Broken Forum vanished

I’m not sure that attraction is the same as objectification. And whether it is or isn’t, any gender is capable of being attracted to any gender. (Or, in some cases, a space pirate sim.)

For what it’s worth, the last time I saw that phrase on qt3 that person was objectifying Chris Evans.

I’m a straight male, but man I can’t find anything wrong with that sentiment.

First time I’ve ever heard “Tom Hardy” spelled as Chris Evans

Man, you guys suck at spelling. There’s no Y or V in Tom Hiddleston.

-Tom

No way, Lum is a very solid moderator from what I’ve seen. Also, there is significant emotional labor involved in doing actual moderation, which is why many folks say “fuck it” and barely try. Moderating is real, stressful work.

Also, for my dudes, I will translate. Emotional labor = dealing with other people’s bullshit.

(Edit: My exact words were “You could argue that Lum’s moderation is what makes it hostile”, which is different than your excerpt “Lum’s moderation is what makes it hostile.”)

After my ban expired, I asked, “Could you please tell me why I was banned for two weeks, and what I can do to avoid getting banned in the future?” And the response I got was, “I have zero interest in explaining what you did to aggravate other posters on the thread.” (The aggravation in question involved me offering opinions about a movie, and a bunch of people telling me to shut up and stop posting.) And when I asked again if he could point to what I did to get temporarily banned, he responded by banning me permanently.

In my opinion, that falls to the level of “fuck it” moderation. Granted, it’s my only interaction with Lum, but my sample size in unlikely to increase.

From a moderation perspective, some posters generate regular work for you. Whether that is because they are genuinely jerks, or accidentally jerks, the net result to you the moderator is identical: more work.

So I dunno, maybe he was tired of your bullshit?

We’d need to look at the topic to judge for ourselves and that feels a bit too icky to do from here, so I don’t recommend it.

I was the only active moderator on the Beyond3D forums during some of the really ugly ATI/AMD vs NVIDIA stuff before and after the 9700 Pro launched in 2002 and felt like it was a 2nd job. And it was exhausting at times, trying to corral a yard full of cats hissing at each other 24/7.

Seems like kind of a harsh speculation, given the brief (out-of-context) description Andy posted there.
But as you say, we’d need to see the thread.

Given that this was the one and only time I had ever been blocked or even warned, that seems unlikely. There was one other event where people piled on attacking me (maybe five or six years ago), and he stepped it to tell them to knock it off.

I posted in maybe three or four threads over the course of a half-decade, so there is no way I was a burden from a moderation perspective. And again, asking why I was blocked seems more than reasonable.

I saw the thread, I posted on the thread, to a large degree on the same “side” as Andy, and I understand why Andy Bates was banned. And sure, I hate the Last Jedi too, but I ain’t got time to try and refute every single goddamned thing other people liked about the movie. Or the temperament, eventually you just need to go “Fair enough”.

And if you don’t go “Fair enough”, well, there’s arguing your point and there’s shitting up the forum, there’s a line in there somewhere, and different people will have the line in different places. Guess what, you have that line in a vastly different place from the mods there.

Oddly enough, I’ve noticed it more outside of the P&R section, but that might be because my expectations are different. Specifically, in the games journalism thread and the Academy awards thread seem to go a bit backwards at times.

I think that might be because of all the push back some posters get in the P&R, and so certain posters tend to stay away from those threads.

Thank you for posting that. Have all the imaginary likes I can give!

Maybe as a societal norm, but I have worked in government offices with lots of women and I see that as being very common. Women have no problem getting in the face of another woman (or man for that matter) in some work environments.

Having been suspended once by Lum I actually disagree with that statement. The hostility there is caused by the swarming of the hive. Now Lum is quick to defend his forum, but I have no problem with that. In fact I agreed to my suspension.

BF has too much of that kind of moderation.

If we can avoiding being this guy on the forum, it might be a step in the right direction.

Yeah, but what did you think of <insert super serious war game here>?

Hated it. The original was way better, and much more detailed, but of course they dumbed it down for the lamestream audience on steam.

Alright… you can call yourself a gamer… this time.