Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - 2019's soft reboot of CoD

Hunh… I just played about an hour or so of the campaign followed by like two hours of multiplayer with zero issues on PS4. Totally time warped from 8pm to 12am.

The Xbox’s Kinect probably picked up supportive comments they made about the Hong Kong protesters.

-Tom

Just had a glance at the metacritic user reviews and it appears that the game’s reception in Russia is about as warm as their winters:

Now it makes sense that PlayStation Russia decided not to release the game there.

Haha, well that was inventive. Modern problems require modern solutions.

I enjoyed my time with this on the weekend. The multiplayer is excellent. The campaign is… from like at least ten years ago. It’s really nothing I’m interested in. It seems to me that you can do a hell of a lot better in 2019. Certainly Titanfall 2 and Infinite Warfare showed that. I made it at least an hour into it and then stopped. It just wasn’t worth my time.

One thing that’s super noticeable when playing any of these multiplayer modes though is the lack of Apex Legends’ pinging function. It would be super useful here as well, and it’s jarring to me now that it’s not available. That should be standard in every multiplayer first person team-based shooter from here on out. It’s just way too good and way too important to me.

I have to say overall I’m probably not as excited as I was in the Alpha and Beta, but maybe that’s because I played a ton during both and those also focused everyone on a single or a small handful of game modes. Having everything in one package almost dilutes the whole thing by adding moar. One thing I really did like is the urban map in Ground War. It’s very unique in that there are some super vertical spaces. One of the buildings is 20 stories tall! That’s crazy! People go up there to snipe of course, but that just makes them extremely vulnerable to a bombardment. It has a completely different feel from Karst River Quarry which has a ton of open space you can’t get across safely (and is frustrating as hell).

I think this version of the game is at its best in any of the objective modes over standard team deathmatch, which is a big change from the last few where I thought TDM was by far the best way to play. I will play it a bunch more I’m sure, but by the end of the weekend I was back to Apex Legends because… man, that game… it’s like the arcade games I kept pouring quarters into as a kid. I’m now Gold in ranked. Competition definitely ramps as you move up, but I love it. It’s just so fast paced and action packed and the new map is brilliantly designed.

The campaign is competent. Very high production values. But, it all feels so damn dour compared to the wackiness of multiplayer. In MP, Call of Duty is guitar riffs, killstreaks, killcams, jumping out windows, high-fives and hell yeah fun. The campaign is a grim parade of war atrocities.

The dissonance has always been there, but it feels so much more noticeable now that they’re going for 100% modern real-world stuff. No jump jets, space ships, or robot armies to take the edge off. Even the recent WWII setting gave a bit of insulation since it was arms-length history.

Yes. Totally agreed. When Price pushed the guy with the bomb strapped to him over the railing and he blew up, I think that was the moment I checked out. I get it. He makes a decision to save everyone else at the expense of that dude. It’s just grim and no fun at all. It’s disgusting and turns me off.

I made it through the entire first Urzikstan mission after that and stopped at the next setup.

Multiplayer is crazy fun, as it often has been. I definitely liked jump jets, space ships, and robot armies more in general, but for a game using mostly “real” gear, this definitely hits it out of the park. The feel of the guns and the movement is second only to Apex IMO.

I don’t know that you would have even got to the interesting stuff in that amount of time. I thought the mission where you hide your weapon, and the mission with the RC planes were both really cool. The embassy mission was big and dynamic in a way past campaigns almost never were.

I played the mission with the RC planes entirely. I stopped after that. It was fine. It’s just… not exciting. It all feels staged in ways that make it rather dull. The whole grab the oil filter to use it as a silencer thing was so 2007 that I thought I had more hair again.

I loved that it just screwed right on. No adapter needed or anything.

I bought and played COD MW1-3, Infinite Warfare + Advanced Warfare, WWII for the excellent in-game engine storytelling in the campaign and never played multiplayer. Yes, I realize I was always ripped off by buying it in the first place.

I suppose I’ll just youtube the cutscenes/campaign for all ones going forward.

Yeah, pistol threaded oil filters are all the rage now, right?

*sigh*

I’m sure some people will be over the moon that it has solo story at all and that you can continue it in the co-op missions, but it’s not for me. After Titanfall 2, it’s going to take something amazing for me to be interested in these things again. Controversial scenes also aren’t a selling point for me. Exactly the opposite in fact.

They stole that from Days Gone which only came out this year!

So you also missed the embassy part where you are just guiding a civilian through the building via security cameras, too.

…because that’s what I bought Call of Duty for… to guide civilians via security cameras.

I think you’re not understanding me very well. It’s the presentation. It feels totally archaic. It’s got the structure of a 2007 game… which funny enough, is when the original Modern Warfare debuted. If you dig it, that’s cool. Games have come a long way since then… or maybe they haven’t and I’m the one whose expectations are too high? Admittedly I’m not playing many single player games like this anymore, mainly because they all seem to be rather rote and do not engage me.

It’s not specifically about stealing the silencer bit from Days Gone. It’s about how the structure of the game even includes something that silly in the first place. I guess people just say, “Video games!” now and love it?

Combat Evolved back in 2001. They can do better.

MW was built on the creaky id Tech 3 engine way back when it debuted the lack of gameplay innovation is just one more thing they keep retreading.

I haven’t played a cooridor shooter since… well, before you were born!

Ok, that’s slightly innacurate. I did play the first few levels of the Shadow Warrior remake.

Yeah, I guess I don’t understand the complaint. You didn’t buy the game expecting an open world Far Cry game. It’s always been a globe trotting, mission based structure. I don’t see how that is “archaic” by definition. They’ve tried a lot of interesting twists on the formula with this game and gone way outside the box for games of this type. I have no idea what the first Halo is even supposed to have done better…

Is the Infinite Warfare campaign worthwhile? I have zero interest in multiplayer CoD and so haven’t played any of the series since the original CoD4 Modern Warfare other than dabbling a bit with the beginning of Black Ops 1 and World at War (both of which almost instantly lost me). Shooter campaigns/storylines seem so poor these days. Do the Battlefield games have any good ones?