City Builder / Colony Manager General Discussion Thread

Looks like ISLANDERS and The Colonists recently received new updates!

Those are decent updates on both titles, thanks for posting.

I really like The Colonists as a builder/manager game. It does some interesting things.

The game play in Islanders is a bit too puzzle-like for me. It’s all about where you place the buildings to maximize “points” which the game uses to score your progress. Function/logistics/aesthetics all don’t matter.

Would also mention Imagine Earth here. Another decent game with interesting mechanics that I’ve been playing recently, and having fun with.

I think the game is quite interesting in this regard. In order to maximise points you often end up with something that looks like a functional, logistically sound and pretty island!

E.g. all the town’s clustered about, and then the industry etc

Oh my!

That reminds me, a friend is hard at work on this. Similar core idea, but different atmosphere. I’ve played an early demo, and I think it’s going to be good.

The text in that banner gives me anxiety.

Soon all city builders will be in the sky!

Bioshock Infinite Builder!

So Constructor Plus is releasing:

I recall spending a fair amount of time with DOS original. But don’t actually remember much about it!

What a suprise!

I always wanted to play the original, but couldn’t find it in the shops. Then later when it was available on abandonware sites I couldn’t get it to work without crashing. I had no idea there was a hd version, or now this

I don’t recall liking it, but that was like what? 20 years ago?

Noooiiiiice!

Did we ever decide that Tycoon-ish games belong here? Well either way, I just picked up Rescue HQ, which is like Two Point Hospital and the like. Similar graphics, but now we’re dealing with setting up an HQ for fire, police and medical responders. I enjoyed the first mission, and looking forward to more. Also, this has my new favorite main menu music ever. Awesome, simple grove track. I left it on while doing some work earlier.

Oh this could be awesome! Please play more and tell us how it holds up!

I’m just waiting to see what the Two Point folks do next. Come on Two Point Startopia…

My rule of thumb is that all (modern) games called X Tycoon are rubbish until proven otherwise. So many terrible moneygrabbing shallow clones from the early 2010s. It does seem to have died down a bit now, or at least migrated to iOS.

This looks promising (still in EA, 2020 ETA.)

This does look interesting. If they do both aspects well, I would be very excited about this.

Ok I’ve put some time in, and overall it’s a good game. I’m enjoying my time with it, and will play some more. I have a few issues but they’re minor.

It’s very much like Two Point Hospital, in that you create the rooms and place the furniture needed to run a profitable Rescue HQ. You also have to buy each rescue vehicle, hire the staff and unlock better kits and furniture with points that you earn on every mission. Emergencies come in and they each require a certain amount of people (police, fire & medical) as well as kits (swat gear, foam extinguishers, haz-mat suits, etc) and enough vehicle space to carry it all. You select what all to send to the emergency, and then you watch them load into the vehicles and depart. You don’t see the actual event. The vehicles come back and it either passes or fails (you’ll see a chance % when you load up). Then you use the money you make from passing events to expand and grow until all the space is used up.

My main issue is that I wish they used Two Point’s progression plan. There are only 2 maps in the base game, Berlin and San Francisco. There are also 2 harder versions of these, which basically just limits the usable space. While there’s not much of a story driving the game forward, there are story line events that you have to prepare for, but these are limited and come with very little flavor. For example, you might be told that next week there is a big soccer tournament coming to town, so you need to have extra medical staff and cast-setting equipment on hand. Then during the time of the tournament, you will see an increase in medical emergencies. That’s about it.

Sounds like it needs more depth and a better campaign then?