Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - 2019's soft reboot of CoD

OK cool, if Price is back then I’m in.

• No map packs or season pass.
  • cross-play between consoles and PC
  • Holy moly new engine!

Tech: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare features a new engine delivering an immersive and photo-realistic experience. The new technology utilizes the latest advancements in visual engineering, including a physically-based material system allowing for state-of-the-art photogrammetry, a new hybrid tile based streaming system, new PBR decal rendering system, world volumetric lighting, 4K HDR, DirectX Raytracing (PC) and more, as well as a new GPU geometry pipeline. Spectral rendering delivers thermal heat radiation and infrared identification for both thermal and night-vision in-game imaging. The technical investment made provides a cutting-edge animation system and blend shape system, while the new suite of audio of tools allows for full Dolby ATMOS support, on supported platforms, along with the latest in audio simulation effects.

OK, that looks great.

Meh.

It’s 2v2. And that GameSpot video is FPS veteran against people who haven’t played shooters before. Boring.

They had some mp shown today. In addition to what was shown apparently there is a 100(+) player mode called ground war that is coming.

Just the trailer:

Wait… vehicles?!

Plus what’s that first section of the trailer? It looks like single player/campaign type scenario where they are infiltrating a cave/compound. Maybe some kind of coop mode PvE?

Yes. Vehicles. The Ground War multiplayer mode has them. 20v20 up to 50v50 on larger maps with vehicles. It’s basically them stepping on Battlefield.

Hunh… well, if they do Battlefield like the OLD Battlefield, I’m totally in for some of that. I guess it was inevitable the pendulum would swing that way one day.

I love that their maps feel like real places again. That looks great.

Anyone else playing the Alpha this weekend? It’s good stuff. I’m really enjoying the quick 2v2 matches. Some of the maps are like playing paintball with gun variety. I can imagine some tense competitive play with this.

Game looks great and performance is superb on my PS4 Pro. Highly recommended if you have a PS4 to give this a try. Sometimes teammates flake, but it’s been ok. One thing that’s funny is it’s an all chat between rounds. Trash talk or teammate denigration can be pretty hilarious!

Good times…

I downloaded this, but by the time I booted it up, the alpha ended literally seconds before I was about to launch my first game.

I played a bit over the weekend. It was solid. 2v2 isn’t my thing, so I’m pretty sure I won’t play it much when the full game comes out, but what I saw was polished.

That sucks! It was really cool. 2v2 was a blast for me. It was all about angles, spotting, and then hitting your shots. The various subweapons (grenades, molotov, claymore, C4) were a lot of fun to mess with too. Claymores especially were really useful on some maps.

I thought the map design was great. There’s lots of variety there with some having multiple approaches and others being flat out long range sniper fests, but even then you could get on the ground unseen to rush the other side so it led to tactical talk before a match. The only thing really missing is… Apex-style R1 context spotting! Holy smoke that is a hell of a feature and should be in every game now. It’s mitigated somewhat by voice chat, but still.

Their ragdoll physics were about the best I’ve ever seen too.