Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - 2019's soft reboot of CoD

“Fists Only”

TTK looks a bit slower than I would like, but I normally play CoD in HC mode.

You mean with fists or in general? TTK is definitely weapon dependent. The desert eagle pistol was a two shot kill unless you headshot them. Shotguns were one or two dependent on range and type. Most assault rifles were are a few bullets dependent on hit location and whether they’re silenced or not.

In general, everything felt really good. The wimpiest pistol was universally derided for its five to seven shot kills. You just can’t miss with that thing and you really want headshots.

Overall though, I thought it was right on. Any faster and it would all be one hit kills. It was quite a change going back to Apex last night with the need to spray a whole clip to take someone down.

In general.

Like I said, I’ve generally played HC, where a few bullets, tops, from any weapon will kill you.

I play Hardcore a lot less than standard, but I understand the expectation. I thought this felt a lot like Hardcore, but you’re probably right that it’s a little more forgiving. I think that’s good for this mode though as the rounds are fast as it is. I really like that there’s a time limit and a flag to cap forcing action at the end of a round. I won a tight one with a lot of ooooing and ahhhhhing later in the day by capping in a slick way.

Everything is laser focused on creating conflict, which I think is really good for any mode.

CoD is always a reasonably short TTK, this looks pretty close to that. A little longer than Titanfall.

I don’t even know if this comic represents the game in this thread, so I’m taking a wild guess this is the correct place for this.

Disclaimer - I do not condone, nor agree (or disagree) with any of the opinions stated in this web comic. I am merely posting it for the purposes of amusement, and any inference as to the meaning of my posting this comic is entirely projected onto me.

Omg this is good! TTK is similar to the Gunfight mode. Don’t get near people with shotguns. All the grenades are useful. Satchel charges pack a wallop. The sound… oh the sound… this is the CoD you want to play.

I scared my neighbors cats with the subwoofer. It’s awesome.

Been thinking about this a lot since putting in about three hours with it yesterday. The game this most reminds me of is Soldier of Fortune 2, which I always thought was one of the most lethal first person shooters I’d ever played in a very good way. Modern Warfare is tuned in a similar way, where you need to be aware of your exposure and you need to be a good shot, preferably at heads.

It also features some of the most violent shotguns we’ve seen in a long time. The powerful blast of one discharged right in your face as you round a corner will make you jump. It’s totally viable to play the Hackney Yard map with that as your primary and clean up. That said, I do think the game favors assault rifles so far, although Grazna Raid can make for some satisfying sniping. That’s also the 10v10 map, which is a pretty neat twist on Call of Duty gameplay. No vehicles available, but having larger teams leads to a lot more chaos. I wasn’t as enamored of it as I thought I’d be, but I think that’s because it’s Team Deathmatch only that I’ve played there.

Headquarters is a superb mode that’s returning after a long absence from the series. The HQ must be captured and defended. It’s basically King of the Hill. The maps have excellent design and placement of the HQ for this mode. If you play the beta this weekend, you should definitely give it a try.

Finally, I’ve been playing the Demolition gear class and just love its combination of explosives, rocket launcher (for UAVs and Personal Radar) and the AK-47. It’s a lot of fun to satchel charge an approach during HQ mode holed up behind my mobile deployable cover. BOOM!

I’m playing on PS4. This weekend is for pre-orders. Next weekend is open to everyone on PS4, Xbox and PC. If you haven’t played Call of Duty in a long time, this is one you should check out.

I just saw a post on CAG saying the beta is open to everyone on PS4 this weekend.

I was playing the “realism” mode, and i have to say, i like it… But it’s really crazy.

It’s basically HC mode, but goes even further. There’s no HUD at all… meaning there’s no kill scroll, and no hit indicators.

TTK seems a bit faster, but even the normal mode was fast, so it might not be. But the lack of hit markers? That makes it super different. You only know that you got and killed someone by actually seeing them go down.

For some reason, this made the game really different.

I played it a LOT this weekend. Realism was a total blast and I was very good at it. It rewards players who prioritize cover, clearing doors and corners, and just plain play smartly IMO. I was reading some of the griping about the minimap and it was pissing me off this weekend, because it’s a huge crutch, and one you’d never have on a battlefield. That made the addition of Realism even more exciting for me. It was like doubling down on the lack of minimap. It also showed off how pretty this game is and how detailed the locations are. I was very impressed.

As for time to kill, I don’t think it was any faster in that mode although maybe headshots were more lethal? I seemed to get a lot of seeming one shot kills to the head in that mode but I’m always going for them now so maybe I was just better at laying a sight on people’s melons by the end of the weekend?

I played Gunfight again and it’s still as good as it was in Alpha so I’ll play that mode when the game ships too. I’m sure that’s going to be a really tense Pro level mode. I will actually watch top level Call of Duty players playing that mode.

The best thing so far for me though is them bringing back Headquarters. I wasn’t into the series at all when it last appeared in Black Ops II and I’m sorry I missed it. It is phenomenal in Modern Warfare. I love defending those locations on Grazna Raid. Holding out in a house that’s shot to hell with grenades and rockets roaring through the windows while you gun down everything that moves is a singular experience, especially when you survive lengthy assaults.

I’m kinda glad the beta will be down until the weekend again because I was totally hooked and I need to get my evenings back!

Seems like they’re bringing it back due to all the complaints.

Hopefully, it’s still not there in the realism mode, which sounds a lot like how Insurgency Sandstorm plays (which is good). I’ve pre-ordered the game on PC, but am not able to play it until Friday anyway when it opens for everyone. D’oh.

Sigh. I am tired of gamemaking by committee.

I only played on Sunday, so I didn’t realize they had previously removed the minimap… I actually would have liked that.

However, even as it was, the minimap on Sunday was better than previous incarnations. I liked that they didn’t show where enemies were, and that you only got blips on your compass from enemy fire.

People were losing their minds on Thursday into Friday… well, streamers were. They need those crutches to be able to play run and gun like they do. I can’t even imagine how those people would have survived in the Quake era when you had only your wits and your skill to keep you alive and reach the top of leaderboards.

Streamers are garbage.

I just saw a video for Ground War mode, did CoD add a Battlefield game mode ?

Yep! They’re stepping on battlefield!

I have…feelings about this. Vague, probably not well thought-out feelings, but I’ll state them here anyway.

First, yes, obviously CoD is trying to take a bite out of Battlfield with Ground War. It mostly checks those boxes. Larger map, vehicles, etc. On paper, it sounds good.

From a tech standpoint, they’ve nailed it. Ground War looks like a modern Call of Duty, with fast action, lots of players, and solid frame rates. Everything is snappy and polished.

But, I dunno. TTK is still very Call of Duty. While the map is big, it’s not so big that it actually needs vehicles, and the vehicles don’t allow for the wacky shenanigans that Battlefield does. It almost feels crowded. It’s like a Battlefield version of Nuketown.

The thing about Battlefield is that you get intense bursts of combat with stretches of movement and situational assessment between them. The long bits of travel and thinking about how to enter combat are part of the rhythm. Without them, you’re just doing the kill-respawn-kill dance.

A different mode should feel different. But in this, there’s no contrast. You’d get the same rhythm in normal CoD team DM. You just added a longer load time for Ground War. At least with the Battle Royale mode in BLOPs 4, it felt very different from the rest of the game.