Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead

Thanks, Vorm. But, well, crap. The reason I crafted the small metal one was so I could store it in my mobile base and travel with it when it isn’t being used. I was assuming the stone one was a permanent, fixed structure you can’t pack away so I didn’t build it. I don’t want to have to build a new one every time I stop someplace new.

How on earth do they expect you to figure out how to use the smaller one, anyway? That’s horrible as far as UI goes. That makes me strongly suspect that this is a code hack and obtuse because it was the only way they could figure out how to get a smaller one to work using the current game’s code structures.

I have never used one before but had read previously that it sucked. Did some Google-Fu and loaded up my test world to see just how bad the process was. I would still recommend the stone kiln. It doesn’t take that long to stockpile a tremendous supply of smoked meat and/or pemmican with the new butchery systems. Given how much meat drops now, you probably need two charcoal kilns and four smoking racks just to get it all done before the meat spoils. Then you don’t have to worry about it again for a long time. If you need stone to build it/them just burn down a building or two and you get all the stone/nails/wood-ash you might need.

Stable release 0.D “Danny” came out this year.

“This release is made up of 37,604 commits authored by over 700 contributors, and it roughly doubled the number of everything in the game, items, monsters, map buildings, you name it, we doubled it.”

Summary of top changes:

• Many quality of life enhancements such as auto-pulp, autopickup, batch actions, interacting with adjacent items and improved long-action handling.
  • Pixel minimap for tiles mode.
  • Guns accept magazines when appropriate.
  • Player stamina stat that is burned by running and other physical exertion.
  • Player faction base that allows incremental growth and autonomous work by NPCs.
  • The player remembers terrain and furniture they have seen.
  • Carrying racks for small vehicles.
  • Vehicle system (speed, fuel consumption, terrain effects) overhaul.
  • Overhauled nutrition, food spoilage and food state changes (freezing).
  • Overhauled bomb fragment handling.
  • NPC dialogue support, group commands, tactical instructions and backstories.
  • Dynamic Lighting.
  • Roughly DOUBLED the amount of in-game content.
  • Unheard-of levels of bugfixing.
  • Full translations for Chinese, German, Japanese, Polish and Russian.

I guess I’m going to have to jump back in and see what’s changed.

If you run into any problems or have any questions feel free to ask. I provide a ton of tutorial and help videos for the game and troll the forums/discord/reddit answering questions.

Here’s a beginner question: how do I download this? I’m staring at this page and clicked on cataclysmdda-0.E-Windows_x64-Tiles-10478.zip and got a ‘not found’ message.

I use this

It downloads the files and updates them when new builds come out.

I haven’t played this in a few years so today I took a look at jumping back in. I decided not to. The latest version seems to have problems and they dropped support for the tileset I liked. They also added realism changes that don’t seem like much fun, they just seem tedious.

Thanks!

Oh, wow. So, never mind! On to something else!

I think with that launcher (been a while since I’ve used it) you can actually install older builds. If your concerned about recent changes you could just install a version from a while back.

The latest version ‘problems’ are in the experimental branch with the ‘nested containers’ update that radically changed the inventory system. It was a bounty project on the github for 7 years since no one wanted to touch such a big project. Someone finally did it and it got added into experimental builds a couple weeks ago. It does have some bugs that are being quickly found and squished but thats’ the point of the experimental builds versus stable releases.

Feel free to play the 0.E stable release from a month back to avoid the issue (especially if you’re new to the game).

The launcher allows you to easily pick which build you want to use or change to.

I have a massive amount of ‘New Player’ tutorial content on my YouTube channel if you want/need help getting into the game. Or ask here or on my Discord channel.

Yeah, I still have the old version I was playing before installed and I realize I can find a more stable newer version and then manually install the old tileset. I just didn’t have the patience for it. I’ll get back to it.

I decided to give this a go after all, but can’t even install the launcher. It is being flagged by my virus protection, and running as administrator AND making it an exclusion in BitDefender doesn’t solve it. Sigh.

Your videos look great though. You have a great delivery, which many others do not.

Disappointed, but not sure what else to do.

EDIT: This is a known problem.

Yeah, a couple times a year the virus profiles decide to flag the launcher since it copies/installs stuff. It’s an open source program that anyone can go look at and compile themselves if they desire. There are dozens of topics about it on Reddit/Discord/Discourse etc.

It’s perfectly safe but i can’t help you convince your AV software to give it a pass.

Thanks. I excluded the entire folder from the AV software and now CDDA installed fine. Off to learn this game! I am going to start with this one and work my way through.

That’s a great looking tileset. Do you explain how to get it and install it?

Thanks again for doing these, looking forward to it.

That’s my original Tutorial series which is now nearly 3 years old (on a game that gets half a dozen updates a day). It’s still about 90% valid/accurate but there will be some differences (and my sound/video quality has advanced significantly since then).

The most popular tileset (and the one i use in all my challenge series) is the Undead People tileset. You need to manually download and install it. You can get it here: https://github.com/SomeDeadGuy/UndeadPeopleTileset

Just download it by clicking the big green button, extract, open the folder and copy the MSX++UnDeadPeopleEdition folder into your CDDA/GFX folder. Then open the game and select it from the Options menu as your tileset.

You can add soundpacks and music similarly.

Do you have a start-from-the-absolute-beginning series that is more current? If not, this one will be perfect, even if there are differences. Thank you.

I am watching them on my ipad while I have the launcher and game on my laptop, side-by-side. Watching your series will take some time, but I think it will allow me to get the most out of the game, and spare me the sort of frustration I usually feel when I dive into complex games without bothering to learn them.

Very helpful, thanks!

I did a live-stream tutorial last year that is more up to date. It’s pretty much impossible for any information source to stay current for CDDA given the pace of development. I’ve been told the live-stream tutorial works well as background listening while you play your own game. It’s also focused on helping players understand the first few days of survival with demonstrations and explanations including the WHY of doing things.

Perfect. Plus we get to see what Vormithrax looks like!

Oh, hey, I had no idea you were on Qt3. Your tutorial series is how I finally learned the basics of playing this, which has quickly become one of my favorite games. Thanks so much for doing these!