Christmas time and time to buy a console...which one?

Hey guys as a member here for over a decade(as WarrenD) and huge computer gamer, I am finally ready to pick up a console this Christmas and I desperately need your help and suggestions to decide between a PS4, Xbox One, and a Nintendo Switch. I have a pretty powerful laptop for some strategy games like Endless Legend and AoW and classics like Planescape Torment Enhanced.
So far I have been really impressed with the Switch and the idea of a gaming tablet that will easily hookup to a big screen tv… but worried that there seems to be mostly arcade games available for it.
Anyway will buy one of these machines this week so any opinions here will be much appreciated and for sure seriously considered before any purchase.
Thanks…

Why are you deciding to pick up a console now? The answer to that will make a big difference for which one makes the most sense. What types of games do you like besides strategy games and CRPGs? Those two genres are far and away best represented on PC, so you’re not really expanding your available library all that much.

Personally, if I were buying one console to supplement a PC, I’d go with the Switch, both because the portability fills a different niche than PCs do, and because I find Nintendo’s first-party releases more appealing than the other platform holders. But if there’s an exclusive you really want on one of the others, that’s fine too. PC, PS4, and XB1 all share a large common core library, so look at what you are gaining access to that you didn’t have before.

Microsoft is having a deal on Xbox One S on November 23. 189.00, free game and months subscription.

I am tempted by it, since I can also make it my main Skype machine in the living room. And Blu Ray player.

Thanks for that as it kind off reinforces what I am thinking myself.
As to why I am buying a console is convenience, what little time I have to game these days is helped by having a portable console…my phone just doesn’t cut it.
Plus I have a couple of University students living with me now that think its just too cool not to have lol.

Why two accounts?

If you do pick one up, I’d recommend Mario + Rabbids if you’re a fan of turn-based strategy. It’s more turn-based tactics in the same vein as XCOM but it scratched a similar itch to me as Steamworld Heist. It’s perfect on the go too, being turn-based and all. I’m not a huge fan of Mario, the Rabbids or Firaxis’ XCOM but it totally won me over. Definitely worth a look if you’re interested in the Switch.

I haven’t tried Switch more than like an hour of Zelda, but I didn’t enjoy the game or found any reason good enough to carry that thing around with me.
As for Xbox, I have an old 360 at home now to play some old games so I can’t really say anything about it that would be fair, other than that I don’t like the controller (except the elevated left stick, that’s just genius, don’t know if they still make them like that).

I’ve had a PS3 and a PS4 and I don’t think I’d want to change any time soon. I like Sony and the games they are releasing exclusively for PS are right up my alley.
I checked out Xbox One and the upcoming unique releases but nothing really interested me there.

So there is my very easy going opinion. :)

Oh and I’ll second what Thraeg said too.

Then probably go for the Switch, it offers the most distinct experiences from PC.

Being a strategy and RPG person myself, there is nothing that would tempt me on the Xbone or PS4. But Nintendo offered the most unique experiences that are not on PC. Plus the form factor, since you mention short and portable, make it an easy sell.

Also Metroid Prime 4. That has me salivating for the return of my second favorite series ever (first being Europa Universalis).

The Switch was my favorite thing I bought this year, and that includes a nice 49" HDR/4K TV, a PS4 Pro (technically very late 2016 I got this), a PS Vita, and a 144hz G-sync display. I have so much fun every time I spin it up, and I really like the games I’ve played on it so far. Zelda is probably my GOTY, while stuff like Mario Odyssey and Mario+Rabbids are just freaking great. The hardware is so perfect, from how it feels to hold undocked to how easy it is to go from playing on the TV to playing on the couch. That’s my vote. And I’m primarily a PC gamer, fwiw.

With the Xbox One, you can also play a large portion of the Xbox 360 library and they just started adding titles from the original XBox. These older games are all available through download and you can always buy physical copies of the older 360 games on the cheap.

So if you missed out, that’s three generations of console games playable on One.

