Christopher Nolan's TENET (2020)

This really just sounds like action hero machismo power fantasy.

Adding to the Roland derail, by the time the books really start Roland has seen way more shit than the main character of TENET. E.g. raised as a child soldier, death of his society, death of everyone he cared about, a personal body count in the triple digits, etc. etc. It’s been decades since the dude has seen toilet paper. I feel like even your above average CIA operative is unlikely to be in the same class as him.

But they also know that Oslo is only guarded by airport security, and that said security will be breached at an exact time.

Whereas, they can’t use the Tallinn turnstile because not only will it not be under their control, but to control it would disrupt the flow of events leading up to the Tallinn heist.

Fair enough.

Since they needed to wait a week anyway to heal Kat, and whatever time gap there was between Agent P freezing in the car explosion vs Niel’s inverted rescue.

Best to go with the knowns vs the unknowns.

My small brain cannot comprehend the plot after watching a rental yesterday night but this article seems to sum it up pretty good.

Pretty sure I posted it before, but this is a pretty good overview of events:

I enjoy the huge number of explanation and diagram videos that the movie has spawned as people try to explain various parts of the movie.

It’s also cool to see an overhead view of all the different copies each character has running around at once in certain scenes.

https://youtu.be/3zBotcenHb4

This is very cool indeed!

That’s a great visual. I see there are others on the channel.

I’d love to see a mockup of the whole movie like that.

After posting the visual I ended up watching the entire movie again… for like the 7th time.

This is such a fun movie.

I just watched this movie for the first time last night.

I know it came up, but the sound mix early was horrid. Trying to keep the action scenes quiet enough so that we didn’t wake the kids, hi opera house, you bastards, while making the dialogue audible was irritating as hell. Maybe if I wasn’t having to worry about that and could crank things up it would have been fine, but my god was that making things more difficult.

I also didn’t quite get the stakes. Why was the main character so invested in this girl? I feel like I missed something for why he cares.

The concept is interesting, and I am sure it has some kind of puzzle box construction. And in fact the last hour I was really digging. The Oslo freeport round 2? That was exactly what I was wanting.

Ultimately I have no idea if I like it or not. I’d need to watch it again. It does lean a bit too much into cleverness for its own sake. Unlike Inception, which goes for a similar intricate plotting but one that is able to be legible the first time but has details and nuance that only comes on repeat views, this one just makes no sense at first.

And again, part of that may have been the audio mix pushing the dialogue down so far that I couldn’t hear it without risking waking 3 sleeping kids. Yes Christopher I know you design it for the theater experience, but some of us have families so maybe don’t ruin it for those who are watching for the fist time another method, especially when the film came out during a pandemic you auteur asshole.

Subtitles is the only solution for this. It’s annoying.

I believe that.

Not good Chris.

I remember having to do the same thing for Heat years ago. But I’ve long since moved to just keeping subtitles on all the time.

For some reason it was a mental barrier for me - maybe I thought turning on subtitles made me officially “old,” but now I just do it when I need to. They’re always on for Nolan movies and for The Expanse now.

A belter has never said one damn thing worth understanding anyway.

Haha, no- people were complaining about that in the theater, too, and looking forward to watching it at home with subtitles so they could understand just what the hell the characters were saying.

Whateva you sez boss man.

Yeah, seeing his movies in theaters doesn’t help. I didn’t see TENET in a theater, but I did see Interstellar, and the audio mix was even worse with the billion-watt surround sound and no chance for subtitles.

I love most of Nolan’s movies and even the ones I don’t love I can appreciate for what he was trying to do, but his insistence on drowning out dialogue at times is perplexing and annoying to me.

See I’ve never had this issue with any of his other films, or at least not enough for me to ever notice or have it detract.

I think it was when the opening was so loud, then talking that was so quiet to the point where it woke my youngest child put me in a very low tolerance for the audio mix.