I don’t care about this new wacky faction of monks with nukes. W3 is at least worth a look I think. Gamepass is good for that.

I think what got me tired was that the fights weren’t tricky or fresh. It was just heavy hitting stupid mobs every fight that necessitated stopping and patching up the team. At least that’s what it felt like to me; maybe it was a bad mix of skills but I’m a munchkin min maxing save everywhere goblin so I was just surprised at how it just seemed to slow down.

I don’t recall much about it aside from the fact that it didn’t really suck me in and I played it for only a little bit. The Wasteland 3 trailers didn’t do a whole lot for me so I am taking a wait and see attitude towards W3.

Grind is probably the wrong word since that associates with MMO’s and such. I just had my fill of the game after 20+ hours or so. The main quest ,which I don’t even remember, wasn’t compelling to want to continue. I understand this was meant to be mostly an ‘old school’ RPG and certain things come with that. Maybe I’m just past playing those kind of games anymore.

That’s really it for me. The story in 2 just kinda sucked. I lost my motivation to finish.

Yeah, the story was disposable. By this point in gaming history we’ve experienced so many takes on post-apocalyptic combat and role-playing that it’s hard to come up with a narrative that doesn’t feel like a rehash or simply a throw away used to provide a stage on which the combat plays out. It can be done, but the folks doing W2 didn’t reach that bar IMO. Still, I enjoy the genre so it was certainly worth my time and money.

I think Wasteland was a great, tight little bundle of 80s style roleplaying. I went back and played the remaster not all that long ago and it’s still a joy to play. Compared to that, Wasteland 2 definitely suffered in comparison. It was too long, felt like two games stuck together to get a campaign that just dragged by the end. The locations didn’t seem all that interesting, and other than seeing where the characters from the first game ended up, most of the folks you met in the Wasteland weren’t all that great either. I’ll play Wasteland 3 eventually, I’m just not in the mood for it right now.

I had some issues with the original release, but what knocked me off the game was the announcement they’d be completely remastering it. I never got around to coming back after they’d finished with it.

Maybe its better to say Wasteland 2 overstayed it’s welcome. I put it down after around 15 hours, and never went back. An amazing RPG I’ll play for 50 hours, but if you’re not that you had better wrap it up in around 20.

Now that y’all mentioned it, I never finished my original play of Wasteland 2 (at around 69 hours). I think I just got caught up in something else as I don’t recall it being boring or otherwise a grind. But, I returned to it and played the Director’s Cut, completed at 76 hours. So, in total, I enjoyed it enough for 145 hours of gameplay, and that’s quite the number for me when compared to other games.

If Wasteland 3 gives me that, I’ll be pleased, but the lack of chatter really had me worried that the quality wasn’t there. I don’t want a Bard’s Tale IV (which I still haven’t made it back to playing).

Didn’t finish 2 either. It sort of just ran down for me. I had it on my comp for a while and then just uninstalled it to make room.

So many people did not finish WL2. I think WL2 holds my record in “how many hours I spent playing it without finishing it”. I too liked the arizona part, but by the end of it I was ready for it to be over and when I saw there is LA with god knows how many hours ahead, I lost interest and never went back. Only later watched the ending on youtube.

Here is hoping WL3 will not suffer from overstaying its welcome.