Call of Duty: WW2 - 2017 Sledgehammer's return to CoD "roots"

Yes! I love watching friends open loot boxes and get awesome stuff.

Said no one ever.

There are countless Youtube videos (FIFA packs, Hearthstone cards, Overwatch crates, etc) with hundreds of thousands of positive comments and thumbs up saying otherwise.

If I had a time machine I would go back in time to:

• Kill Hitler
  • Change the course of history so loot boxes never became part of gaming

Not necessarily in that order.

I think it will be important for you to find out

1. Which game first had loot boxes
  2. Which game had wildly successful lootboxes that taught the rest of the industry that this was a successful idea.

Those two might be the same game, or different games, I don’t know.

Now, thanks to Call of Duty, we can go one Inception level deeper and stream ourselves in-game, watching other players open loot boxes. So there could be Twitch/Youtube viewers watching their favorite streamer watching someone else open a loot box.

Better yet, there can now be Discord screen-sharing of a Twitch stream of it all.

Courtesy of CAG, if you’re a Comcast/Xfinity customer, you can get into the CoD: WW2 beta:

I used to play an ungodly amount of Call of Duty 2 back in the day. I even was fairly competitive on public servers. I preferred using bolt action rifles and could drop automatic wielding opponents with relative ease.

Today I tried the CoD WWII beta on Xbox and I don’t understand this game anymore. I am an old man. I always wanted a return to WWII in this series, and while we got it, it comes draped in all the trappings that the series has accumulated over the years. Many mechanics that are not muscle memory to me but clearly are to other players. I like the speed of modern shooters but here it confuses me and moves way too fast for mid-twentieth century armament and tactics. Man I have been out of the scene too long.

That was pretty intense… very interesting looking story. Not shying away from the nazi stuff…

PREORDER NOW FOR DOUBLE XP

Seems the PC open beta is this weekend, same time as the Lawbreakers free weekend, lol.

Anyone trying this? Is it actually any good?

I have. It’s okay, I guess? I mean, it’s boots-on-the-ground CoD MP, which is what everyone has been clamoring for. The vehicle stuff is terrible, just like it was in World at War. The maps feel tiny. Gunplay is solid.

I don’t think I’ll be able to play any over the weekend though. I have Divinity 2 and Warhammer 2 calling to me.

Gonna try some tonight, anyone want to play also?

The small maps are already a big negative for me, I am so use to Battlefield size maps that I consider them the standard for all game to match.

I would love a AAA, tight, desperation-style CQB game where you have to blow up adjoining walls to get from point to point because being seen in the street is insta-kill, where one SP gun or tank changes the game entirely, and house-to-house is the order of the day. Stalingrad, in other words.

Spent a few hours with it yesterday and It sorta feels like the recent CODs with a WW2 skin. Its alright but nothing special.

I played 4 hours last night. Haven’t played any COD in about 3 years…hate the modern ones.

Liked it quite a bit…except the lag and the smallish maps.

It’s fun…not groundbreaking or anything.

I dislike the interface, nothing screams console port like having to use 3 different screens to get back to the PC desktop. Anyways, uninstalled, I am too old and grumpy for this game. :p

No comment.