Brogue Challenge: Badly Handled

I’m doing this badly because no-one else was doing it at all. Feel free to complain.

Seed is: 1339509063

Let’s say it ends 12 days from now. Why? Because arbitrary reason.

What it should look like:

[ul]
[li] Boojum - 17549 - Killed by a fury on level 23[/li][li] apost8 - Killed by a zombie on Depth 13. 5541 gold.[/li][li] bigdruid - Killed by a dar blademaster on lvl 10 - 3461[/li][li] krazykrok - 2323 Killed by an ogre on level 10.[/li][li] gambrinous - 1175 - Killed by an ogre on level 9[/li][li] Richard Holt - 634 - Killed by a spectral blade on level 5.[/li][li] sharaleo - 488 - Killed by a cloud of caustic gas on level 4[/li][li] pyrhic - 367 - Burned to death on level 3 [/li][li] Kelan - 367 - Killed by a spectral blade on level 4[/li][li] ducker - 367 - Killed by a pink jelly on level 4[/li][li] lesslucid - 367 - Killed by a fall on level 5[/li][li] benloran - possibly 236, possibly 294 - Killed by a jackal on level 3[/li][li] mrcjhicks - 236 - Killed by a pink jelly on level 4.[/li][/ul]

Let me be the first to complain. I should have done this myself yesterday as I have a half decent seed I started last night. Lazy me.

Good work lesslucid. I don’t know if you’re joking about the date. I’ll try and get it down by tomorrow, but I might run into Saturday again.

I feel good about this seed, I’d say I have a 89% probability of ascending.

Nope, serious about the timing. Some people seem to need more than a week, and this allows me to be a slacker about compiling results and all those shenanigans. So, at, uh, some point in time on Tuesday the 14th, I’ll call a halt and declare a winner. If anyone’s in a hurry to start the next challenge before then, they can go right ahead. ;)

Thanks for putting up the thread.

17549 - Killed by a fury on level 23

"commentary

Pretty rough seed in terms of weapons, armor, staffs (took forever to find one, and only had two by the end), and rings (never found a second one). The only real bright spots were the ring of awareness and the haste charm.

I was barely scraping by for most of the game, and my luck finally ran out on 23. I came down the stairs to see a group of five furies to the west. I headed southeast to the nearest corner chokepoint to fight them one at a time, but after two steps, a separate group of furies came into view around the corner I was heading toward, and of course the first group was already between me and the stairs. Didn’t have a viable escape method (again, rough seed), so that was curtains.

Killed by a zombie on Depth 13. 5541 gold.

details

It was nice to have three ogres for a while, but the trio got split up after a mishap with a confusion trap, and I lost a couple to some wraiths shortly afterward. I ended up putting all my enchants into the charm of protection due to being massively poisoned by a spider while hallucinating. I did manage to survive that encounter with a +7 protection charm. It wasn’t enough to deal with a naga / zombie pair on depth 13, though. I really wasn’t equipped to go up against the naga, and had spent most of my consumables earlier.

236 - Killed by a pink jelly on level 4.

First time playing Brogue! I was doing fine until I died.

634 - Killed by a spectral blade on level 5.

Well that was particularly dumb.

1175 - Killed by an ogre on level 9

details

Found a dagger of confusion and leather armour of multiplicity which seem like useful abilities, but the base items were just too weak overall and I never felt ahead of the power curve

Nice - I’ll give it a go!
I’m also holding on to a good seed. Got the furthest I have last night in a random seed… lvl 24 - I think it’s a definitely a doable seed - I just happened to have missed a special ability on a fury :(

Meh. I did poorly. 274. Killed by a cloud of caustic gas on level 3.

367 - Killed by a pink jelly on level 4

Killed by a dar blademaster on lvl 10 - 3461

Won’t bother with the details except to note there was some fire involved and a phenomenally ineffective staff.

367 - Killed by a spectral blade on level 4

undefined

That was one nasty room! Something told me I shouldn’t have entered in the middle of it, but I did not see the goblin conjurer at first and that was too much along with the other stuff in there for me to survive.

Ugh! I suppose I should finally get around to posting this score. I sure hope that score tracker/graph doesn’t get made. My scores are getting worse every time ;).

367 - Killed by a fall on level 5.

"

I spent a long time searching for the key on level 3. Then I started to panic that I was going to starve, so pressed on without it. Where was the damn thing?

Died to desperation-potion-quaffing…

"

Was there a key for lvl 3? I couldn’t find the stupid thing either.

lvl 3

You can use a scroll of shattering (also found on that level) to shatter the statue blocking the entrance to the vault.

I think these shattering vaults are one place where Brogue fails to live up to its own ideal of needing no spoilers to figure out. It is discoverable under the right circumstances, I guess.

lvl 3

Well, they do seem to always generate a scroll of shattering near those vaults.

lvl 3

Do scrolls of shattering and the amulet of shattering work in the same way on statues? I could have sworn I tried that in other locked rooms, and it didn’t shatter those statues. Or is it only for special rooms that there is no key for it?? or special brittle statues?

Oh, right, 12 days is up! I, uh, declare myself the winner!!

…oh, there seems to have been a bit of a mix up with the envelopes. Yes, actually, Boojum wins. Congratulations!

488 - Killed by a cloud of caustic gas on level 4