Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian

[B]Chris Avellone[/B] ‏@ChrisAvellone 8m8 minutes ago
I have officially left Obsidian Entertainment to accept a sudden opening as the Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor at Hogwarts.

[B]Chris Avellone[/B] ‏@ChrisAvellone 7m7 minutes ago
(The first part is serious, but much love and well wishes to my fellow devs, good folks one and all.)

Wonder what he’s going to be up to next?

Hopefully going to work full time on Torment!

Wow. I wonder where he will go.

Off to work on a f2p MOBA.

But with deep story elements.

It’s not like Harry Potter as an IP has been all that leveraged in the video game space, has it? Outside of LEGO?

Harry Potter inspired MOBA? On mobile so you can play it while riding your Nimbus?

Well, if you’re not already a complete misanthrope MOBAs truly can change the nature of a man.

Aww man. I really loved the team they had there. Well, he seems pretty open to freelancing out his writing talents; maybe they can draw him back in as needed ;)

Curse your wicked tongue, witch!

"Gwenyvar approached the tower cautiously. The buzzing and rattling of the structure’s light-jazzer was a constant thing. It warmed Gwenyvar slightly and made her think about the coming storm. She crept up under the darkened lip of the crenellation and held forth her serpent staff. Power, eldritch and haunted, blasted forth. The light-jazzer’s shaking intensified.

Suddenly, a swirl of red mist appeared atop the tower! Kavalar the Undying stepped out of the portal. Eyes burning with necromantic fire, he cursed Gwenyvar from beyond time.

‘Please purchase two FUNBUX TOKENS to proceed!’"

Huh, odd to see him leave. He’s a co-owner, so I wonder if he will continue to own a piece, or if the other owners bought him out?

He left to play Witcher 3 full time.

Only thing that makes sense!

An option is inXile. I wonder if (wild theory onwards) some of his wildest ideas in Pillars of Eternity were rejected or dumbed down by the rest of the devs, again (it wouldn’t be the first time it happens), while in the other hand the collaboration with inXile for Torment is going as a dream, making him want to jump companies.

…it’s actually doubtful. Both are mid-sized companies with a focus on rpg, except He is co-owner in Obsidian.

Would Bethesda for Fallout 4 be a possibility? Or would that be too advanced in development for that to happen?

Too advanced. We in June, the game will be released in October or November. I’m sure the writing and quests were locked time ago.

Ah, I must have missed the dates for it and thought it’d be some time next year. Thanks.

I kind of suspect it might be a move out of the industry. I mean, where would he be better positioned to do what he does than as part owner at Obsidian?

What’s good for a particular employee and what’s good for the company need not coincide … and being a part owner can make that conflict worse instead of better. For example, doing what you want to do is not always on the agenda when part of your responsibility is making sure you make payroll for your employees.

Oh, they haven’t said anything about the date. I’m just 90% sure. Given how they worked before, they usually don’t show their game too much time before the release date, usually just less than a year before the release.
And they are one of the biggest mainstream games that exist, so they HAVE to release it on Christmas. They would lose money otherwise.

Add to that their last game was released in 2011, and they usually need 4 years between games. It’s 2015 already.

As a consumer, I have to admit this doesn’t bother me too much. I’ve said elsewhere Obsidian is no longer my gold standard for RPGs. Maybe they could use a change of pace.

Wow. Obsidian games just went from day one to wait and see.