Cancel Culture

That would make one hell of a Handmaid’s Tale season.

I’ll see myself out.

:

Thanks for the reply on that, Scott. I don’t remember Robin getting into much controversial material but the other three sure did.

It’s comments like the tweet below that Chappelle is directly pushing back against through much of The Closer. A narrow reading of his material based on second and third hand knowledge, despite his material being widely available. Anyone who’s seen the recent special should be able to see the problem with George Takei’s tweet pretty quickly.

The biggest take away I got from his special was an appeal to empathy, an appeal to each individuals humanity, and a divorce from character/identity (both in terms of how we see ourselves and each other) built through the media.

Yeah, that’s a pretty dumb tweet since Chappelle very intentionally made sure to attack Asians, Jews, etc. in the leadup to the transgender part of his show. It’s kind of fundamental to the point/argument he was making.

That’s okay, I like Takei. I say dumb shit all the time. Thankfully it’s just you poor folks that have to read it instead of millions of people on Twitter. :)

I don’t know. George Takei seems like an open-minded and fair individual. I would like to think that he would do his due diligence before wadding into this.

So, with that being said, could he be right? We all have our own blind spots in life, so it might be hard to grasp what other people are saying, or, for some reason, insists that what other people are saying must be objectively false because it doesn’t fit with the narrative of the world we have built.

Further reinforcement that this huge evil “cancel culture” that needs to be exposed and expunged is people talking shit on twitter.

Yeah, we need a new thread.

The second joke in the special is about Jews and he brings it back later in the special.

Certainly Takei misses much of what Chappelle was saying to make cover. On the other hand, the notion that you can deflect criticism for your making fun of one out group by first carefully making fun of some others is, well, a bit of a strange approach.

Made a thread, so we can stopped talking about it here, because it doesn’t make sense since no one is “Cancelling” Dave Chappelle.
@tomchick can you do the honors?

My snark wasn’t directed at discussion of the special being in this thread but at whole whole notion of “cancel culture”.

I mean when your go to example of the horrible repression of cancel culture that must be fought is a George Takei tweet you might want to reexamine your point.

And do you people think irony meters are cheap? Can we skip another round of “people should understand Dave better before saying things about him”?

The George Takei tweets are the most insidious and dastardly form of the cancel culture. It is known.

I think the calls for Netflix to take down the special is the evidence of cancel culture. The Takei tweet is just so on point with the exact thing Chappelle is addressing, and refuting, in his special, and Takei is oblivious to it.

Like I said, I like Takei, but I think it’s pretty clear he didn’t. Not that it’s some great crime or anything, of course.

Chappelle made jokes about Asians being dirty and carrying COVID-19 about Black people assaulting them. Things that are actually happening to that community, and something they’ve struggled with this past year. He took a dig at Jews/Israel about barging in and taking land they left, also a sensitive subject. Nothing about Muslims, that I can recall.

In any case, that was the set up when he started his bit on various trans issues. My take on it is he was doing so methodically to make a point that what he would get attacked for (and he was very much intending to provoke this with The Closer) was the trans part. Nevermind all the offensive things he said about Asians, Jews, etc.

So Takei coming in and saying “Would Netflix do this if he attacked Asians and Jews?” makes it pretty clear that he doesn’t have familiarity with the material, only the outrage he’s read online about the material. Which I think was the main thing Chappelle was irritated with and what prompted him to do the show.

I mean… no? He’s objectively wrong.

It’s a small culture then, that cancel culture.

I have the right to say whatever I want but no one else has the right to criticize the things I say or they’re being oppressors is absolutely the dumbest form of outrage.

So nobody should be allowed to call the special’s removal? I’d disagree with those people but you are calling for criticism to be stifled.

Also I’ll point out many critics, like the one in the interview, are not calling for the special to be canceled. Some are calling simply for reflection. But it’s always convient to use the most radical voices to pretend other criticisms don’t exist.

At least we can agree it exists!

I think Chappelle would absolutely agree with you. It’s kinda the point of the special.

No.

Of course, there is an objective reality, and only you and Ayn Rand can understand it.

I feel like, the one reason it’s easy to see why you would vote GOP @Timex is the inability to accept that other people might have valid opinions on important things that differ from you and that it’s okay to disagree.

Takei has had a bad week on Twitter. He went after Shatner about the spaceflight too, and Shatner absolutely dunked on him.