City Builder / Colony Manager General Discussion Thread

Well, that’s unanimous then. Now I just need to find the time to get to it. Thanks all!

Let us know how you get on. I always enjoy talking city-builders or seeing pictures of people’s creations.

Funnily enough, roughly the same time as I was posting about Lethis and Lethis 2 a new dev blog post went up. I guess the most important take home note might be that the sequel will be using Unity as its engine, so I’ve no idea what the first game used. I always enjoy receiving an insight into a game’s inspirations, art direction and such.

http://triskell-interactive.com/the-art-of-lethis-path-of-progress-ii/

Judgement: Apocalypse Survival Simulation (Or J:ASS) released 1.0 on Steam yesterday. It’s a game I’ve owned in EA and played a few times. It has a mixture of colony management, colony builder, survival, and some RTS with pause-able battles. Difficulty scales as time goes by, and as you venture further out from your base. I think a lot of you would like it.

edit: Damn, I have to remember to check the indie games thread before posting these.

I am considering buying this for the weekend. I just need to decide on what difficultly level to play at considering that I doubt Ill do more than one full play though. I want a challenge, to be sure, but I also do not want to end up losing because I am just learning the game.

For those of you who are not adverse to Early Access titles, this one is getting some decent reviews on Steam, and is currently on sale. I have my own issues with EA, but once in a while I still will jump on some that look good and have active developers. This will probably be one.

Here’s another compilation video of upcoming CBCM titles. Some new, some seen before. Play list is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA9zqbsKqtM

1. Depraved - Coming July 20 on Steam
  2. Foundation - Q4 - Alpha starts June 26 (10 days!) and can be accessed with pre-purchase direct from developer here: http://polymorph.games/foundation/
  3. Ostriv - ? Very little info. Not on Steam yet. Mentioned by @SamS 2 months ago. Website here: https://ostrivgame.com/home/
  4. Akhenaten - Very brief clip. Not much info. On Steam but no release date.
  5. Hard Ancient Life - Q4, Steam. Looks like Cleopatra all grown up.
  6. Ancient Cities - Green Lighted, but not on Steam yet. Website: https://www.ancient-cities.com/
  7. Dawn of Man - Q4, Steam
  8. Industries of Titan - 2018, Steam
  9. The Universim - Aug 28, Steam
  10. Tropico 6 - 2018, Steam
  11. Anno 1800 - very small teaser clip. Not on Steam yet.

Cliff Empire is pretty damn good, even more so when you factor in the asking price.

I can remember seeing Ostriv in a City Builder video montage at the beginning of 2017. I’m guessing that’s either a single person or a a very small team.

I see that Kingdoms and Castles is still getting content patches. Is it worth a end of Steam Summer Sale buy?

8a11227720492aa41c63719a8b4d58cd7cf63368

I sort of liked the base game when it came out. It certainly felt mechanically sound. But it was really missing something. They’ve had two major content patches since I’ve played last – the merchant patch or whatever, and now this. Going to jump back in this weekend.

Yeah, I agree. I think what it’s missing is a point. The colony building is good, but there just isn’t an end goal yet. I’m sure it’s being worked on.

It wouldn’t be a bad purchase at 25% off, as it is being actively worked on and what is there is really good.

I also agree: fairly cool mechanics and design but nothing to really drive the player forward when I played it a couple patches ago. If the new patches have added some direction to the game, please let us know, triggercut.

(I think it was a while ago in this thread, so) I’ll close the loop by stating that i picked up Zeus & Poseidon for $5 in the steam sale and I’m looking forward to trying it out!

One tip on Zeuz (and all the Impressions city builders after Caesar III): use roadblocks to keep your housing-service workers in the housing blocks. Also, you get the best bang for buck if you set up blocks that your workers can circulate around rather than going back and forth.

Also, if you want some specific details for Zeuz/Poseidon: The shortest range of a key housing support worker is 27 squares, so the smallest square that all of your workers will go around the circumference is 54 squares. To be safe, make the square 52 squares, and you are guaranteed that all workers will service all houses adjacent to the road square. So a housing block where all the houses touch an interior road square of 12X12, 16X8 and so forth works extremely well. If you have enough flat land, you can get something like 2,500 population in a single housing block, living very well indeed.

Thanks! I never quite got to the tile-counting level with Pharaoh, preferring a more casual approach, but I think I go pretty close intuitively. But keeping a couple simple numbers in my head will probably help, no doubt.

I’m going to assume this thread covers Rise of Industry, even though it seems to skew toward the economic side of things. Quill18 just did a Twitch stream of it, and the game looks pretty good. A lot of the game seems to center around setting up production chains so to produce beer you have to grow hops, get water, grow yeast, make glass, etc etc etc. Eventually it seems things get pretty complicated, and though the game looked very solid, I didn’t see a way to view all these complex relationships on one screen… seemed he had to go visit each factory or production plant individually, which seems like a lot of shuffling around (I’m hoping there either Is a screen that Quill was not aware of, or that they add one prior to launch).

One thing I did get from the the part of the stream I watched was that they plan to release a 1.0 version and then add multiplayer post launch in a patch. Not sure how well that’ll work but at least there won’t be any delay in the initial release due to them trying to squeeze in multiplayer.

After seeing the stream this is definitely on my list!

It has a reasonably big dedicated thread:

Doh, search failed me!!!

There’s a new game out on Steam called Settlements. Fairly decent reviews so far. Anyone try it?

[quote=“Spect, post:199, topic:134660, full:true”]
There’s a new game out on Steam called Settlements. Fairly decent reviews so far. Anyone try it?
[/quote], but

It’s been on my wishlist but $19 is too risky a gamble.

[edit] Watching a Let’s Play I’m picking up a strong Thea:The Awakening vibe but deeper. This may turn out to be a birthday present to myself.