Call of Duty: Black Ops

I played a lot of BLOPS and really enjoyed the single player campaign. I really enjoyed the twists near the end and at the end of the game.

I played multiplayer incessantly for a long time but always scored near the bottom of the pack. I guess the twitch-iness of it really frustrated me. That and what seemed to be the awful hit detection.

I also was really frustrated with the run and gun style of the game. I too always preferred Battlefield games which were more strategic and a slightly slower pace. The frenetic pace of BLOPS multiplayer just really grinded my gears after a while. And most of the maps are small and claustraphobic, but that may be because I am used to BF 1942 and BF2 style games more. The more I played BLOPS MP the more I grew frustrated with it. Maybe I’m just too old (33) but it’s just run and gun and to me a good MP FPS for teenagers. I may come back to it once in awhile specially all the time I put into it, but I have to agree with the previous poster in some of his points.

I have to put a plug in here for MAG. I picked it up after my boiling point with BLOPS and have been playing it ever since. Now this is my kind of FPS. HUGE maps, hundreds of players, complex maps and objectives, necessary teamwork. Much more my style.

Glad to see it’s not me just being an old fart re: the frantic nature of the game.

Yeah, I just chalk it up to my reflexes, but I haven’t yet figured out why, when I see someone first, aim, fire, fire, fire, and nothing, then they fire one quick burst and I’m dead. Really frustrating.

And I HATE the robots and dogs. Give me a frikkin’ break - this is a battlefield, and I have to avoid little robots running around? And wild dogs?

Sheesh, maybe I need to check out Battlefield’s latest game. I love the genre in general, and love the ability to earn and buy stuff and customize, but the need to just run and run and gun and run and gun and run and run is not what I’m looking for.

You mirror my situation exactly, it’s the balance between COD and Battlefield that I always wanted.

So two questions:

1. As I continue to try to learn to like COD:BO more, what weapon would you recommend as my primary setup? If it matters, I tend to shoot people quite a bit without them seeming to mind, and then after I fire they kill me with one burst.

2. How would you compare the MP of COD:BO, MW2, and BF:BC2?

1. I would also love to know!!! hahaha because the same thing happens to me… I get the jump on them, aim, shoot, i seem to hit them a few times, nothing happens, then they literally one shot me… and that happens alot. I found the AUG and Galil good assault rifles. AK47 was good too.

2. I did like BLOPS better than MW2 only because it seemed a little more balanced, but I miss Special Ops mode sometimes. I loved BF:BC2 and played the bejeezus out of it only because it’s the closest thing I had to BF3. As I said before, I’m totally loving MAG right now. Must buy if you have a PS3.

The FAMAS is a great assault rifle available at rank 14. I prefer the Galil, but that’s not until like rank 20. Up until then, you can make due with the RPK at rank 6.

FAMAS/AK-47 with red dot sight and silencer are both extremely potent.

AK-47 or AK-74?

I have the Galil, but not the FAMAS. For some reason as my son leveled up to 22 on my XBox before I started playing, he chose not to get the FAMAS. So I have the FAMAS and the Stoner as my two main Class weapons. Looking at the official site, the Stoner should be a killer: 40 damage with no drop off with distance. (Surely that is a misprint?) I made the mistake of putting an IR scope on it because that extended its range, but it is impossible to see through that scope, so I went back to some other one.

I’ve tried the M16, the Galil, the Stoner, the M60, etc. But it seems to always be the same: I shoot someone else, for several bursts, they look at me and shoot one quick burst and I’m dead. I can have someone walk past me and I can shoot them in the back and they seem to have time to turn around and shoot me! I’m missing something in the mechanics, it seems.

I only play hardcore, so this mostly applies there, but for me there really are only 2 guns in the game. The AK74u submachinegun and the Commando assault rifle. There are other options as well (FN FAL/Stoner/Famas) but these two are so far ahead of the others for my playstyle that it’s not even funny. Put a silencer on them and they are deadly accurate with very little recoil. For hardcore you can also run with Warlord as a perk and put a red dot/reflex sight on them, although i mostly use iron sights.

Nope. That’s the shitty netcode in action. There’s nothing you can do about that, unfortunately.

Depends on what you’re trying to do. They are two of the best guns in the game, but for varying reasons. The 47 is an assault rifle with a good deal of accuracy and plenty of stopping power, allowing it to function at a variety of ranges (and being one of the best guns in the game for hardcore mode, which is the only mode I play). The 74u is a peerless submachine gun when you put a grip on it, being absolutely deadly in close quarters and still being able to hold its own at range.

You can’t really go wrong with either one.

If you have trouble beating the 12-18 year olds on twitchy reflexes, do what I do… camp like a boss!

