City Builder / Colony Manager General Discussion Thread

I couldn’t find my disc so I did end up repurchasing this on Origins. There’s quite a bit of installation difficulty on Win7, but it seems to just work on my win10 box. I think that’s the first time I’ve seen a repackaged old game work better on a more recent Windows OS.

It also is perfectly happy to run the game at 3840x2160 and the interface scales correctly, which was a pleasant surprise.

I run a lot of older games, and to be honest, I have a better time getting them to run on 10 than I ever did on 7. It’s so weird.

Alright, time to add another one to the wishlist! Got ourselves a two man effort coming out of Prague in the Czech Republic. Freshly announced as of a few days ago.

This looks so much like Pharoah it’s kind of scary… but that’s not necessarily a bad thing either.

Thanks for posting that!

Wishlisted so hard.

Wow, it’s like the battle of the two-man European teams. Nebuchadnezzar vs. Aztec Empire!

I love that both of these are under development. Makes it that much more likely that one or both will capture that Impressions spirit!

OOPS – Did we niot already talk about Aztec Empire here?

I hadn’t seen anything on it so thanks for posting that too!

Judging from the trailer, if it is basically an Impressions game where you can customize the walker routes, I’m sold! The one thing that turned me away from those games is that you always had to make nonsense roads to deal with the walker system. Everything else was great.

Yeah Roadblock system really kind of sucked. I am glad we moved away from that. I kind of liked the circle/radius better but customized walker might work even if it’s a little micro. A little micro in a city builder is okay.

So there are two… just like each other in development, neither released?

Wasn’t there a steampunk-ish attempt at an Impressions-style city builder in the works? How did that come out?

Lethis?

Yup, that’s it, thanks. Did you give it a try?

I did not. Everything I read and heard said it was kind of weak for my tastes, so I wound up passing.

Ok, thanks!

I’ve played Lethis, and it’s pretty cool if what you want is an Impressions-style “walker” game, where the shape of the city depends on walker AI rules (so, e.g., don’t put in a bunch of intersections.) It’s not stunningly deep, but it’s pretty in its retro way and the magepunk theming is fun.

Walker builders aren’t my thing, but it was worth the $10-ish I paid for it on sale (it’s $20 at the moment.)

I think if you can catch it sale on GOG or Steam you can’t go too wrong with it, plus it helps support a small Indie developer if that matters to you at all. It doesn’t evolve the genre beyond the standards set by Zeus or Emperor, but it is certainly competent at what it does and has a charming art style to it. You will get a decent amount of playtime out of it just going through the 26 mission-long campaign, and there are various different sandbox maps if you just want to build a Victorian-esque Steampunk city without constraints.

I would say it is similar to Zeus in terms of where it sits for difficulty, being on the easier end of the spectrum. Does not quite have the enduring depth that hardcore veterans of the Impressions Games wanted, but given the feats achieved (like whole cities in Pharaoh fed by one water carrier) by some of those people you would honestly be hard pressed to please them in the long run with most games.

Which reminds me, Lethis - Path of Progress was ported by Seaven Studios to the Nintendo Switch very recently. It actually controls quite well using the Joycons on the Switch with the control scheme and UI modifications they implemented, and it has partial touch support too.

Thanks everyone! I certainly prefer a less intense city builder (typically I go one above the default difficulty) so maybe this would be right up my alley…

Holy crap guys and gals. You seen this?! This is my new “most excited” upcoming city builders game.

According to their Facebook page it’s due out in 2Q2019, so uh, I guess it’s late. Looks like a small developer.