Capcom to non-HDTV owners: You're screwed

Basically if you don’t have a HDTV and you purchased Dead Rising and can’t read the text then… you’re out of luck. There will not be a patch to fix this issue. And by the way you should have bought a HDTV before you bought a 360.

Great. Thanks Capcom!

Oh well, I’m having more fun with Saint’s Row anyway. Most of the dialog is spoken which is better than reading a bunch of text anyway (especially if you are well across the room).

I don’t see the need for a HDTV at this point. Saint’s Row looks just fine on my 5+ year old Toshiba.

fiend

Hey, this is exactly like the time Capcom released Steel Battalion and then fixed it (i.e. didn’t fix it) for all the people who couldn’t get it to work online!

Thanks Capcom!

-Tom

Haven’t bought a Capcom game since. If I had a 360, I’d hate them even more now, 'cause I’d cave and buy the kickass zombie game, but I don’t have HDTV.

I have a nineteen-inch monitor with an S-Video cable for my 360 and the text seems perfectly legible to me.

Of course, I’m usually maybe four feet away from the screen when I play.

That Capcom didn’t do the testing needed to catch this is inexcusable; I won’t try to defend that, but getting your hopes up for a patch seemed blindly optimistic to me. I haven’t seen the problem first hand since I’ve been playing on a HDTV, but if it’s really a problem with all the mission text, I don’t see how they could easily fix it without really messing around with the UI.

Microsoft has to share some of the blame as well. There is a whole extensive quality assurance process that they do on all Xbox 360 games. If the text in a game is too small to read on SDTVs, Microsoft shouldn’t allow the game to pass the QA process.

Fuckin’ Capcom and Microsoft.

Between this and the whole “King Kong is too dark too play in SDTV”, I’m wondering if their testers exclusively use HDTVs and/or computer monitors.

Yeah, well, in their defense, it was King Kong, after all. I mean, come on.

I love the laughing in the update. That’s quality customer support right there.

It really is unfortunate that there seems to be a lack of support for SDTVs. The lazy developer in me cheers the decision, as less testing platforms required inherently means less work. But still… the good developer in me thinks it’s ridiculous that people wouldn’t take the time to make sure it’s legible on the cheapest crap-ass SDTV available.

Problem is, they may have tested on an SDTV. But it might have been a good one. I played dead rising on a friend’s high quality crt SDTV and the text was readable. So again, might just be a strange case of weird test procedures.

I think it’s a far bigger problem that you can’t control the speed of the text. I have a lot of friends who aren’t native english speakers, and even with HDTVs, Dead Rising frustrates them because they don’t have time to read the text.

I think it mainly talks to their QA procedures. If they can’t test their game on more than a couple of TVs, it can’t be that thorough of a process.

And as for the speed of the text, while is sounds a problem, I don’t know I’d rate it over not being able to see the text at all.

I don’t see the big deal. The text is very unimportant in DR. Just wait for it to go away and then check your map for the scoop locations.

This is disappointing, but not unexpected. Dead Rising was the title I was looking forward to most this year, I bought a 360 just to play it, and I wound up abandoning it within a few days, for two big reasons.

1. I’m having a hard time with the “You can’t actually do what you’re being asked to do right now… you’ve got to die a bunch of times and try this again when you’re actually ten levels higher”. On the one hand, I think the concept of starting over with your levels and skills intact is kind of neat. On the other, every time I talked to one of my friends about something I was trying to achieve on the first day and they replied with “Oh, you shouldn’t try to do all that before you’re level 20” or something, iti was hard to swallow.

2. The text. I know it’s probably not a huge issue for many people, and anybody who can read the text must be scratching their heads and saying “It can’t really be that big a deal, can it?” But I miss out on just enough context and information to hurt my gameplay, and that jackass photographer scolded me for taking the wrong picture when I had absolutely no idea what he wanted me to shoot that I eventually stopped putting DR in the gameplay rotation, and had a lot more fun playing Fight Night 3 and Saints Row.

That’s not true though. QA is a software process on consoles, not hardware. The hardware is supposed to be constant and reliable.

Since we can no longer return flawed games I feel they owe it to their customers to correct this issue. Logically they should buy each and every one of them an HDTV.

So you’d design the QA process for a console game all one one TV? You could work at Capcom then.

That’s not what I’m saying. You said their QA process isn’t that thorough – I say it’s perfectly thorough, as it’s intended to be a software process not a hardware process. You are looking at their apples and bitching that they aren’t oranges.

I agree, they should probably have some oranges as well, but console QA has traditionally been apples.

I’d like to know what the story is without getting a fat headache while I play. I think the lack of legible text is the main reason I spend more time with Saints Row, Table Tennis and Burnout than I do with Dead Rising.

Your friend is weaksause. I did pretty much everything on the first playthrough except saving all the survivors. There’s nothing to prevent you from doing anything in the game.

1. The text. I know it’s probably not a huge issue for many people, and anybody who can read the text must be scratching their heads and saying “It can’t really be that big a deal, can it?” But I miss out on just enough context and information to hurt my gameplay, and that jackass photographer scolded me for taking the wrong picture when I had absolutely no idea what he wanted me to shoot that I eventually stopped putting DR in the gameplay rotation, and had a lot more fun playing Fight Night 3 and Saints Row.

Heh I could read the text just fine and I still didn’t know what the hell that photographer wanted me to take a picture of.