Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Oh man, Cibo Matto in season 2 premiere…awesome. Btw I already love this show, Wheddon really is The Man.

Oh man, second season was awesome…“Hi my name is Paul and I am a Buffy addict”

…watched whole season in in 2 days…and going into third one.It is some epic well written stuff.And when I remember how lame I thought this show was when I was 15 and they were showing it here on TV with dubbing, stupid translated name (although Vampire Slayer is not that much better) and horrible makeup that was really cheesy (especially in the first season, which was the one I saw those fragments of).

But now, watching it in order with original sound…totally loving it.

The show kicks into a new gear with “Innocence” in the middle of Season 2, and the Angelus story arc. The finale of Season 2 is downright operatic and gets me every time. Season 3 however contains what I think are two of the most perfect episodes (Doppelgangland and The Zeppo).

although Vampire Slayer is not that much better

The show’s title works if you think of it the way Joss Whedon originally meant it, as a joke, in the 1992 movie that began the whole thing. It encapsulates the unlikely mixture of two dissimilar genres/attitudes – “Buffy” evokes a peppy high school cheerleader type, while “the Vampire Slayer” suggests Gothic horror, action, etc. When the movie originally came out, before the term had become absorbed into popular culture, the title itself was a gag, and a pretty good one. (Unfortunately the movie was fairly weak.)

Also notable at the time for being Paul Reubens post masturbation arrest come-back film…

Hey, I get it, now! But when you know nothing about the show and just read synopsis, see its name and watch its opening intro and see some snippets from first season with cheesy masks and everything, you just get the impressions that it is totally lame show : ). And the translated title here was something like Buffy, the Vampire Defeater, because we do not have an synonym for Slayer (dictionary gives me Killer or Murderer, which is not really the same thing).

Of course if you take time to watch it, if possible with original sound, you’re gonna love it (and hell I love it! I am glad I still have 5 seasons to be looking forward to as well as Angel spin-off).

Btw, when should I start watching Angel - after S7 of Buffy, or concurrently with some other season?

We watched them one after the other (Buffy, then Angel) and that was fine - there’s not that much crossover (2-3 significant ones, maybe?). I think S1 Angel is set at the same time as S4 of Buffy, but I could be wrong.

start watching Angel with season 3 of Buffy. I believe Angel is first, so watch Angel episode 1 Season 1, Buffy episode 1 Season 3, then alternate. I might have them backwards though. There are a few episodes early on in Angel that kind of rely on you watching them in the ‘same week’. they refer to stuff that happened on the other show right then and the stories are directly related. watching it later can make getting the connection a bit harder.

I think Sebmojo is correct that Angel takes place along with 4th season, because I am in 7th episode of third one, and Angel is still there and there is no mention of him leaving so far. I will howewer watch it then concurrently!

That’s wrong. You should start watching it alongside season 4, considering Angel leaves Buffy’s side at season 3. Here’s the exact crossover list, beware of mega-spoilers.

Yeah, Angel begins with Buffy Season 4. There’s some crossover stuff, so it’s ideal to watch the two shows concurrently, but I don’t think it’s that big a deal either way.

It’s not big enough a deal to go through the hassle of swapping discs every 43 minutes. If you want to be fresh watch a disc of Buffy and then a disc of Angel. Generally the crossovers just involve someone skipping over to LA for a while. They aren’t like cliffhangers where you don’t know how a Buffy episode ends until you see the following Angel. Very loose crossovers.

yep, I forgot that buffy stops a year sooner and was lining them up in my head as if they ended the same year.

Just make sure that you watch the finale to Buffy Season 5 before you watch the final 5 or 10 minutes of the Angel Season 2 finale.

Ok, now it’s getting complicated : )

When I get home, I will watch Dopplegangland or what’sitsname and probably will finish the rest of the season 3.

Then I will watch Buffy S4E1, then Angel S1E1, then Buffy S4E2, then Angel S1E2…etc, ok? This way it should end up as you wrote, supposing they have same amount of episodes.

Btw no swapping discs for me, I watch good old dvdrips. Will buy dvds after I watch it like I did with Firefly (but still will use more convenient rips for rewatching itself).

That is unnecessary. You can get by just fine by watching a season of Buffy first and then a season of Angel. Or all of Buffy then all of Angel. Most of the crossovers were very minor stuff.

Offhand, I can think of two moments of significant spoilage- the aforementioned Angel Season 2 finale spoiling Buffy Season 5 finale and then an earlier moment in Buffy S5 where a character shows up and basically summarizes the significant events that had been happening on Angel to that point.

The crossover stuff disappears almost entirely one you get to Buffy S6 and Angel S3. Either because Angel stood on it’s own well enough that it was unnecessary or perhaps there was some bad blood since the shows were airing on different networks at that point.

It’s unnecessary, but if one doesn’t mind the inconvenience of swapping discs every episode, there’s no particular reason not to do it that way. I think the only significant lineups occur in the Faith season 4 crossover and the end of Buffy 5/Angel 2, though there might be a couple of others.

One nice thing about swapping episode to episode initially is that it makes it easier to deal with the time it took Angel to find it’s footing since you alternate that with the (quite good IMO) first half of Buffy Season 4.

Thanks everyone for clearing it up.Damn I can’t wait to continue Buffy marathon : ).

Just seen first 5 minutes of Angel (after watching Buffy S4E1).

Heh, didn’t expect to see Sawyer here ! :D

Too bad it was such a short appearance.He looked completely different from Lost.

Oh man, Hush was really something else! The Giles’s Fairy Tale presentation…I was almost literally rolling on the floor laughing :D

The episodes before that were also stellar, especially the one in Angel with time going backwards…loved it and loved how interconnected it was.Good advice with watching it Buffy - Angel - Buffy…

Though I gotta say, while Angel is not bad, it lacks something…or someone…called Buffy : ).