California is a Liberal Hellhole...with an $8 billion surplus

Cool, that opens up a lot of options.

Anything near Evelyn and Castro is going to be a solid option, as that’s walking distance to downtown MV, which is absolutely awesome for lots of shops, restaurants, bars, etc… The Caltrain station is also right there, so you can get up to San Francisco easily without having to drive, which opens up a ton more options for evening and weekend entertainment.

Some friends of mine lived in the Madera Apartments and liked it a lot. They recently bought a place in Willow Glen over in San Jose (just south of there is my neighborhood) as they wanted to get out of apartment life and into a house.

Rents in general in the Bay are very hard to predict other than that they keep going up. Suggest trying to leave room in the budget to be able to handle some expansion there over the next few years

Downtown San Jose is also an option, with a very different vibe (more urban) and also lots of things to do. Also right on the train line, so that would possibly be a commute option depending on where you’re working.

If you have a relocation package from work, you’ll probably have a month or so where they’ll put you up in a place while you look for permanent housing. Use that aggressively and spend time in a few neighborhoods, both during the day and the evening. Drive through at night and check the feel then, etc…

Housing prices are very strongly correlated to school districts here. Since it’s just you, that’s not a relevant factor, so you may be able to use that to your advantage.

If there are any specific areas you become interested in, I’m sure there’s a few of us around who can dive into more details.

For that matter, I’d be happy to grab coffee or whatever when you’re in the area and talk in person. Maybe we could convince a few others to turn it into a mini-Qt3-meetup. ;)

Have you adequately considered Irvine?

Orange County eeeewwwwwwwwwww.

Hm, Google suggests a speedy 6.5-hour commute from Irvine. I’ll look into it!

It’s a nice drive at least.

No it isn’t.

Oh god it’s not. What? No. Ew. So boring. And smelly.

THIS would be the nice drive.

I like driving through California, the times I’ve done it, but I’ve never been that far up north. What exactly is wrong with driving up 5 that far?

Why is it smelly?

Cow pastures.

Oh, heh, that doesn’t bother me.

It’s amusing living in what would be considered a “flyover state” that the longest drive I’ve ever taken through literal cow country was in the Central Valley.

I have done SF to San Diego on that route. Being driven in a Porsche no less :) Its a beautiful ride for sure. Although now with sadness as my host for that memorable roadtrip has now passed on.

Rest in Peace Mike, you are missed.

Not so much cow pastures as cow processing. It’s not nice friendly smell of cow flop, it’s the cow carcass leftovers that are so pungent.

That’s… a bit different then. I never ran into that on 5, but i never ran that far up north. There’s a landfill around here, and they dump town and crap into it… And when the spring thaw hits and it first gets hot… It is unpleasant.

I can’t imagine that’s some big part of that drive though, right?

As a serious answer, the commute traffic in Mt. View is horrible. All of Google is in that area (Shoreline, Moffett area). Live as close as you can to where you work. Seriously. I work in that general area and it takes me one hour to commute twelve miles.

If you can live within bicycling distance to work, do it. And if you can get a scooter/motorcycle, do that.

There are two large scale cattle farms on the 5. One owned by the Trump supporting crazies at Harris Ranch.

But yeah smell wise you are looking at about 10 mins each, if that when driving by. It is an unpleasant smell but country folk will find it familiar. Cattle stinks, alive and dead.

The rest is just dull although spectacular in places (the grapevine is neat). Ideal road trip for audio books. I have done the 5 from SF to SoCal and back dozens of times. I like it.

Paper mills smell a lot worse than pastures with cows. There are just so many worse smells out there.

Oh God yes.

That’s the route I take. Very nice when it’s not smokey.