Bully Snags a 10

They changed the name for the UK release to “Canis Canem Edit”

For real? Like “Dog eat Dog” just didn’t make the point clearly enough?

Private schools (like the one featured in Bully) have latin mottos

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt

Or, as they say in America, “Grand Theft Auto IV”.

So I would like to play Bully… after all, I’m a no-excuses Rockstar fanboy… but I just don’t know if I can whip out the ol’ PS2 again. I mean, I count myself firmly in the “gameplay over graphics” demographic… but I played San Andreas after spending a lot of time with Saints Row. And it’s just not the same. Curse you, Rockstar. And curse you Okami for being another reason I have to dust that ol’ Sony box off. bah!

any word if they’ll port it to the PC? I’ll wait the mandatory 6 months to a year, of course, but I’d like to play it at some point.

Does it support progressive scan at least?

All I gotta say is it better support widescreen. I can deal with 480i, but no widescreen is just criminal.

In high school my favorite anime movies were Megazone 23 Part 2, Macross: OI, and Vampire Hunter D. (Though I really loved Prefectural Earth Defense Force it was more of a guilty pleasure).

In college, I was treasurer of the anime club at one point. Until I, you know, grew up.

Also, shouldn’t you be in a biker bar right now winning arm wrestling contests? Or on a construction crew somewhere? If you’re embarrassed by video games, don’t play them.

I am a game developer. I work on games with an eye toward nudging the industry in the direction I would like it to go. Which, frankly, is pretty far from where the majority of games are right now.

Yes, you can name specific examples of anime that are suitable for emotionally mature people – but they are in the vast minority, and that’s what I am talking about. Just like with games. You can name some games that aren’t adolescent power fantasies, but they are in the minority. If you subtract “casual games” from the list, it gets even worse.

With a genre like film (live-action, real film, I mean), sure, not everything is for mature people. But there is a long-standing tradition of films that are, and it is generally known as a genre that supports that kind of expression. Unlike games.

This is not even really a debatable point – it’s common knowledge – so I am not sure where the venom is coming from.

I’m not even saying I hate power fantasy games or anything. They’re fine, I play them. But when they comprise the vast majority of your medium, you really have to wonder about the value of that medium, and whether it serves any purpose more fruitful than the production of stunted man-children.

Perhaps you should have said that in your first post instead of generalizing like you did. There’s a difference between encompassing entire entertainment subsets into “childish” or “embarrassing” and being upset at the fact that large chunks of those subsets are aimed at the lowest common denominator. There are many, many aspects of entertainment culture that are like this. And yes, video games need to grow up, but they’re getting there. Consider, for example, the difference in gaming content since the NES days.

And yes, lots of anime is pure adolescent crap. But there’s a lot that isn’t. And like games, it’s getting there.

Scry, you’re awfully sensitive to Jonathan’s entirely valid point. Has someone been teasing you lately about your anime collection? :)

The point he was making that you’d like to dismiss as a generalization is that anime is in no way comparable to mainstream movies. People who pretend otherwise are sadly out of touch. And the same holds true for gaming.

-Tom

[Edit: This was written before Tom’s reply, hence the potential over-explanation.]

I did mean to generalize. Non-casual video games, as an entire genre, are pretty embarrassing. Yes, there are chunks of non-embarrassingness in there, but they are like when you buy some box of generic Raisin Bran and you dig through the box and there are like 2 raisins in there.

I’m not actually sure that games are growing up over time. Maybe they are, maybe they’re not. For example, Little Computer People came out in 1984, Balance of Power in 1985… percentage-wise, are we doing better than that now?

I’m not convinced that anime is improving either. Grave of the Fireflies and Wings of Honneamise were 1987 and 1988. (Totoro was 1988 too, but I’m not sure I consider that one all too mature). Is the production of “mature” anime noticably more common now, 18 years later?

When did I dismiss that point? I think that point is valid, and he didn’t make it until just now. What I had originally thought he was trying to say was that all people who watch anime are children, or childish adults. It’s something I tend to hear a lot, so yeah, maybe I am a bit touchy on it.

WTF, now you’ve done it, Blow! Totorro “not mature”? How dare you. It’s got, like, undercurrents of themes of death and loss and stuff. Sheesh. Totorro “not mature”, my foot. What’s the matter, can’t handle the cat bus?

I mean, you can slag on Evangeline Aeon Macross Flux all you want, but this is My Neighbor Totorro you’re talking about. Jeeze, dude.

-Tom

Well, yes, I would say so. I’m not about to do a percentage-wise comparison for you, but since I pretty much exclusively stick to mature-themed anime, I’ve had a lot more to watch in recent years than I did in the 90’s. But perhaps I just feel that way due to easier availability of fansubs.

I would be interested in some kind of article on this. My perspective may be muddled in bad memory.

I have very dim memories of that movie, but they involve watching an animated 3-year-old girl squeal and play around and chase butterflies for like half an hour, and the filmmakers wanting me to think that is interesting. And then the cat bus shows up.

Does anyone know whether it does or not?

Dude, you are totally forgetting the dustbunnies.

I think there might be a reason why anime, like videogames, enjoy a limited audience compared to mainstream movies. It’s probably not because the themes and settings explored in anime and videogames feel relevant and rewarding to the general population.

I really like anime. I’m a bit wary of telling people, though, because a lot of people immediately think that I sit at home in my sweaty nerd-grotto jerking off to shitting dick nipples and schoolgirls exploding upon orgasm. That’s not necessarily because they’re ignorant. It might be because that’s the kind of image anime culture projects.

Same thing with videogames. Only I’m actually doing a university course on them, so dodging the issue is a tad bit harder.