Buh bye Google G-Suite free legacy edition...

Cause then you have to somehow migrate your youtube history (which is possible but requires work), move all your photos, your google play purchases (which isn’t possible) etc…

The limitation on G-Suite/Workspace accounts (free or paid) is definitely frustrating.

I do pay for one domain, among all my free legacy accounts, since I use it for work/consulting and years back wanted to access support, etc if needed as well as extra storage. Unfortunately, it’s the one I decided to sync all my Google Photos into. All of the other Google services prefer a standard Gmail account (albeit where you’re paying for storage, etc). I’d have moved my photos out except it’s so tedious w/ albums etc.

Yeah, google play purchases are the real problem there. Luckily I’m an iOS guy so all I’ve got on there is like, Nova Launcher from 2012.

If you’re iOS and pay for any iCloud, I believe you can use a custom email domain for ‘free’ as one of the bundled services…

One of my Google-managed domains is also one I used some iCloud account for. I don’t use the account these days, but I can’t move it.

I don’t even use the email address much, so I will likely move it back to Hover or something just in case some service I forgot about uses it.

wow, this sucks. I have about three domains I use for email mostly. I will have to watch for a guide that spells out my options. I’m not paying $18 a month. OH, well, nothing lasts forever.

You’d think they’d send out an email notification about this, but whatevs

Well got my email going to M365 now successfully, that was pretty painless. Now to figure out how to actually move all my emails over which is proving harder than it should be, even after exporting it all from google takeout.

The best way in theory is to use POP3 to download them to the new account. I couldn’t get it to work going from gsuite to a normal gmail account though, kept getting an error. And yes I was using an application-specific password.

Again though I suggest taking your time with this, over the next couple of months there will be extensive well-written guides to doing it properly.

I ended up downloading Thunderbird and hooking up both gsuite and new email account via imap. Downloaded all the emails for offline and now uploading it to m365. Pretty painless, it just took a while to figure out the right process.

Yeah that’ll work too, just slow as balls.

For the two domains I have set up for my parents, I’m leaning towards Zoho. It’s $15/year/user. 10GB of storage per person, supports activesync contacts and calendars. They purportedly have a Google to Zoho migration utility.

That’s reasonably priced, but why not just use a standard gmail account and point your email there?

In this case, the two domains are for my elderly parents, who each have their own. Unless there’s a way to send as your custom domain from a typical Gmail account, that’s a non-starter. Seems easier just to get their email migrated the one time and be done with it. They can each pony up the 15 bucks a year.

I believe if your domain host supports it, they can forward emails to a regular gmail account. Then you need to setup gmail to send under an alias

e.g.
namecheap

and then on gmail’s side

Yeah, there’s always a way. However, sending emails under an alias can sometimes trigger recipients, spam filters. Honestly, it’s not worth saving 15 bucks per person a year since they’re not using any of the other Google services.

Well since email is working I went ahead and cancelled my g-suite subscription. Didn’t lose access to anything other than gmail (I even still have 17GB of photos storage, which surprised me).

That being said, the account is still listed as a workspace account and therefore is restricted in functionality (can’t do youtube premium, can’t do google one, etc…

It appears the only way to downgrade the account is to go into the admin panel, nuke it from orbit, then recreate it as a non-gmail account (to still use my domain). I’ll lose my google play purchases, youtube purchases, photos, and who knows what else, though none of that is major (critical stuff is already backed up on other services). Probably have to totally reset my phone as well I suspect.

I’m slightly concerned about any service I OAuthed into, but yolo I guess.

Again I’d suggest not messing with it for a couple of months, as we get closer to the deadline there will be guides, etc, and Google may even implement a way to downgrade accounts to regular ones. They already built such a tool for education users.

Stusserdamus, seer of seers!

I’ll have to read more closely, but do they mean you can transfer all your stuff to a consumer gmail account? That’s great, but still sucks for custom domain email.