Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead

So I loaded this tileset and my dude is wearing a face covering! Was that added because of the pandemic?

the doll avatar adds clothes graphics based on what you wear. Whatever starting character you picked has a face covering of some kind. that tileset also allows you to select variations of hair type as well as skill and hair color.

You’re welcome DrCrypt, i’m glad you found the videos helpful.

I did a bunch of your earlier University series that are very helpful for learning basics and UI stuff. Your more recent tutorial stream that you linked is very helpful for basic strategies.

One problem I face is that the Evacuee start now has you in a shelter now where the windows have no curtains! So the basic idea in the tutorial stream of tearing down the curtains to get a heavy stick, long string, nails and sheets is not feasible. I guess I have to figure out an alternative…

Yeah, not just the curtains(rags, strings) but a makeshift hammer and improvised lockpicks are not so easy to make anymore. Unless I am doing it wrong.

A pretty high number of shelter starts, I do notice on the local map there is another shelter not too far away, and the second shelter is usually fully curtained.

Ah… thanks!

There are two types of shelters, normal and vandalized. It’s random which you will get (there are 3 designs for each). You could just QYY and reset the world until you get a non-vandalized version. it would be nice if they ‘/’ key, used on the last page of character gen to select from possible starting locations, actually worked properly (i have seen a PR request to fix this).

I disagreed with the the change to vandalized versions of the shelters as that building is the ‘new player’ entry point for the game, but so far the change has not been reverted.

I found a way around this by reverting to an earlier build (0.D) for which the shelter is always normal. It also matches more closely with some of your earlier videos from a year or so ago.

That said, I’m still struggling with simple stuff like moving and manipulating items. The wield/drag/smash/disassemble/deconstruct kind of thing. A lot to remember, and I’m on the fence about keeping at it.

Hrmmm…reverting to 0.D would not be my recommendation. Way many other things got changed/improved since then that you also lost just for some curtains/lockers. You are correct that it will more closely match my early videos though.

Interface paralysis is real in CDDA. It’s a really big complicated game which is both a blessing (for variety, variability, and longer term playability) and a curse (sooooo many commands and mechanics to learn up front). All i can say is that it’s very much worth the effort you put in at the beginning to climb that learning cliff. the amount of content is just ridiculous and it’s constantly evolving/increasing so you can take long breaks and return to new stuff.

Free free to hit me up on my Discord channel sometime i’m not live-streaming and i would be happy to voice chat/guide you through any parts that are confusing.

To be clear, I was reverting only for a short time, to follow along your tutorial linked above.

Ima gonna keep at it, for now, thanks for your offer to help.

So I have made significant progress in learning the basics thanks to your two-year old Cataclysm University series. I am still using the older version of the game, as it matches perfectly with what you used for that series. Once I graduate, I will move back to the current version. This is one extremely helpful in learning about the very wield/drag/smash/disassemble/deconstruct thing that I had been struggling with.

The advanced inventory functionality is genius.

Yeah the advanced inventory has a lot of capability. It’s like one of those two-pane file managers like Total Commander, but for your geographic inventory in game.

Cataclysm: DDA - 0.F Stable has arrived!

Time to fire this bad boy back up again. Now, if I can just remember how to play.

They’ve made changes to the font/size config. Took me a while to figure out how to get my old settings back. Finally there but a PITA.

I’ve been playing this new version a lot with the core Magiclysm mod enabled. I like it a lot but, man, it’s really tough to get going. I can’t find any spellbooks except the starter book. Every single Wizard tower I go to (except the starting Wizard’s Vacation tower) is filled with plastic golems. That wouldn’t be so terrible if they were only on the starting floor, but no, they are on each and every floor. They are faster than me, hit like a truck and have massive health regen. How the heck are you supposed to deal with them? Do you happen to have any videos for a Magiclysm start by any chance?

Also, the game has changed a lot from the last time I played it. A lot of your starting tips to get ahead no longer work. I’ve found the game to be much harder in the early going now.

I don’t remember them being really that fast, are you using a levelled up Magic Missile? Don’t fight them in melee unless you have a good weapon and some protection. The ones in the towers are usually bound to specific areas and won’t chase you out, so you just need enough DPS to burn them down.

The game changes so much so fast, it’s impossible for any specific tutorials to stay current. I don’t know Magiclysm well, but I was frustrated with finding spells and such too. The game seems to assume a very mobile playstyle, where you get a vehicle and just drive around scouting and cherry-picking the goodies from screens and screens all around. I prefer more of a clear-area and hunker-down play, but there just aren’t enough quality items in most areas to support that at default settings.

Lots of changes yes, but the overall game-play at the beginning is actually easier that it used to be in general terms. Most of the instant-death stuff is gone as well as all the starting zombies now being the ‘default’ low level versions that have to evolve over time. No more starting cities full of shady/grabby/brute/shock stuff.

The combat mechanics have undergone fairly extensive changes that now require much more attention to stamina loss/recovery and the player is overall ‘weaker’ than previously which fits with the move toward simulation/realism modeling and away from the super-mutant-cyborg-of-doom play that was the usual for a long time.

Regarding guides - you get used to it. Absolutely NO tutorial/training/starting resource stays current for any appreciable length of time in this game. We had 9 different experimental builds yesterday alone with scores of changes between them (although this is a special case as 6 months worth of ‘feature-frozen’ content is currently being dumped into the experimental builds following last weeks 0.F stable release). It should settle down in a month or two to the usual slow 40 or so changes DAILY. You learn to ‘get the gist’ of whatever guide you are following and adjust for current conditions.

It’s the blessing and curse of CDDA that it changes so much/fast. Curse for the difficulty cliff new players must ascend, blessing for players that stick with it and constantly have new content/mechanics to explore.

Well, it’s level 12. The problem is, as soon as I open the the door they’re on me. If I manage to get out via some phase door luck I’m okay, otherwise they hit me every turn I’m running away. I did once manage to run away for a bit and then teleported inside back where the stair up is via random luck. I went upstairs but there was another pack or 4 or five there, too. I ran back downstairs but they followed me down, surrounded me and killed me. You can’t use magic missile on them without opening the door and opening the door means pretty much instant death in such close quarters.

I don’t know about that. I’ve been playing only 1 week of in-game time and so far I’ve had to fight shock zombies, brutes, hazmat zombies, zombie hunter-killers and one giant zombie with multiple heads. If that’s the intent, it doesn’t seem to be working very well.

Working fine. You CAN find those early due to the way the zombie half-life system works for evolution. But it’s no longer the NORMAL thing to find. Cities used to be absolutely stuffed with the things previously. There are also some ‘site specific’ enemies you can run across if you go near their location (Open Sewers for example usually have Technicians and Shock Zombies).

Re: Magiclysm - I like much of what the mod brings but I really have an issue with the way the spells are acquired. Every time i try to play one of the magic classes i can never find any more spellbooks for that class. Having all the non-start spells be randomly sprinkled about the game world is just bad design. I’ve spent dozens of hours trying to get new spells for specific classes i was trying to play with zero result. Gets discouraging fast. I would prefer an ‘unlock’ system where a class gets new spells by leveling up their associated ‘skill’.

Amen, preach it brother. That’s been exactly my experience as well. This is something I hope the mod author changes. I also hope he changes how overpowered the magic monsters he added to the game are. They are a magnitude tougher than the normal starting mobs. And they are also all over the place. It would help if he would restrict them just to areas that it would make sense for them to be.