Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Exactly. When Buffy briefly died, a potential slayer became an actual slayer. When that slayer died, Faith got the mojo.

Edit: already coverd by Duality, who nicely expanded on my initial remarks.

All this talk about Buffy continuity reminds me how much I hated how the Demons ended up as basically being an ugly, misunderstood, alternate race with skin problems and a tendency to snack on kittens.

Okay, Dru’s ex-boyfriend with the dripping antlers was awesome, but by the end they were really nothing more than a poorly handled crutch.

There wasn’t one specific race of demons - that was a catchall term for a whole lot of entities from other dimensions/realities.

It and the two-part finale for the season were both delayed. Some of us found bootlegs online that had been leaked.

Yeah, but I do love the part with Xander discovering the lunch lady putting rat poison in the food and desperately trying to overturn every table in the cafeteria.

‘Hush’ being the episode where no one can speak, is that right? I’ve only seen a couple of episodes of Buffy so I’m not qualified to comment on overall quality, but that episode did have one extremely funny bit that, just due to the surprise of it, made me laugh out loud – during some meeting planning how to kill the demons (or whatever they are) someone writes a note asking how they can they be killed? Buffy makes a stabbing motion, except she does so kind of sideways, which an encircled thumb and fingers so that the motion rather than stabbing looks like, ah well you know. The shocked expressions on everyone else in the room had me laughing for a good long time.

The scene that made me laugh hard during “Hush” was when Xander woke up and found out he couldn’t speak. He picked up the phone and called Buffy. After which, it was this really funny sequence of the two of them yelling silently into the phone and wondering why no one could hear them.

The scene where Anya mimes intercourse is also really funny.

Who happened to have a bar where they all hung out and played poker for kittens.

It started out cool and ended up as droopy guy driving out of town.

Played by Mr. Whedon himself, no less.

Numfar! Do the dance of cameo recognition!

Another fan of Buffy checking in. I just finished it this summer…was not interested for years, then Firefly introduced me to Joss. I liked Buffy pretty well, and a few of the episodes were simply outstanding. Overall I’m still more of a Browncoat tho.

I rewatched a couple episodes of Season 3 and noticed some details I’d missed before. (Spoil-o-rific)

First, I noticed Oz’s last line in “The Zeppo” (“I feel oddly full”). Hilarious. The first time I saw it, I thought it was just some random demon thing that attacked the undead thug at the end. Didn’t realize it was werewolf-Oz.

Second, I must have missed the very ending of “Doppelgangland” the first time I watched it. They have that little “solidarity” moment between Willow and Anti-Willow, and then just when you are expecting Anti-Willow to find a way to survive in her old universe, she gets staked all over again! What an acerbic ending. Given what a great character she is, it seems questionable to kill her off, but if you can do it once I guess you can do it twice. (I have no idea if they found a way to dip back into the parallel-universe well in subsequent seasons… as with the Trek mirror universe, it seems like it would be hard to resist.)

That episode really shows off Alyson Hannigan’s gifts as an actress. First she has to play normal Willow. Then she has to play evil Willow. Then she has to play normal Willow pretending to be evil Willow. Then she has to play evil Willow pretending to be normal Willow! Emmy-worthy stuff.

The slow-motion montage at the end of “The Wish” is great too. I think the Zeppo is still my favorite for the way it deviously inverts the plot structure though.

The Zeppo, ironically, has one of my favorite Oz moments, where Xander is discussing with him what makes him “cool.”

“Is the way the express yourself in short, noncommital phrases?”
“Could be.”

The Zeppo really is one of the greatest Buffy episodes.

I didn’t see a thread just for this, but have any of you been reading the Buffy comics? I’m generally not a comics fan, but on a lark I started catching up on Buffy Season 8. It’s excellent, because Whedon and others actually connected with the show are writing for it.

So between S8 issues, I’ve been catching up on the Buffy Omnibus trades. That stuff? Not so good. Apparently in the early years of the comic, it was more of a licensed property than something the BtVS creatives were involved with, so some of the writing is BAD. I mean Archies bad. Totally misses the tone of the show.

And in one issue I read last night, they kept calling Buffy’s school and hometown “Sunnyvale.” Apparently there also was no editing.

Whedon shows up for Tales of the Slayers. But yeah, not so much with the good early on.

Fray is when it all started to change. And it looks like Melaka is going to show up in the Buffy comic.

Now that Buffy’s gay, perhaps River will show up as well. Joss can just indulge all of his little fantasies. Maybe he can do a Buffy/Kitty Pryde crossover.

Was anyone else as surprised by that as I was? Somehow I’d managed to miss all the press coverage of Buffy’s little experiment with Satsu.

I thought it was wonderfully handled and hilarious.

Yeah, I felt the shtick of having everyone walk in on them was perfectly Whedonesque. But, I don’t know. We’ll see where it goes.

As for the pre-Season 8 comics, I wouldn’t bother with anything other than Fray, Tales of the Slayer and Tales of the Vampire.

Some details as to what’s to come, if you don’t mind a few spoilers.

It was a surprise insofar as the previous issue was all about Buffy telling Satsu, “I think it’s sweet you love me, but seriously: don’t try to get involved with me. It always ends badly.” Which struck me as a pretty mature way of handling a situation where someone’s in love with you but you can’t reciprocate her feelings.

And then their first scene in this issue was post-coital, so it’s like “Way to follow your own advice, Buf.” But then she’s had a long history of questionable judgment about bad relationships; so frankly, moving up a notch on the Kinsey Scale may be an improvement. EDIT: at least they were tactful enough not to show em gettin' all hot n bothered and instead focus on the fallout. And the follow-up was predictable, but no less funny because of it.