Brotato: arena based auto-shooter with crazy variety build

30 hours of Brotato played. Update: game is still fun!
It’s an ideal game to have always installed and only play a run or two when you have some spare time but don’t want to commit to something bigger in scope or more complicated.

My last run was craaazy:

Also, it seems the game is easy to mod and there are a few mods already with several new classes and weapons.

Love me some shuriken. :)

I actually started with a 6 shuriken build, but as I got more luck stat, I was able to get some rare weapons, so I pivoted gradually to them. 2 red power first and 2 purple plasma hammers, and the red rock was the last one. I got an item or two that increase explosion damage, so I had synergy with the first and hammer.

All that change of build was to try to get the ‘kill the final boss in 15 secs or less’ challenge, so I needed high burst damage, not shurikens. And I got it, as you can see.Which is notable because the run started in a very different way, I was trying to get another challenge of recycling 12 weapons, that’s why I got the Enterpreneur class. The crazy thing is that I did it, which meant I was wasting money in buying and selling weapons for the first half, and on the last 7 waves I still could aim for the other challenge and do it.
900+ harvesting sure helps.

I think it’s to Brotato’s credit that you can pivot builds mid-game like that.

Usually you focus in on a build early and it’s foolish to try moving into a different area later on as you’ll be under-spec’d/leveled, but with the crazy stuff Brotato throws at you it’s always possible!

I finally got up to Difficulty 5 on all classes this weekend. Now slowly looking at mods. The GMO one where you can combine two characters in one in exchange for a bunch of extra penalties is super fun and wacky.

Still trying to finish a single run on this. Starting to feel like Spelunky. :)

I struggled a bit early on, but then something clicks and it all starts to make sense. :)

Yay, danger 5 beaten!

Well done, sir!

Soldier seems like a good choice for D5. I think I got mine with Ranger, but either way ranged + attack speed = fun times. :)

Soldier is terrifying in the final boss fight on D5 tbh. The bosses running right at you with enough of an HP pool to get and stay close for at least a few seconds, and every moment you’re retreating, you’re not shooting…
It’s intense! Soldier was one of my last 4 to D5 with. Along with Entrepreneur (not super bad just need to not hit a terrible streak of rolls late game), Streamer (wrenches are a trap yo), and Speedy (Lances made this way easier but mostly I just suck at controlling when you get THAT fast).

1.0 will release next week, with six new characters and some new misc stuff too.

Game is out finally. The new version has

Content

• Added 5 new elites
  • Added 6 new characters
  • Added 7 new weapons
  • Added 6 new items
  • Added 12 new challenges
  • four dozen balance changes

I’m close to 50 hours into the game, although I think I am done with it at this point.

This game really got its hooks into me this week. Can’t wait to fire it up when I get home.

If you pick Endless instead of going to Stage 20, can you get the same unlocks/achievements/etc for “completing” the run? Or does it replace the boss fight entirely?

The endless mode is fairly new option and I got already most of unlocks, so I don’t know! (also, I’m usually happy after playing 20 rounds, so I don’t choose it)

I’ve had this for a while, and I guess my way of recommending it would be to say that it’s a shame that Valve got however many hundreds of dollars for my Steam Deck, and the Brotato team only got $3.99. If, say, one had a category in one’s library titled “Stupid Stuff that I’ve Played for 100+ Hours”, this would fit.

For the new stuff in the 1.0 release, the Fisherman is just creative and wild, highly recommend the chaos.

To answer my question, I tried it and you do get completion unlocks and “Run Won” after beating Stage 20 (the boss fight is the same) and then dying in Endless. I don’t know why the Endless choice happens before the boss instead of after, but maybe it was simpler to program the UI that way.

I found this Brotato stats wiki page that explains all the modifiers. This stuff really should be in the game, along with basic explanations of how XP, the leftovers bag, fruit, and box pickups work.

These taters came to the Switch yesterday and I’m having a great time with it. The flexibility and build variety is fantastic but I wish they mixed in some V.S. level variety/level goals. The same tiny background grates.

I picked this up for the switch as well, and it has been a journey. I had a really bad time on my first run, and was pretty sure this game was just not going to be for me. After five or so runs, I was having a good time lucking into some fun item combos and getting better at reading the enemies, but actually winning a run on Danger 0 seemed impossible.

Cut to just two days later and I’m forcing myself to put the game down to go to bed because I’m pretty sure I’ve figured out a way to beat Danger Level 4 with the Pacifist character and just want one more run. I still like the mindless fun of grinding through Vampire Survivors achievements, but this game’s character build puzzles are way more satisfying to complete.

Didnt know it was out on Switch…sold my Steam Deck and this was one of the games I enjoyed most…so off to my unplayed Switch for something to play on it now!