China. China China. ChinaChinaChina for the China

Survived 5 mass extinctions.
Dams and over fishing the culprit, the same issues that threaten much of the world’s remaining large fresh water fish.

This piece goes into a bit more detail.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/01/chinese-paddlefish-one-of-largest-fish-extinct/?fbclid=IwAR2365FC4yevRMMq7vVxCpEyRzrL2Srfc8QtI8ZwFCGijB8s4nMImKwuZao

That anything still lives in the Yangtze is a minor miracle.

I would just like to say that it seems like a real fuckin’ tightrope to walk between an overpopulation crisis and an underpopulation crisis. I’d have thought a historic low birthrate was something they’d been aiming for. Though I guess combined with increasing longevity it is a different kind of ticking timebomb.

Is 2 kids per couple the ideal birthrate? 2.5 to account for unmarried people? 1.9 to gently dial down the population? Surely someone’s done the math. Of course, even if you find the perfect birth rate, executing it without impinging on civil liberties is another matter (not one that China necessarily worries too much about, though).

Wait so it’s 1.48 fertility rate now?

I was surprised to see that Taiwan with fertility rate of 1.28 is the lowest in the world.

In few generation, there won’t be anybody left in Taiwan to oppose reunification, but with China declining population there also won’t a big demand for more land.

Wuhan has been quarantined, at least for public transport links.

I hope Winnie the Pooh catches it and dies.

I wonder if the general public in China will every hear about this? I doubt it.

Wuhan is a city of 11 million people, and supplies are stripped from the shelves. They know.

About the college student.

Second city on lockdown.

Now three…

My wife’s folks in Guilin, 500 miles away from Wuhan, can’t buy masks because they’re sold out.

On the bright side, my wife has locked herself down from shopping in Asian markets stateside till this passes, so I won’t have to eat so many vegetables

Dood the vegetables are the thing that will keep your body’s resistances up…!

My Toronto family just asked me for N95 masks because they are all sold out up there apparently.’

edit: ohh and now US Amazon is backordered too. Home Depot too.

Why is there no stockpile of these masks anywhere to hand out? Or is there?

While I guess I understand the sentiment, assuming stateside refers to the United States, this…comes across as kinda-pretty racist.

Just FYI.

My wife is from mainland China and became a US citizen last year. She’s avoiding shopping at her usual places due to concerns that people have recently flown back from home. What’s racist about it? Honestly curious.