Bye bye Google Play Music. Say hello to YouTube Music!

Nope, nothing like that for me. The albums are grouped properly by album, and nothing is called a playlist. The only feature difference between the libraries that I can spot is that YT Music is not linking most albums to the artist in that view. Almost certainly due to id3 tag formatting, based on what works and what doesn’t. The tags are there though, and the music shows up in the right place when grouping by artist.

Unfortunately I haven’t been completely happy with how Plex handles music. Still looking for a long-term solution - right now I’m using a mix of Plexamp going through my phone and casting that to a Chromecast Audio that’s hooked up to speakers and streaming direct to the receiver via foobar2k. Plexamp is… ok for mobile listening however it’s a big battery drain in my experience and the Radio feature can sometimes miss the mark completely when trying to pull similar music.

If Plex would let me queue things up by file location that would go a long way. I’ve found it struggles most with compilation albums where multiple artists contribute tracks.

I think this holds true for many Google services, not just Cloud.

" Dear RECIPIENT ,

Fuck yooooouuuuuuuu. Fuck you, fuck you, Fuck You. Drop whatever you are doing because it’s not important. What is important is OUR time. It’s costing us time and money to support our shit, and we’re tired of it, so we’re not going to support it anymore. So drop your fucking plans and go start digging through our shitty documentation, begging for scraps on forums, and oh by the way, our new shit is COMPLETELY different from the old shit, because well, we fucked that design up pretty bad, heh, but hey, that’s YOUR problem, not our problem.

We remain committed as always to ensuring everything you write will be unusable within 1 year.

Please go fuck yourself,

Google Cloud Platform"

Pretty much.

I’m kinda fine w/ the transition from GPM to YTM.

All my tracks are up there, searchable and I can create new playlists with them. That more or less fulfills my needs for my uploaded library.

The fact that myself and the rest of the family on the plan also get YouTube premium w no ads makes up, and then some, for any shortcomings w/ the YTM interface.

On more than one occasion, I’ve come across incomplete (streaming) albums, where it looks like individual tracks got copyright strikes or something in my region (US) and were unavailable for play. Artist sorting is a bit more of a mess than it was on GPM (where it was never great to begin with); Devin Townsend’s output is now spread across like 3 entries, one of which isn’t even directly accessible as an artist in search (I have to look for a particular album, pick that, and then click the artist name to see the stuff listed under it). My uploads aren’t displayed in Artist pages searched up regularly – the entire uploaded library is silo’ed from the streaming content completely, much to my chagrin. Play count data appears to have been purged (which is frustrating, as a means of grabbing songs I vaguely remembered or that fit a rough theme from my uploaded library I’d used for years on GPM was searching for a word I thought might be in the title/artist/album and then sorting by most-played to dig stuff I’d actually listened to before to the top of the search results).

It’s a complete downgrade across the board, insofar as it doesn’t do anything better than GPM (apart from continue to exist past this fall), but does numerous small but frustrating things noticeably worse.

Steve Yegge does the best Google rants.

He is also very often right about them.

That was beautiful, thank you.

I just figured out I cannot buy music on YouTube Music… WTF am I supposed to do with those rewards now?

I usually spend Google rewards currency on books. It makes it a pain to not have all my books under Kindle, but at the same time, it’s good to diversify so I’m not just getting things from Amazon. The Google Books app got much better a couple of years ago, and is just like the Kindle app now.

The removal of the music store is so fucking dumb. Ugh.

I usually just buy shows and movies on there nowadays.

You can email third party books in MOBI format to your Kindle’s email address. They’ll be stored in the Amazon cloud and you can download them on any Kindle app or device using wifi.

I do that for all the free Tor Books, I get them both on Google Books and Kindle that way. But you’re saying I can get the books I buy on Google Books on Kindle as well, because they sell me a Mobi format book?

I don’t know what format Google Books are in - I avoid Google as much as possible for all things. But there are tools to convert eBook formats so you can send a MOBI file.

If they give you mobi then yes you can. I buy ebooks from all different stores, I store them in a calibre (software) library that’s backed up by dropbox automatically, and when I want to read a new book from my library I right click and do “send to ” and it pops up on my kindle, regardless of where Ibought it from.

If they give books in a different format than Calibre will actually convert them to mobi for you.

Google Play Music locked me out of the service when I was doing normal music playback after changing devices 3 times in as many months and only allowed me to reset activations once by phoning into support and begging.

Apple Music and Spotify allow for end user resetting/management of authorized devices. Google: no such thing. Fuck Google Play Music.

You gotta love the attitude that birthed that policy.

Yeah, that’s what’s going to stop music piracy: Making it a PITA for your paying customers to switch devices! Surely that will be the enforcement policy that finally breaks the will of technologically savvy teenagers to download free music!

Also, @rei, you are as always the outlier the is going to bump up against things like per-device usage policies, heh.

Especially since Google Play Music just allowed you to upload whatever music you wanted.

I had nexus 7, 5 and OnePlus one devices at the same time. The nexus phones were rooted and I was trying custom firmwares as well. Should have just pirated the music is their logic.