Children of Morta isn't just an effective and borderline twee action RPG. It's a sentence.

I’ve been playing this couch co-op with my girlfriend for what feels like ages now, and we’re at the end, I believe. Going to be sad when it’s over, because it’s been a very fun game to share.

Let me know when you fight the end boss. I liked the game up until then.

The end boss threw away half of the gameplay loop. Specifically the dungeon exploration part. This invalidated some skills and builds.

We fought him and lost and went back to do some leveling, and in glad we did because we g found some more minor story beats that my girlfriend ended up really liking.

Should I look at those spoilers??

It is not a story spoiler more of a mechanic one.

This is one of at least three games in recent years where I stopped playing at the final boss (Blasphemous is the other one I can remember off-hand). Learning to beat it or leveling up more just didn’t seem worth it.

Oh, I looked at the spoiler and yeah that was a little disappointing.

Ending spoilers

The ending wasn’t that great too. It was pretty much a abusive relationship story with the abusers being forgiven and all is well IIRC.

The more roguelike mode of the game ended up being the better part of the game to me.

I have finally installed and played the intro, and its really good!

Ok so the bow girl is horrible , I guess its sword and board dad till I level up the fam.

My girlfriend loved Linda (right?). Which reminds me, we still need to finish this.

She was my 2nd favorite to play. I couldn’t do well with sword and board dad or the monk.

I’m not that far into this game (only unlocked the desert area), but what a pleasure it is to play. The graphics are mostly gorgeous, and the action feels awesome. And what a great way to pepper narrative content between and during the runs. This feels more narratively enjoyable to me than Hades (not that I’ve gotten very far in Hades).

Only complaint I have so far is that the desert area feels a little under-baked. The caves were gorgeous, and it feels to me like the game was designed around that area. The systems don’t suit an open town area nearly as well, and the wow-factor of the graphics just isn’t happening here.

Huh. Looks like this is getting a co-op boardgame version (crowdfunding later this year), and yeah, the family mechanics are a big part. Sounds interesting.

that experience might be better spent strengthening the bond between family members, which is represented by a bag-building mechanic shared between every player.

Though there’s also this:

Where players are sitting at the table may unlock unique tasks and reward support tokens through a particular support system based on which members of the family are next to each other. Over the course of several sessions, that closeness will flower into a special bond that transforms the solitary members into an undefeatable duo.

How does that work solo? Article says it’s for 1-4 players.

Probably the same way it works with multiple players, except that one player is controlling multiple characters! Solo or solitaire games mean “only one player”, not “only one character”. : )

Love me some Children of Morta, but what a weird property to decide to turn into a board game!