Can I tell UPS to not deliver a package?

I ordered a monitor to replace one that I thought was broke. That was yesterday. Today we fiddled around with the monitor some more trying different cables and it apparently works. At least for now.

So now I have UPS set to deliver a brand-new monitor from New Egg on Tuesday but I don’t need it. Is there some way to call UPS and tell them to send it back or am I basically going to get a new monitor?

I left a clue.

You can refuse delivery at the door and they’ll return it to the sender.

Seems rude to order something and then just refuse it and send it back to the sender. Can’t you ask New Egg if you can return it?

Actually Newegg would much rather you just refused it at the door then to return it, not to mention the additional costs on both ends if you return it.

OK, fair enough then. I didn’t know how they worked.

It’s different for every company, some like Amazon would rather have you receive the package then email them for return tags.

Hmm, not that I’ve been told. Last time I wanted to cancel something with Amazon while it was in transit with UPS, they said to refuse it.

Check with Newegg for its current policy.

I did that with Newegg on their advice. They told me to refuse it and it would just get sent back to them and they’d credit my account. You should probably call them though. Keep it anonymous like “I ordered something from you but have changed my mind, should I just refuse it?” that than “Here is my order number, so you can flag my order”.

The first thing that came to mind is that if you call them and tell them that there’s a severed head in the box, they probably won’t deliver it. But you might go to jail.

Well, if they are shipping it and no one is there to refuse it and NewEgg said it was OK to deliver without signature…then something different would need to occur.

Well thanks for the suggestions but it’s a moot point. The monitor failed again after being left on for a couple of hours. I’m guessing it’s overheating or the power supply or something. Anyway I’m going from a 19" 5:4 monitor to a 24" 16:9 monitor.

Yippie.