Chloe Dykstra speaks out about her emotionally abusive ex

I hate to be the one to bring this up, because I hate hearing this news, but Chloe Dykstra has written an article about her unnamed ex-boyfriend who was a moderately successful podcaster who created his own hugely successful network. She details the three-year relationship at the hands of an extremely controlling boyfriend who would demand that she keep all of her personal time free for him, refused to talk with her in public for fear of being overheard, and basically required sex on demand.

In other news, The Nerdist website has issued a statement that they are no longer related with founder Chris Hardwick, and have even removed his name as founder of the hugely successful network.

Not sure if this belongs in the movies area, mod might want to move it.

Reading it, the five rules sound so crazy, I can’t believe someone would agree to terms for a relationship.

Yes this made an appearance in P&R as part of the Harvey Weinstein/ de facto #metoo thread. So i can see how that was missed.

It’s fine its here, but there has been some small discussion there already.

I’m sure I’m a horrible person. But I used to be as open-minded and liberal as possible about the whole thing with significant others having “just really good friends” of the opposite sex and living their own lives going out and doing whatever. You know, the whole, “Yeah, I go out and have drinks with them at night, don’t be silly or controlling, he’s just a friend,” thing.

Well, I ignored all of the signs in my own marriage because I did not want to be one of those controlling, manipulative males you read so much about on the internet. My wife went out at night with the guys from work, male friends, etc.

Surprise, surprise, my marriage ended with an affair with her “just a really good friend.” I’ve since read and researched it, and it happens a lot. Like really, a lot. It’s also happened to a number of friends of mine.

I no longer give a fuck what enlightened people think about this subject. I’m not interested in a significant other who insists on having a collection of (or even one) really close “guy friends.” I just don’t think it works. When you build intimacy and a close relationship with someone of the opposite sex who is not your significant other, there is too great a risk that it eventually crosses over. It also undermines the main relationship. To be blunt, I also know men. I’ve actually talked about this subject with many of them. Nearly all have admitted that even when a woman is a friend, they still think from time to time about fucking them. They may not push for it, they may not even actively think about it, but it’s there. You can’t get rid of fundamental biology. It’s a temptation that should not be there for someone in a committed relationship.

Obviously, this is subject to interpretation. I’m not talking about an occasional outing with people from work. I don’t expect someone to lock themselves in a hotel room. But I do expect my relationship with a significant other to be primary, and that does not include late night drinking apart, long trips apart, etc.

And to be completely fair, I apply exactly the same standards to myself. I have never cheated on someone in my life. I have no interest in doing it - it is so painful and destructive to another life, I never want to put someone through that. Even so, I will not put myself in positions with women that are disrespectful or worrisome to my significant other.

Fortunately, I have no interest in controlling someone. If they’re really interested in going out, maintaining male friends with relationships that are too intimate, etc., they are genuinely free to do so. I just take it as a sign they are not interested in a committed relationship with me, and they can have all the male friends they want.

All of the other shit in the article (not letting her drink, his first concern after her surgery being, “When can I have sex with her?”) is absolutely disgusting.

Apparently Hardwick has responded:

I don’t have much of an opinion on the he said/she said here, but I will say that when you’re being accused of sexual assault, saying “but actually she cheated on me” is a really bad look.

Dude, you really should talk to a therapist about this. It’s clear you have huge issues and this sort of thinking either 1) will ensure you never find another partner, or 2) is bound to be super manipulative and controlling of your next partner.

I’m just not sure how you manage this in practice, without setting a clear rule that your girlfriend must dump all her current male friends once you start dating.

You got burned. It sucks. But you should deal with your latent issues sooner rather than later.

Moved to the TV forum as he’s a TV guy.

Her word against his so far, she says she has evidence which would remove any doubt. Since he denied it, she should post that stuff and burn him to the ground.

Then, after my recovery, he and my mother were greeted by the doctor.

“The surgery went well, she’ll be fine,” said my doctor.

“Thank god,” said my mother.

“That’s great. When do you think I can have sex with her again?” said my ex.

It was his first question. My mother never forgot.

Insane. If it is true I hope she eviscerates his career.

Well that’s just being a pig, what’s illegal is the rape.

He might have “tried to be funny” with that comment, but even then that isn’t much better.

Oh I have no doubt he was, and depending on the delivery it could have been in some scenarios, but certainly not in front of her mother.

Even as a “joke” that is just mindblowingly disgusting (and quite revealing) thing to say.

He’s a stand up comic. I’m as certain as I could be (I mean, not being there or knowing anyone involved) he was trying to be funny, and it came across crass. Especially written out in text like that, where we can’t see any facial expressions or hear inflections. The mother may have found it in very poor taste (and he should have known her sense of humor better if that was the case, that’s on him to know his audience), and related it to her daughter later without that same context, making it sound worse than it was meant to be to her. Anything is possible. I think we should probably put down the pitchforks and torches and see what happens next, given Hardwick’s flat out denial (rather than the usual apology tour).

I did say “if true” - I am not a fan of pitchforking in general. But even as a joke, even from a stand up comic…it just seems like something only a total asshole would say, even as a joke, in a situation like that. Just my opinion.

He sounds socially awkward is what he sounds like, covering concern with comedy. I can’t imagine someone would be that intentionally callous in front of someone’s mother. Well, maybe some guy with no self esteem or self confidence.

As someone who fits that description, I can definitely say my natural reaction to serious and/or emotional situations is to joke about it.

I’m sure he’s got a degree of social anxiety, but he is also a well-known host and interviewer on TV and in podcasts. I have been listening the podcast for a few years now, and have never seen him stepping on someone’s vulnerable moment with a crass joke. He’s not that insensitive generally. It sounds like he systematically treated Chloe without respect, and still hasn’t realized that’s what he was doing.

If you read her story, it goes way beyond lack of respect into coercive sex and (borderline) rape, with her crying throughout the act. That is deeply fucked-up.

As in most of these relationships there was a deeply unequal power level; he’s a relatively wealthy C-list celebrity while she’s a hot girl 20 years younger.

Now is it possible she’s just a crazy broad making all this shit up to get back at her ex? I guess. Unless she posts her evidence we’ll never know for sure, his word versus hers. But it shouldn’t be a political statement to say you believe the victim by default.

Yeah, she threatened to release this damning evidence if he defended himself. I guess their private lives are about to get incredibly messy. I’m sure his wife appreciates all this scrutiny. One hopes he treats her more respectfully and compassionately.

Sorry! Totally meant to post this in Everything Else!