Burger King to sell Hot Dogs?

Boar’s Head hotdogs are very good.

I tend to like natural casing ones. Another good option is Nathan’s skinnless ones.

My man! I favor the natural casings as well. Some people freak out about it though, so I understand why it’s not for everyone.

There is a restaurant on Rt 202 west of Philly, called Jimmy Johns. This is not to be confused with the chain of the same name.

This place has some awesome hotdogs, if you like natural casing ones. The place actually burned down after being opened 70 years prior, but they rebuilt the place almost immediately.

There have been a number of articles over the years talking about how the place has the best dogs in the whole philly region, which is pretty hard core, as Philly folks are pretty into our food. Especially trashy street food.

My dad used to take me to this place when I was a kid. They used to have a huge model train set in there, as well as trains running around the walls up near the ceiling. For a quarter, the trains would run, and there were like 20 buttons you could push to actuate gates and crap in the train set. Pretty much the most awesome thing ever when you’re like, 4.

Also, check out the menu for some idea of the kind of food… it’s stuff you very rarely ever see in a restaurant, but which folks from the Philly area will likely have grown up on. Like pork-roll sandwiches, or a scrapple egg and cheese sandwich.

It’s a super nostalgic place for folks in the area. It was a huge deal when it burned down, and the area supported them in rebuilding the place.

Grabbed one of each at Burger King today. They’re fine, if a little overpriced at $1.99/$2.29 but still better than what you’ll get at the ballpark for that price. If anything this thread’s motivating me to hit up the local hot dog joint that sells natural casing dogs, which isn’t the worst possible outcome.

Yes! I love hotdogs too! but I only buy the local butcher’s shop or WI-local brands of natural casing dogs (that actually come in a giant string of dogs) that you snip off each one to cook. So much better than the cheap kind. They have better flavor, and I love the snap of biting into a natural casing dog. I usually end up making chicago style hot-dogs for myself. Which are the best kind.

Also, polish dogs… so good. When I visit my friend in central IL, we have to stop at the “Windy City Weiners” location, to get chicago dogs and their amazing grilled onion covered polish dog.

So good.

Hotdogs are underrated. You can dress them up in literally a million ways.

Hot dog as an ideal is underrated. Hot dog in practice is certainly not.

This is a danish hot dog. It has Mustard, ketchup, Rémoulade, Onions, chopped and deepfried and pickles.

Dammit, Razgon.

I always hated hot dogs. I couldn’t stand the appeal of that weirdly sweet meat. That’s why I never viewed Costco’s $1.50 hot dog and soda as much of a bargain. Since I couldn’t stand the hot dog itself.

What finally got me turned around on them a little is when I tried various hot dogs with lots of toppings. Like the Chicago dog with its peppers and pickle, or the hot dogs with sauerkraut and other toppings. I still didn’t like hot dog meat, but I discovered if you had to eat one, you could disguise the taste pretty well if you put enough toppings.

I even began to like the Costco hot dog bargain. I could add lots of relish and sauerkraut and ketchup and mustard and onions.

But I finally understand why people like hot dogs. Because as much as I used to dislike them, they’ve sort of grown on me now. I actually don’t mind that weird sweet tasting meat anymore. So I can just imagine that if I’d been having this since I was a kid, I’d probably love Hot Dogs. Even without the toppings.

Celery salt is a fascinating thing to me: I absolutely hate the taste of celery, and yet there are some things that just don’t taste right if there isn’t some celery salt involved. One is the Chicago dog. Another is chili. I struggle with the cognitive dissonance.

And now, back to your regularly-scheduled discussion of nasty BK food.

I mean, hey, some people hate cilantro but love coriander [powder, for the British pedants waiting in the wings]. . .

There’s a genetic basis that causes Cilantro leaves to taste like soap to some people.
It’s similar to the gene that causes some people to perceive Broccoli as tasting really bitter.

I don’t believe the same compounds are located in the seeds.

Also, according to that article, it may have something to do with simple exposure… if you never eat cilantro, then you ONLY associated it with the soapy taste, rather than the food aspect. But this part can be changed as you eat more of it and associate it with food.

Here’s another article about the genetic traits that lead to it tasting like soap for 4-14% of the population.

Yes. The prevalence of said mutation is actually sort of annoying; when I’m “catering” for board game nights w/ friends, I usually wind up splitting my Indian and Mexican dishes in two before adding in cilantro, just in case. . .

Hahaha, we have the same issue…except I’m the only person in our group that thinks it tastes like stink bug mixed with soap.

I don’t care for hot dogs that much, but I used to have a proclivity for drinking moose drool while eating a Sonic chili dog. Those things are like salt licks…mmmm. I’ll give these BK ones a try, since I just got some coupons.

I have a sort of absence make the heart grow fonder relationship to hot dogs. Objectively, I don’t like them. There are hundreds of other foods I prefer. But because until very recently it was basically impossible to find a hot dog in the UK that wasn’t the quality of an old cinema frank, I’d get cravings for them, which could only really be satisfied by finding a German wurst joint, of which there were some. But, along with a bunch of other American comfort food staples like barbecue and mac ‘n’ cheese, they’ve started to pop up all over the place (in London anyway) in the last few years. No doubt they’re pretty terrible in the grand scheme of things.

Looks good, but I’d lose the ketchup.

I’ll bring a pack of dogs to work now and then and microwave a couple of hotdogs for lunch a couple of days. The key is getting a good quality hotdog and then waiting until I’m truly hungry, and then they are tasty. Since it’s a work lunch it’s the dogs, buns, and mustard for me, usually a spicy brown mustard. I usually get wheat buns.

Very true. They are better the fewer of them you eat, and best if it’s been so long since the last you can’t even remember it.

Why does it look like it’s lying on the ground? Did someone try to give it to Andy Samberg?

What’s remoulade?