Chrome Has Gone To Hell

In the Mac world, if you got them through the App Store, they are all sandboxed and limited on what they can do. I also trust my Mac apps more than I trust my Windows apps. On a Mac they are mostly made from small developers who just want to make a good app. I had Little Snitch installed, and the worst offenders for phoning home always seem to be apps by corporations. I have 24 apps running right now, but they aren’t necessarily doing anything.

On Windows, being a gamer in the 90s brainwashed me into thinking anything that stays running is taking up precious system memory and must be killed. So I use Windows very differently than my Mac.

You should. I quite like Edge, it’s a good browser. I hate Chrome though. Anything is better than Chrome. So I might be biased.

When I shut down Win 10, I only see Steam as a program that has to die. It happens quickly. I don’t sleep my system or just close the laptop anymore. More trouble than it is worth. Shut down fucker and let proggies die.

One thing Win10 definitely has going for it over MacOS, it’ll reboot no matter what. Whether you have unsaved docs or not, Win10 doesn’t GAF.

Tell that to my work laptop. I have Outlook set to delete it’s trash on close. If I try to reboot/shutdown without closing Outlook, that stops it dead. Or the other day I pulled my ID card out of the card reader as it was shutting down, that caused it to lock up. Also my work computer is a complete POS.

Old redneck guy: Okay. I see your problem here.

Thunderbird freezes all the time on Windows too sadly.

Our work email is the web version of Outlook, which is the most god-awful piece of crap I’ve ever had to work in.

Why?! Is your company on the whole Office suite web based only?

my laptop does this. It’s the specific website. I think ads.

Try having a unsaved notepad window open as you press shut down.

On my computer it would just ‘log me out’ and sit there waiting…

On the flipside my PC has gleefully tossed a couple of important unsaved Notepads to apply doofy windows updates

I know I know save your work but ugh don’t you see that I’m DUMB??

Oh yea, Windows Update does whatever it wants, because User Agency got removed in WIndows 10. You’re now a vassal of “Big Data” and their whims.

I also keep forgetting those notepads, and sometimes I save them and end up with ‘too many’ of those temporary text files around. Guess I should be better at using onenote, but all the damn office updates and testing out new features/removing them feels like guinea-pigging… Maybe I should go back to making written notes instead, using my chicken-scribble-font.

Notepad++ has/had a rare bug that causes the program to crash and turn the file you’re working on into a empty zero-byte file. No shutdown required!

It is a college, and 9 of us all share duties answering student email. Our cheap-ass IT likes free stuff and this is what we get.

uMatrix has been discontinued now too. Pity.

Why, did you actually use it? Umatrix is a huge pain in the ass, uBlock Origin is much better for pretty much everybody.

uMatrix is great. Discontinued? You can still download it so whats the problem, i.e. does it need more features?

Does Ublock Origin even offer the same level of control. From what I’ve seen it looks like it falls somewhere between one of the adblockers and umatrix.

For me uBlock Origin just works. I’m pretty sure that’s the point. If you want a blocker that needs fiddling, more power to you.

It’s no longer in active development. Someone else could fork it, if they wanted to.

No, uBlock is nowhere near as powerful. But it is a lot more appropriate for most people’s use cases.

My new router is like that. It’s an appliance. So I can’t pick AES vs TKIP mixed mode or whatever. There’s no options and they hide everything. It is a pain in the ass to troubleshoot. Sure, make things into appliances but if you do make sure they are as reliable than appliances.

Actually appliances aren’t reliable anymore what am I talking about… lucky if you get 5-10 years out of anything.