Buying an office chair - suggestions?

I actually bought my Aeron before they started offering a 12 year warranty on it. When the seat bottom snapped in 2006, I called Herman-Miller and they agreed to honor the warranty. No issues since 2006, 12 years ago. Seriously high-quality kit, and they stand behind it.

Huh. Don’t think I tried that with mine. Been along time, but I think I got mine lightly used, though, so they might not have anyway. Cool, though.

They (the Steelcase Leap chair) are very OK for big people. I’m one of them and my Leap has been great for 8+ years with barely any sign of wear. If by reclining you mean leaning back, then the Leap is good for that too. I lean back in mine constantly. The amount you can lean back and the tension is adjustable. Frankly I have nothing bad to say about the chair at all; if for some reason I needed a replacement I’d not hesitate to get another. Well, price would be my only hesitation, but I’m a cheap bastard, generally.

This only works to a degree. You can only plonk yourself in that chair for a few minutes at most, right? I bought a chair from Sam’s Club once, I think it was in the $200 range. It seemed really comfortable in the store. But after a few hours of using it while reclining part of the time, and not reclining during the rest of the time, I had a huge pain in my butt. Just the way the chair was designed, it caused me to develop a pain after about 30 minutes of sitting down. I convinced my dad to swap it with his $50 chair, since he usually didn’t sit at his computer more than 20 minutes at a time.

There’s a bunch of chairs including Leap chair on sale here:

https://www.madisonseating.com/specials/2018/winter-sale.html

[edit]

Just ordered Leap V2.

those are fabulous prices. Never seen them that cheap - and I got 30% off the main price and that was the best. Great job. You’ll enjoy it!

$529 posturefit Aeron! That’s less than I paid for my OG Aeron in 1998!

You find any deals on the Cherner Chair, DCW, or DCM, let me know. I lust after them but am far too cheap to spend that kind of money on dining chairs.

Those are all open box deals. Still quite the discounts, though, just something to note. Though even at 80% off they still seem steep. Dang I’m cheap.

Heh, they carry ripoff DCWs. But if I wanted a ripoff, I could have picked that up from Amazon.

I did not realize this. :(

I hope it makes no difference.

It wasn’t exactly clearly stated - you had to read down to the bottom of the spec sheets to find that info. I would argue that the savings make it worth the risk, cause the prices new are… silly.

If they’re an authorized reseller, meaning the chairs are covered by warranty, absolutely safe to go for it.

Well?

The chair is in good condition, but I don’t like it. I wish I had gotten one with softer padding.

Just ordered a Steelcase Gesture from the manufacturer. Would have loved to have found a preowned one nearby, but no such luck. I haven’t tried it, which makes me nervous, but you can ship it back at no cost within 30 days as long as you keep the packaging intact.

I am still using the Steelcase Leap I bought in the early 2000’s. I winced at the price. But, the monitor, mouse, keyboard, and chair are all constantly part of my interface experience. The chair has certainly been the best value.

I tried to find when I posted on this thread, and it looks like my Leaps probably lasted me 10 years so far too.

I bought them refurb for $400 too, so worth it.

So for $232.50 I got an open box Steelcase Leap on Madison Seating’s eBay storefront. They sell a tremendous number of these things and most people seem to be very satisfied, so I figured I would give it a shot since I’ve never actually had a genuinely good computer chair before, and I sure as shit wasn’t going to spend $1000 for one.

It arrived in a couple days and came very well packaged in a very large, sturdy box, in three pieces. All I had to do was insert the gas cylinder into the base, and then put the chair on top of it. Condition seems perfectly fine. Apart from a couple light scratches, it might as well be new. All of the features work, and it is really very comfortable. It’s surprisingly heavy and seems to be well built. I only use it for a few hours a day and I’m not a large person (145 pounds or so), so I’m hoping it lasts a very long time.

Seriously? I’m looking for something like that. If ebay’s an option that would be great :)

Same here. I am rebuilding my entire office… although I remember eBay had some pretty slick holiday sales last year.