You’ll get a lot of people recommending the Nintendo Switch and I agree that it offers the thing that’s most different from the PC. It’s portable and its library will be somewhat exclusive because Nintendo doesn’t make games for anything else (other than your phone… and the 3DS). The thing that concerns me in your post is that you say you see “mostly arcade games” for it. While I think that’s selling the lineup short, the Switch library is likely to emphasize action games. Maybe that won’t be for you?

PS4 and Xbox One are largely similar machines with similar games. The big third party stuff you can already play on your PC is playable there too. PS4 has a larger installed base of gamers so it’s easier to find players online if you enjoy online play, especially in more niche titles that appear on both. Microsoft has a couple of excellent exclusives if you want a really great driving game (Forza) or you love Halo (which we do at my house). Microsoft does seem interested in letting you play almost everything on either Xbox or PC though, so frankly, I don’t think the value is there for someone who wants to add to their possibilities. All it really does is give you an affordable option to play PC-like games and your back catalog of Xbox 360 games on the TV. PS4 at least offers exclusives, the possibility of VR with an additional purchase, and better in game performance on the standard box. If you really want to go “Pro” then Xbox One X has more power, but also has that game catalog issue where there isn’t much that’s exclusive to sell it and a good PC will still be on par.

For PC gamers, I think the Switch is the best console option if they want unique experiences for console gaming to supplement their PC gaming. If you just want to move your PC gaming to your TV, either hook up a PC to your TV and get an Xbox 360 wireless dongle and four controllers or go for the PS4 at the low end and an Xbox One X at the high.

That’s not even getting into same room multiplayer, where I think Nintendo always offers a lot more for people to enjoy starting first and foremost with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. The next best option there is also the PC with that 360 dongle setup tbh.

I’m tempted at $189 just to play Ninja Gaiden Black.

What are the odds they announce another wave of backwards compatibility before Black Friday? Ninja Gaiden 2 would make it worth it.

If you already have a gaming PC, don’t have friends on any of the consoles, and want an experience that’s truly different, I agree the Switch is the way to go-- if and only if you actually want to play Zelda, Mario, and Splatoon, because those three games are pretty much it.

If you don’t care about those games, look at the exclusives on Xbone and PS4. PS4 has all the naughty dog games, Bloodborne, Nier Automata, Persona 5, and The Last Guardian. Xbone has Halo and… umm, nothing else of note I can think of that isn’t also on PC.

C’mon, man. There’s a rather large library already and most people will tell you that all the Nintendo released games so far have been pretty great, even if they’re not your cup of tea. Pokken Tournament DX is an excellent fighting game. Mario + Rabbids is a super tactical game. ARMS is also a unique take on fighting. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the best Mario Kart of them all. Fire Emblem Warriors is a really awesome amalgamation of the Warriors game style and Fire Emblem.

That’s just silly to say it only has three games.

I included Mario Kart under Mario but you’re right, it deserves to be counted too. The others are much smaller titles unlikely to drive a console purchase like Bloodborne or Halo unless he specifically enjoys the genre. Mario, Zelda, and arguably Splatoon are console-sellers on their own.

PS4 and particularly Xbone have very few exclusives this generation too, particularly if you already have a gaming PC. The main difference is with a PS4/Xbone you also get all the cross-platform titles, but he doesn’t care about that.

For me, anything that I could be playing, I’d rather be playing on my PC than my PS4. The performance is significantly better (even on a Pro) and I can play with a more accurate controller. For the times I want to play on my TV, I can grab a controller and play via my Steam Link.

The Switch changes that with it’s portability. There are times I’m not around my desk or my couch and want to play a game. I’ve only had my Switch for a few days but I’ve already used it more than the PS4 the entire time I’ve had it for that reason.

What games are available for free?

Generally there is at least one announcement a week, sometimes two, either on Tuesday and/or Thursday. They announced 4 more about a half hour ago, though none were Ninja Gaiden 2.

So after reading this thread, I end up wanting a Nintendo Switch, and Xbox One X and a PC.

Damn.