China. China China. ChinaChinaChina for the China

Here’s a video taken by an expat living in Wuhan showing what the city looks like on lockdown as he goes grocery shopping

A highly contagious airborne disease? If only it was a totalitarian police state and they could …

oh, handy.

Not wearing latex/plastic gloves in that city is crazy. Transmission is much more likely from hands to eyes/nose/mouth than it is just breathing.

One of those headlines that unintentionally teaches me about two things: they have recreated it in China already, and now another country has done it.

There’s too many things to worry about and fear these days, with the seemingly very low fatality rate and the advances being made in the lab I think I will let the experts deal with this one and go back to freaking out about environmental crises. I do really feel sorry for the families of the victims and those in the lockdown, I hope the spread gets controlled quickly.

DPRKs biological programme has been going for decades, and i guess without any ethical concerns or even shortage of unwilling test subjects. No point in worrying about what might be hidden away, especially when the hemorrhagic fevers and smallpox are so much worse.

I’d ask if it was “research lab” or “biowarfare lab” but the answer would be “yes.”

The seemingly high transmission rate and possibly long incubation time does bother me a little with this outbreak. On the other hand I’m more worried about disruptions caused by reactions than I am about the dangers of the disease itself.

While this is scary, and over 100 people have died, haven’t many times more people died of the flu in the same amount of time?

This is mostly “scary” because it’s unknown, because it could mutate into something worse with no population immunity or vaccine, because the government response is brutal in specific areas and frustrating elsewhere. So far, the virus itself isn’t even a speedbump on overall disease incidence, and only kills elderly men with other health issues (that generation in China are notorious smokers, which amplifies pneumonia).

Russia didn’t (still doesn’t?) admit the lab accident it had last year assembling recovering the supposed ramjet nuke. Though only a handful of people working at the lab site died.

Stop the world. I want to get off.

I may have the facts wrong.

[edit]

Again, some perspective.

The death rate from the flu is .01%. The death rate from Corona virus is 2% (so far).

So, no, that is not perspective, and fuck CNN.

Source

I assume that’s death rate from confirmed infected people.

Which is a problematic number because we don’t have good numbers on unconfirmed/unreported cases. Most people do not seek help for a minor cold symptoms.

edit: oh, it IS a 2% rate.

this barely scratches the surface of the volume of racist incidents globally I am seeing

I got a hypothetical, you are in a crowded train and you notice a large group of Chinese tourists board your car and position themselves near you. Do you:

a) Ignore them and continue playing with your phone
b) Attempt to observe all of them one by one for signs of sickness under an increased heart rate
c) Quietly switch cars
d) shitbonzers

Asking for a friend.

do what I did when the Chinese trader was sniffing and coughing when stood next to me in the bogs yesterdsy, nothing at all

Having unfortunately spent some time on “mass” transit in redneck-ish areas, you left out an option for making sounds like “ping tong ding dong” while pulling up the corners of your eyes. Unless that falls under the shitbonerz umbrella.