Cities: Skylines is a piping hot bowl of SimCity comfort food

Well, so now this is officially a Disaster. Ha, get it? Because of the Disasters DLC? Get it?

Actually, I like this game, despite Paradox citing my review of this and Crusader Kings II (another game I like) as evidence that I’m teh biased against them. I haven’t fiddled with it much sense the release, so I’m curious to see how it’s coming along and what, if anything, disasters do to the challenge level. Who else has reinstalled?

-Tom

So at first glance, this is pretty underwhelming. The disasters are just there on the terraforming menu. Load up your biggest city, drop a meteor on it, shrug, and reload. You can build shelters and set evacuation routes, so that might be an interesting resource sink/diversion if you’re playing with random disasters turned on. But why would you?

But then I see that there are a couple of scenarios under the “new game” option. How long have these been in the game?

For instance, here’s one obviously added with the disasters DLC, called Tornado Alley:

So not only do you have to weather the tornados, but you have to set up an infrastructure to make sure not too many people die! Nifty. One of my complaints was that the game didn’t ship with any challenges like these. Glad to see there are a couple in there now.

-Tom