Well, I’d argue it technically isn’t camping in the traditional quake/halo sense as the killcam in non-hardcore modes means you can’t actually stay in exactly the same place and expect to live very long, but you CAN sneakily patrol the same general area using claymores and sound cues to make life miserable for the other team’s players.

The more general advice than just “camp” is focus on staying alive moreso than killing the other guys. That’s what I had to learn when coming into MW2 (my first COD) after years of Quake/Halo style games where the game mechanics allowed me to run into a group of 3 enemies and have a reasonable chance of killing them all. That just doesn’t work in these games (most of the time – sometimes you can run and gun and be OK, but it really depends on the composition of the other team), so it is best to only engage when it is clear you have some tactical advantage.

Don’t be that one asshole on your team that keeps rushing into the enemy team and goes 1-20 and makes the whole team suffer because the other team pulls massive killstreaks off of you.

Always be scanning your minimap (in non-hardcore). Every time some enemy walks by me unaware of my position when I’m not running Ghost and they have a spyplane up, I’m flabbergasted because… why the hell isn’t he scanning his minimap? Eventually you begin to scan it subconsciously, like a rearview car mirror. In Blops though you have to be careful of decoys when it comes to minimap scanning. Decoys are actually really easy to recognize because the firing patterns are much more predictable than a real player, but they still work great against people who suck at noticing that.

FWIW my primary class is ghost/warlord/ninja and I usually use either the Galil if running surpressed or the FAMAS if running unsurpressed. My secondary is always a launcher (law until the strella-3 is unlocked and then I switch over). If you end up playing against a team that sucks so bad they can’t get anything in the air and you’re running out of ammo (especially using the FAMAS), feel free to swap out your secondary with whatever decent weapon you find on the ground even prior to running out of ammo on your primary. My K/D and W/L are both currently ~1.5, good, not super great, but plenty high enough for the game to be a ton of fun.

I haven’t played BLOPS yet myself, but a friend of mine who’s really into all the COD games has and has decided that it punishes him for having a really, really fast internet connection. Somehow the host gets terrible lag? He was complaining about the same thing as you, see somebody first, start unloading on them, they turn around and kill him. He said when he watched the killcam he’d see it from their point of view and see himself shooting at a wall, missing them the whole time. What does the killcam look like in your situation?

I hate, hate, HATE being host in Black Ops. They have some sort of no host advantage logic in the game that seems to be attempting to add some “lag” for the host, but it is horribly broken on some people’s setups. On mine, if I’m host I’ll show 4 green bars (naturally) but it’ll feel like I’m playing on a 2400 baud modem. It is especially bad in Ground War, but also happens in regular TDM.

BTW, I don’t think the issue is really about having a fast internet connection, I think it has to do with having a very asymmetrical connection. My internet connection has a very fast download speed and relatively garbage upload speed (compared to the download speed). The people I know who also have this issue have similar setups while the people whose down/up speeds are closer (even if their downspeed and upspeed are both about the same as my upspeed) seem to not have this issue.

I’ve been ranting about this one for a while but they seem to be uninterested in fixing it. Most of the time the game picks me as host I end up quitting out because the game is close to unplayable, so the host will get migrated and then I have to find a new game. I suspect a lot of people do this, which probably accounts for much of the reason why host migration and sudden game endings are much more common in black ops than they were in MW2.

If there were a way for me to blacklist myself from ever being host in the game, I would do that, though I’d prefer if they just fixed their shit up the right way.

Interesting, I’ll try that. I’ve had a hard time finding good ambush spots on these maps, but I’ll take a shot at that strategy.

BTW - does everyone play Deathmatch? I was wondering how some of the capture the flag/HQ modes play relative to deathmatch (the only thing I have played.)

Team DM is the most popular but if you actually want to enjoy yourself I recommend Domination. It’s a simple capture and hold 3 points gametype like a baby Battlefield.

I must say about an hour an a half into the SP campaign , I am quite enjoying it.

The interrogation / flashback presentation works very well.

I mostly play only Domination in CoD games. Modern Warfare 2 was the only one where I abandoned domination because winning was too easy. Too many people who just didn’t care about the score and only cared about their K/D ratio. Which is so bizarre to me. Why are you playing Domination if all you want to do is kill people and not win the game? Anyway, Domination was no fun in MW2. But in Black Ops it’s fun again. People actually try to win. I wonder why? What makes the player base change their objective like that?

If you don’t win you don’t get jack for cash. Not that I think the cash system is all that hot mind you but it does enforce playing by the “rules” pretty well.

I think it’s because Treyarch brilliantly made your KD ratio a statistic you only see on leaderboards like TDM and free for all. When you look at the Domination leaderboard(and other objective games), KD ratio isn’t there. I think.